Bunch of Statistics After 3 Games

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
There have been fewer stupid, forced throws made than most other quarterbacks make, though. That's the thing. He's not really a significant part of the teams trouble. Again, he's one of the only ones playing ABOVE expectations, and significantly so.

Almost every single method of evaluation agrees. From your PFF type evaluation, to basic passing stats, to advanced stats.

Another chart. PFF on one axis, EPA+CPOE on the other.

I don't know what more can be said. It's nearing objective fact that his performance has been comparatively good.

1.25 TD's a game isn't going to get it done

hoxrox

Reaction score
Yes the PPG metric is much more meaningful than what quarter points were scored on.

Now we can have a real conversation about the offense.

For starters, I think Waldron can call better plays in the redzone.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Scoring for 3 quarters? They have 3 POINTS TOTAL on offense in the 2nd half of 3 games. They are scoring for TWO quarters on offense. Come on, standards should be a little higher. So we can't expect too much because it's just Geno? Geez man. People waving the guy's pom poms, but don't care that he hasn't lead them to a single TD drive in 3 straight second halves?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Well, Geno's actually throwing 1.3 TDs a game. Again, not enough, but which one of the potential QBs we could of had is throwing more? Russ isn't, Mayfield isn't, and he's right in line with Garoppolo.

Again: To this point, we have the best possible QB play we could have gotten and significantly better than what a number of you thought we'd get. So now we're worried about why Geno isn't playing like a future HOF'er since we had to move the goal post away from him being a legit starter?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Scoring for 3 quarters? They have 3 POINTS TOTAL on offense in the 2nd half of 3 games. They are scoring for TWO quarters on offense. Come on, standards should be a little higher. So we can't expect too much because it's just Geno? Geez man. People waving the guy's pom poms, but don't care that he hasn't lead them to a single TD drive in 3 straight second halves?
Way to ignore the majority of my point so you can say the exact same thing you've already said. Did you even read it? The second half of three games equals 1 and a half games, where we've only had 75% of the drives we've had on offense and where we typically have much worse starting field position.

Yeah, because people are actually claiming he should be a HOF. Exaggerate much?
No, I'm implying that you have simply moved the goalposts in order to avoid having to re-evaluate your preconceived notions. Geno's playing better than the majority of starting QBs in the league, which I was assured wouldn't happen. So now, instead of being happy that we've got better than average QB play, we're supposed to get upset because we don't have great QB play?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I want the QB to lead his team to some scoring drives in the 2nd half of games. Is that too much to ask?
I feel like I'm in the fricken Twilight Zone. Geno Smith is all the sudden not allowed to be criticized in any way. And IF you want him to, oh I don't know SCORE SOME POINTS in the 2nd half of games, you're being unrealistic.

I give up, I'd have better luck clapping with one hand.

beaumaris

Reaction score
Way too much fuss made about this. Turns out the Broncos and 9ers defense is pretty good?

Guess who also only scored 3 points in a half yesterday? KC. Doesn't mean much. But looks like I cherry pick stats to spin a narrative too.
Nonsense.:oops:

hoxrox

Reaction score
Well, first of all: If he's playing well (as you say), why would he be a focal point of criticism for the team?

Additionally, we're only 3 games into the season. Each game has an overinflated import on stats, so by focusing on only one half (or worse, one quarter) across only 3 games means you are focusing on a smaller version of an already limited set of data and at the same time, failing to acknowledge how situational differences.

For example, you are ignoring that we've had 14 first half drives to only 10 second half (technically 11, but one was a kneel down drive, so counts for nothing). As you might expect, you are more likely to score points when you have more chances to score points.

Additionally, outside of one game, we've had worse starting position in the second half of games. (The game where we had better? The Atlanta game, the only one we scored in the second half... but we also only had 3 drives in the second half of that game and only 1 in the fourth quarter where the damn QB led us all the way to the 10 before he got screwed by a BS holding call.)

Limiting your analysis of Geno to only the second half (or worse, 4th quarter) of games when you've already got only 3 games worth of data to begin with means you are making your argument from at worst 3 quarters to at best a game and a half worth of data.

I wonder how many QBs in the league I could make the 'Why does this guy suck so bad in the 'Insert Quarter of Your Choice' argument for?
How come Tom Brady doesn't any have any first half TD throws?
Do you know how many 4th quarter TDs Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes have thrown for combined? 1.
In fact, Geno's 68.1 passer rating in the 4th quarter is pretty anemic, but it's practically a HOF performance compared to Mahomes 41.2.
Good points.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
I want the QB to lead his team to some scoring drives in the 2nd half of games. Is that too much to ask?
I feel like I'm in the fricken Twilight Zone. Geno Smith is all the sudden not allowed to be criticized in any way. And IF you want him to, oh I don't know SCORE SOME POINTS in the 2nd half of games, you're being unrealistic.

I give up, I'd have better luck clapping with one hand.
Again: Why is HE the focus of your criticism? Not the OL who kills his drives with penalties? Or DK, who fumbled the ball on one of our most promising second half drives? Again, nobody said you can't criticize Geno, we said he shouldn't be the focal point and you still haven't explained why he should be other than 'he's the damn QB'.

The Seahawks have had the LEAST amount of offensive drives in the entire NFL. Geno has had LESS chances to score than any starting QB in the league. And he's doing it with the third worst average starting position in the entire NFL. Where does that context fit into any of your criticism?

Maybe we should get some more chances from better starting position first before we expect Geno to do more? We're in the top 10 in terms of yards generated per drive, top 10 in amount of play time per drive, and smack dab in the middle in % of times we score per drive. So maybe if we start a little closer and our defense gets off the field a little bit quicker, we'll have the second half points you want?

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Not satisfied with his performance in the second half, but it's a TEAM sport. At least we are scoring in quarters 1-3?

Remember how annoying it was to watch games where we didn't score UNTIL the 4th quarter? And only when uptempo and scramble drills were used? That was annoying.

Ultimately it doesn't matter as much on WHEN you score. When the clock hits zero, it matters HOW MUCH you score. So rating the offense based on that metric is more meaningful.
You know what wasn’t annoying…winning in the 4th with a scoring drive.
People on this site hated the “win in the 4th” approach and now it seems the same folks are quite ok with the new “lose with what you score in the first half” method.
No matter how well Geno is playing we have seen how it will go if they trail late in games….he will choke on sacks and turnovers.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
So... umm... you guys are still expecting to win games this season? Geno Smith is our QB. That is like expecting something good for America with Biden as president. Not going to happen.

Reality people, it doesn't change because you don't like it.

Mick063

Reaction score
So... umm... you guys are still expecting to win games this season? Geno Smith is our QB. That is like expecting something good for America with Biden as president. Not going to happen.

Reality people, it doesn't change because you don't like it.
So we were better off with the bleach injection advocate? Why are you bringing the FOX cultism here?

sprhawk73

Reaction score
So it would appear.

But our options were limited, either a politically corrupt rich guy or a corrupt rich guy. Screwed either way but one of them did things that proved he actually cares about the country.

Fortunately for the Seahawks, it looks like our options are far better in next years draft.

Mick063

Reaction score
False equivalency doesn't fly with people outside of your alternate universe sprhawk73. Just because your echo chamber nods in agreement doesn't mean you will enjoy similar success outside of it. How about sticking to football and posting your lame political ideology someplace else?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Ok, to get back on to the point of the thread: Team stats, and here are some that I find interesting and contrasted with last season. (Caveat to add that, obviously, we're only 3 games into the season so any stats and trends need to be taken with a giant grain of salt.)

First the good.

On Offense, the Seahawks are:

4th in number of plays per drive, 8th for number of yards per drive, 5th for play time per drive, and 3rd for third down conversions.

This is a positive development when you consider where we were in these categories last year:

Last in plays per drive, 23rd for yards per drive, Last (by a lot) in play time per drive, and 23rd in third down conversions.

Comparatively speaking, these stats point to a much more efficient overall offense and if (big if), it continues this will be a huge turnaround. It cannot be overstated how bad our offense was in terms of sustaining drives last year.

On the bad side, we're definitely worse in the Red Zone this year. We were 3rd at converting Red Zone appearances to TDs last year and this year? 31st. (The only team worse? Denver.)

Now onto Defense where--unfortunately--the numbers are almost all bad. For some reason, everyone hated our defense last year, but we ended 10th in points allowed per drive, 11th in scoring % for opposing teams, and 4th for Red Zone. In other words: A good enough defense that kept us in most games. (Even though they were poor in allowing long drives and gave up a lot of yards).

This year, we're still poor in allowing long drives and still give up a lot of yards, but we're also 30th in points allowed per drive and 31st in scoring % for opposing teams. We are, however, still good in the Red Zone where we are 4th.

The one spot of improvement for our D this year, is that we are currently 10th in generating turnovers, versus 26th last year.

I'll be interested and seeing how these numbers change (or don't) as the season goes forward, but we're definitely a different team (for better and for worse) than last year.