Baldwin vs Norman

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
getnasty":1vmxy4k3 said:
HawkFan72":1vmxy4k3 said:
Plus, Baldwin was able to get open against Revis in the Super Bowl multiple times. I don't think Norman will completely lock Baldwin down all day. He'll get his chances.

Doug had 1 catch for 3 yards in the Superbowl, and some would say it was aided by the ref.

Baldwin was getting open against Revis, but not on schedule with Russell's reads. I think he has a better sense for that this year...we'll see, but I think Baldwin can get open against anyone in single coverage. Obviously a great CB like Norman will have his share of success, but I doubt he will completely lock down Doug. I don't think even Sherm can do that for an entire game against 2015/16 Baldwin.

Largent80

Reaction score
carolinablue":bmhf7i1u said:
Norman can lock Baldwin down if need be. Not worried about who Norman is covering as much as I'm concerned about who McClain is covering.

Baldwin is having a career year in case you haven't noticed. Also if the kitties think stopping him is the key it's going to be a long day for them.

CoastalJuan

Reaction score
rideaducati":4142g4g7 said:
The Panthers have never seen the new-look Seahawk offense. They will not be ready for it with backups in their secondary.

Saw something last week...

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3d7k5kya said:
Norman's an outside cover-2 corner. If he wants to cover Baldwin, he'd have to get out of his comfort zone.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mikeclaynfl/status/686380433815257088[/tweet]

Baldwin's safe? Pah!

Time for the rookie to school JN.

titan3131

Reaction score
So now that we've been educated can we rwname thread rookie no e vs norman?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
carolinablue":3jfqjymy said:
Norman can lock Baldwin down if need be. Not worried about who Norman is covering as much as I'm concerned about who McClain is covering.

Despite the 15TDs 1000+ yards he's put up this season, I'm not convinced Tyler Lockett isn't our best receiver. Pick your poison.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
getnasty":f76qhoe5 said:
HawkFan72":f76qhoe5 said:
Plus, Baldwin was able to get open against Revis in the Super Bowl multiple times. I don't think Norman will completely lock Baldwin down all day. He'll get his chances.

Doug had 1 catch for 3 yards in the Superbowl, and some would say it was aided by the ref.

If you saw the tape, he was open many a times, 2014 Russell just missed it, 2015 Russell would have seen it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
CoastalJuan":6y9aztfa said:
rideaducati":6y9aztfa said:
The Panthers have never seen the new-look Seahawk offense. They will not be ready for it with backups in their secondary.

I hope you did... If Carolina expects THAT offense it will win the game for Seattle.

sutz

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":23qvneyg said:
carolinablue":23qvneyg said:

Despite the 15TDs 1000+ yards he's put up this season, I'm not convinced Tyler Lockett isn't our best receiver. Pick your poison.
Had to read that a couple of times before I realized you were quoting ADB's stats. :laugh:

I think the two play slightly different games anyway. Baldwin with more emphasis on the intermediate 'move the sticks' routes and No-E doing more of the deep go routes. Both can do it all, though. They both run all the routes well, and catch the ball if it is at all catch-able, and sometimes when it isn't ;).

I can't give Lock the mantle of best WR on the team just yet, but he just might be in another year or so. He has been very polished for a rook, and looks to be fearless and tough as nails.

As for Norman? I don't really care who he covers. Our whole game philosophy is based on NOT having one guy as the 'go-to' guy. We spread the ball around. Anybody who thinks shutting down Baldwin is shutting down our pass attack hasn't been watching. Like Beast said before SBXLVIII, you got to stop ALL of them.

RussB

Reaction score
CoastalJuan":22x139u0 said:
rideaducati":22x139u0 said:

Dont bank on -4 sub freezing temps, we are coming to play.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2s7adir2 said:
I'm far more worried about Star Lotulelei owning Lewis and disrupting the middle of the pocket like Aaron Donald does than I am who's covering Baldwin. He'll get open. Always does.
Yep. Somebody may be open, but will the big uglies give Russ time to find 'em?

THAT is the key to the game. If RW gets 3 seconds to spot the open guy, we roll.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I'm optimistic about Lockett as well, but he and Russ have had timing issues on and off this year. If they're in sync on those deep balls though, look out. Kearse showed some good hands last week, too.

Really, the onus is on Russ to get the ball out at the right time. I know the cold air lifted some of this passes last week, but he also held several of them a little too long.

Ultimately, I'm not worried. We're prepared for a shootout if need be.

253hawk

Reaction score
Cartire":2bslii4o said:
RussB":2bslii4o said:
Doesnt matter if norman lines up against baldwin. That leaves oppurtunities for lockett and kearse to burn finnegan lol.

This is really it. Norman cant cover both sides of the field. And Im more the comfortable with lockett and Kearse having big games.

Kearse and Willson both torched Carolina in the playoff game last year, and they're far less better route-runners than Baldwin or Lockett. Together they averaged 28 yards per catch. I know the defense will be a little different, but still...

Would love to see the Hawks get into Norman and Finnegan's heads. They're both overly-emotional and could probably be coerced into some dumb penalties.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Panthers CB depth is awful. We would be wise to avoid Norman's assignment.

They are down to street FAs having lost their #2 and #3 corners. Seattle's game plan should be heavy dose of passing wherever Norman isn't lined up. Use backs to chip/protect. Having a balanced offense is good. But to leverage it properly, a team should be able to adapt and exploit weaknesses. If we try to have a 50/50 run pass ratio we are intentionally playing to that defense's strength.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I don't think we will see Norman on him all that much. Norman doesn't play the slot corner position.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3f5d3795 said:
carolinablue":3f5d3795 said:

This. He's faster and more explosive than Baldwin, and might run better routes already.

I'm excited to see him line up against Norman. So far I haven't seen anyone totally lock down Lockett and that's him playing on the outside as well.

Cartire

Reaction score
Hawks46":1mk8fxlc said:
SomersetHawk":1mk8fxlc said:
carolinablue":1mk8fxlc said:

This. He's faster and more explosive than Baldwin, and might run better routes already.

I'm excited to see him line up against Norman. So far I haven't seen anyone totally lock down Lockett and that's him playing on the outside as well.

Baldwin runs the best routes by far. His quick step moves breaks ankles constantly. Lets curtail the hyperbole on Lockett. He's faster, and good, but Baldwin is (so far) the clearly better route runner. Thats probably just experience at this point, but its not even a debate.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Norman has played some in the slot this season. Baldwin does play outside in the 2-WR sets, which we use a little more than 1/5 of the time. It will be an interesting decision by them whether to play Norman inside.

naholmes

Reaction score
Carolina's normal slot corner is Benwikere but he broke his leg a month ago. Also Charles Tillman tore his ACL in week 17. Norman doesn't normally line up in the slot but they might have to adjust that approach otherwise Doug Baldwin will be exploiting his matchup all game. Either way they will need to pick their poison because if they do move Norman inside then Wilson will have no problem going outside to Lockett and Kearse.