All 22 look at an option play against Dallas

Polk738

Reaction score
That last gif where Jimmy is in the end zone 1 on 1, if Russ rolls out on a bootleg while JG is running a crossing route that is a TD. Why they are not connecting in the end zone more is beyond me.

mrt144

Reaction score
McG":1uu0yacg said:
Breaking down tape must be so disheartening for RW. The fact that you, I and everyone can break this down with ease makes you wonder who/what is holding the offense back. Well, we all probably know who is holding the offense back, but I'm sick of blaming him. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, it's so incredibly obvious how those plays could have been tweaked or adjusted either at the line or during the game that it makes me wonder what in the world is going on. We have a $22 million quarterback on this team, with three years of experience. When are we going to take the training wheels off?

Oh well, we will just sit here and wait. Hopefully, this team will take this bye week to regroup, recharge and realize that the game vs Arizona is going to sent the tone for the rest of the season. Time to bring their A game, time to win.

The 12th man is holding the team back? Man, that's rough.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2wi69jbh said:
Russ Willstrong":2wi69jbh said:
Do you have the Luke Willson touchdown in this game of the read option pass?
Here you go:

CourteousImmaterialCobra.gif

I love Sweezy crossing the formation to block the left edge. Its really interesting blocking scheme. I've seen Seattle run it before but this looked blocked much cleaner. Hopefully a sign of the Oline growing.
That doesn't look like there was any option in that play. It was going to be a pass from the hike. Marshawns bounce gives that away.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":28th2oge said:
Anthony!":28th2oge said:
You do realize that just because it looks like it is a RO does not mean it is. PC and DB have both said a lot of RO looking plays are really RB handoffs with no option. Not saying all but a lot.

That was a RO. Now, if your telling me you want to put the blame on the coaches for telling RW to hand it off no matter what. Thats fine. But the play was a RO. If RW keeps it there, its a first down.

You can blame who ever you want for not letting RW run. Either himself, or the coaches. But the play was a RO. And RW should have kept it.

See now all you have to do is prove that is was an RO which you cannot.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Cartire":1txjw3gx said:
Smellyman":1txjw3gx said:
way to keep missing the point

No. I don't. At all.

My point had nothing to do with the play called FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.

I said that RW should keep it there. I said THAT IT DIDNT MATTER IF IT WAS RW'S FAULT OR BEVELLS for having him keep it.

But instead, you guys looking for RW excuses so fast, you got in a debate about which play was called, instead of the fact that RW never keeps the ball in the first half. That was the point.

and again you have no way of knowing if it was a true RO or a hand off only RO. Given we know they have said a lot of RO are not really ROs but hand off only RO I will go with the coaches and say you are wrong,

Cartire

Reaction score
Anthony!":ops45wtk said:
Cartire":ops45wtk said:
Smellyman":ops45wtk said:
way to keep missing the point

No. I don't. At all.

My point had nothing to do with the play called FROM THE VERY BEGINNING.

I said that RW should keep it there. I said THAT IT DIDNT MATTER IF IT WAS RW'S FAULT OR BEVELLS for having him keep it.

But instead, you guys looking for RW excuses so fast, you got in a debate about which play was called, instead of the fact that RW never keeps the ball in the first half. That was the point.

and again you have no way of knowing if it was a true RO or a hand off only RO. Given we know they have said a lot of RO are not really ROs but hand off only RO I will go with the coaches and say you are wrong,

Please read my post about playcalling. You seem to have not quoted that one. Its still a RO play. Even if the option is removed. It will have the same name in the playbook. Removing the option is fine, but the play is still called. My point is, and has been, that REGARDLESS if he had the option or not, HE SHOULD HAVE THE OPTION and be running there. Which goes back to my original point at the top, RW never keeps the ball in the first half, and every single team knows this.

Thats the point. Regardless of what is called. He should be keeping the ball there. If the he had the option, he should have took it. If he didnt have the option, then Bevell is an idiot for not letting him. THATS THE POINT.

You dont have to make a hypothetical guess about if the option was there or not. ITs a RO play. WE WILL NEVER KNOW IF THE OPTION WAS ON, because thats the way its designed. Call R-Keep, the option is off. Dont call it, its on. Doesnt matter. Its still a RO.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3kdt2e30 said:
Recon_Hawk":3kdt2e30 said:
Russ Willstrong":3kdt2e30 said:
Here you go:

I love Sweezy crossing the formation to block the left edge. Its really interesting blocking scheme. I've seen Seattle run it before but this looked blocked much cleaner. Hopefully a sign of the Oline growing.
That doesn't look like there was any option in that play. It was going to be a pass from the hike. Marshawns bounce gives that away.
Yep. That's a play action play from the start. There's no option there, unless Russell audibles. Later in the game they ran the ball out of the same formation with Graham at TE instead of Willson.

OpulentCostlyIndigowingedparrot.gif

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Polk738":vr14ouju said:
That last gif where Jimmy is in the end zone 1 on 1, if Russ rolls out on a bootleg while JG is running a crossing route that is a TD. Why they are not connecting in the end zone more is beyond me.

I have a strong suspicion that will change in the second half of the year. IDK if many saw it but the last 2 drives, especially on the FG winning one, Russ looked different to me. He seemed to be more focused. It could be nothing but he looked liked the commander alot of us think he could and should be.

I'm still in.. We are making the playoffs.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2z06pcam said:
SalishHawkFan":2z06pcam said:
Recon_Hawk":2z06pcam said:
Russ Willstrong":2z06pcam said:
Here you go:

Yep. That's a play action play from the start. There's no option there, unless Russell audibles. Later in the game they ran the ball out of the same formation with Graham at TE instead of Willson.

OpulentCostlyIndigowingedparrot.gif
Thanks Recon. That is clearly a play action pass. Good vantage point.
The tv game footage made it seem to me a half-hearted attempt at a read option and quick pass over the top to Luke. It was a nice play design with the TE split wide then motioned in for the seam pass.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Cartire":vidj7f14 said:
First thing I said to my wife at the start of the game,

"Russell will not keep the ball ONCE in the first half on Read-options. He does this because he wants to get the defense to commit to Marshawn for the majority of the game. The problem is, every single team knows this already. BECAUSE RUSSELL NEVER KEEPS THE BALL ON READ-OPTIONS IN THE FIRST HALF, EVER!"

Yea, the Corner played tentatively towards RW, but that was an easy beat if Russell kept it. The corner would not have been able to change direction fast enough with the speed he had coming in.

I'd also like to see a few "pop" passes, where Wilson takes the RO and then throws the ball on the keeper. That really puts the CB in a bind, and if Wilson gets by the DE and gets the corner, he's got a good 10 yards.

There's tons in this offense they can do to keep defenses guessing. If run correctly, the RO is very very hard to defend.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hawks46":2pjkneqw said:
I'd also like to see a few "pop" passes, where Wilson takes the RO and then throws the ball on the keeper. That really puts the CB in a bind, and if Wilson gets by the DE and gets the corner, he's got a good 10 yards.

There's tons in this offense they can do to keep defenses guessing. If run correctly, the RO is very very hard to defend.

Somewhat surprised that we haven't seen more of that.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Laloosh":2qixsvpr said:
Hawks46":2qixsvpr said:

Somewhat surprised that we haven't seen more of that.

We use our backup quarterback in that kind of situation. Usually just a field goal type of situation tho. :mrgreen: :twisted: