A few thoughts and observations on Wilson

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Well, today he is playing very well doing basically everything we wanted/needed him to do here but he pretty much refused because he knew better.

Playing on-time, has play chart on his wrist, very little deep shots, playing under center... the exact opposite of what he's been doing the past few years.

Will he be able to keep this up if the game gets tight and the pressure is on?

We'll see but right now somebody seems to have gotten in his head that, no, you don't actually know the best way to run an offense so stop freelancing and listen to your OC.
He'll do it for stretches of games and it works (like the winning streak in the backend of 2020), but he hates it and you can see it on his face. Eventually he'll revert back to trying to be the hero, see the Rams playoff game same year and the end of the game today. He can't resist the moment.
It's fascinating. He truly wants to win very badly, but only because of what it will do for him.

Winning is meaningless to him now if it doesn't include adoration for him and what he did. It trul6 feels like, if you could guarantee him a SB winning season, but he could only throw 1 pass a game, he'd pass on the deal

BlueTalon

Reaction score
He's like Rocky in Rocky III, getting pounded by Mr.T. Same guy as in Rocky I & II, same skill set, but he messed with his own head by getting full of himself.

Oh, and packing on that spare tire didn't help.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Based on his recent play, I have to admit that the critics were right in 2012. Russell Wilson is too short, he is a game manager, and drafting him in the third round was a huge reach. There goes Pete’s and John’s credibility…

keasley45

Reaction score
Well, today he is playing very well doing basically everything we wanted/needed him to do here but he pretty much refused because he knew better.

Playing on-time, has play chart on his wrist, very little deep shots, playing under center... the exact opposite of what he's been doing the past few years.

Will he be able to keep this up if the game gets tight and the pressure is on?

We'll see but right now somebody seems to have gotten in his head that, no, you don't actually know the best way to run an offense so stop freelancing and listen to your OC.

The issue is that he doesn't know the strategic side of the game well enough to play a complete game. That's why he'll show well for a qtr or a half doing what he did tonight and then get shut out until he gives up trying to think his way through a play.

This has been consistent over the years. Russ's game is Russ's 'game'.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think the issue with wilson is fixable but he has to have the right coach. I would bench his ass and play who ever the second string Qb is until russ loses his bs ego. He needs tough love... i would fire Hackett . The only reason why is because i would hire a vet coach like Sean Peyton thats the only option denver has
Sean Payton is still property of the Saints..I doubt Denver has the picks to do the deal sure
they could but then you would have a couple more drafts with no high picks.
There are other teams that could do the deal though and then Denver might get another coach
Russ can kill off.

keasley45

Reaction score
He'll do it for stretches of games and it works (like the winning streak in the backend of 2020), but he hates it and you can see it on his face. Eventually he'll revert back to trying to be the hero, see the Rams playoff game same year and the end of the game today. He can't resist the moment.
It's fascinating. He truly wants to win very badly, but only because of what it will do for him.

Winning is meaningless to him now if it doesn't include adoration for him and what he did. It trul6 feels like, if you could guarantee him a SB winning season, but he could only throw 1 pass a game, he'd pass on the deal
I think it's in part his desire for the big play and also being made to mentally work through a play to find success vs just creating it on his own. He shuns the cerebral side of the game for the creative element he brings - ie . ' I can make the play based on what I see and feel, better than the OC can scheme success ' . But he feels that way because he's never just committed to 'learning' how to play the position. I think THATS what frustrates him. He doesn't want to work through the step by step process of checking the line, reading coverage presnap, processing post- snap. He just prefers to hike the ball and play his way.
Sure, the simple reads and alerts... he can make them. More than that? He defaults to Russ ball.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I think it's in part his desire for the big play and also being made to mentally work through a play to find success vs just creating it on his own. He shuns the cerebral side of the game for the creative element he brings - ie . ' I can make the play based on what I see and feel, better than the OC can scheme success ' . But he feels that way because he's never just committed to 'learning' how to play the position. I think THATS what frustrates him. He doesn't want to work through the step by step process of checking the line, reading coverage presnap, processing post- snap. He just prefers to hike the ball and play his way.
Sure, the simple reads and alerts... he can make them. More than that? He defaults to Russ ball.
This..When you add in his slow processor and the DL able to catch him when he trys to
run his way out it's ugly.
On another note:I wonder what was on that wrist?Did it have anything in it?I'm sure it
at least had Team3 stamped on it lol.

Jac

Reaction score
Very early in Russ's career, Pete Carroll said that Russ was ready to evolve his game by studying defense and defensive philosophy. That Carroll was going to spend the offseason with him teaching him the mental side of defense. It was something Carroll was pretty excited about. You never heard about it again, though.

keasley45

Reaction score
Some people keep saying that Russ needs a better coach to help him to reach his potential. I think that to a degree, this is true. However, some aspects of the position - though they can be taught - rely upon the inherent ability of the player. And for Russ...if this were math, he'd be failing long division, let alone algebra. And he's failing after claiming to have studied more than anyone else. If that's the case, getting a MIT level instructor isn't necessarily going to help. Some guys can succeed at xs and os. Others simply cant.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Very early in Russ's career, Pete Carroll said that Russ was ready to evolve his game by studying defense and defensive philosophy. That Carroll was going to spend the offseason with him teaching him the mental side of defense. It was something Carroll was pretty excited about. You never heard about it again, though.
I remember that

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sean Payton is still property of the Saints..I doubt Denver has the picks to do the deal sure
they could but then you would have a couple more drafts with no high picks.
There are other teams that could do the deal though and then Denver might get another coach
Russ can kill off.
If you were Sean Payton, do you really want to take on Russell Wilson?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
...and...the Broncos cut Melvin Gordon III because he fumbled the ball. Shouldn't they be cutting their QB for fumbling their season away?
They would LOVE to, but contract and $$$ get in the way.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Some people keep saying that Russ needs a better coach to help him to reach his potential. I think that to a degree, this is true. However, some aspects of the position - though they can be taught - rely upon the inherent ability of the player. And for Russ...if this were math, he'd be failing long division, let alone algebra. And he's failing after claiming to have studied more than anyone else. If that's the case, getting a MIT level instructor isn't necessarily going to help. Some guys can succeed at xs and os. Others simply cant.
At this point, it appeared that Russ had problem with concepts of arithmetic, he won't benefit from a MIT level math professor which he has one now, he could use an elementary school teacher though.

Last edited:

uncle fester

Reaction score
He's like Rocky in Rocky III, getting pounded by Mr.T. Same guy as in Rocky I & II, same skill set, but he messed with his own head by getting full of himself.

Oh, and packing on that spare tire didn't help.
This is what I keep coming back to, too. He’s right in that part of the film where Mr T has publicly handed him his bits and Apollo Creed is yet to show up.

I have no idea who Apollo Creed is in this analogy though.

BamKam

Reaction score
Russ always “needs” something for someone who is making the kind of money to carry a team by himself. Look at Mahomes, guy is playing with 3rd stringers and retreads at WR and still finds a way to win. Russ has the number one defense in the league! All he has had to do is score EIGHTEEN POINTS in every game and the Broncos would be 9-1! Christ!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

I think after two head coaches, and now what 5? 6? coordinators/playcallers, it's safe to say it's not them, it's Russ.

If he searches the deepest darkest recesses of his limitations and comes to the realization that everything Pete and his coordinators have told him is true about how best to use his skillset?

Then there's hope for Russ to bounce back and be a productive NFL QB for Denver. But if he continues to operate under the self delusion that he's Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Peyton Manning where he wants everything to run through him?

Then Denver and Russ are in for 4-5 more years that look EXACTLY like this.

Donn2390

Reaction score
This..When you add in his slow processor and the DL able to catch him when he trys to
run his way out it's ugly.
On another note:I wonder what was on that wrist?Did it have anything in it?I'm sure it
at least had Team3 stamped on it lol.
The wrist band has a picture of Ciara eating a Dangeruss sandwich

keasley45

Reaction score
At this point, it appeared that Russ had problem with concepts of arithmetic, he won't benefit from a MIT level math professor which he has one now, he could use an elementary school teach though.

An image attached of the only page from the wristband Russell has agreed to wear. He was overheard saying that in Seattle, he was the green line, but in Denver, he's red.

Explains a lot.

Attachments

• Scramble drill.jpg
    Scramble drill.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 8