2021 Seahawks Depth Chart, Roster Moves, Cap Position

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
A potentially interesting addition for sure, and a fairly high draft pick as well, pick 100. However, you have to wonder why the Raiders jettisoned Muse after picking him in the 3rd round just last year.

I see the comparison to KJ Wright, but wonder why Mayock would be so willing to cut Muse loose in only his 2nd year? It would seem KJ took his roster spot, and at this stage is undoubtedly a better player at either OLB position.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3oorgt2o said:
A potentially interesting addition for sure, and a fairly high draft pick as well, pick 100. However, you have to wonder why the Raiders jettisoned Muse after picking him in the 3rd round just last year.

I see the comparison to KJ Wright, but wonder why Mayock would be so willing to cut Muse loose in only his 2nd year? It would seem KJ took his roster spot, and at this stage is undoubtedly a better player at either OLB position.
Good to see KJ signed with a team. Great Hawk not ring of honor worthy but kicked ass for many years as a Hawk. He'll one day retire a Hawk. Pete hinted he wanted to get younger at the position and to get guys that would provide more QB pressures.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1435705808608632837[/tweet]

Jville

Reaction score
OTC's Seahawks cap space was updated this afternoon.

It now reads $5,628,598.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Thought it would be interesting to predict the week 1 inactives. Assuming the 53 man roster stays the same and no PS guys are called up.

QB Jake Luton (no brainer)

RB Rashaad Penny (not 100% healthy, and doesn't do anything on special teams)

CB Blessuan Austin (new guy gets time to acclimate)

OL Dakoda Shepley and Jake Curhan (I'm assuimg Stone is ahead of Curhan, but could be wrong there)

DE Alton Robinson (he flashed in pre-season, but still a lot of guys ahead of thim.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1435986252352966663[/tweet]

.......................................... He was #3 in the pecking order of clearing the way for 2021. :2thumbs:

.....................................................................................................................................................................

I am beginning to wonder about the pro rated signing bonuses that will come due in voided years is becoming.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
Jville":1cnll7g8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1435986252352966663[/tweet]

.......................................... He was #3 in the pecking order of clearing the way for 2021. :2thumbs:

.....................................................................................................................................................................

I am beginning to wonder about the pro rated signing bonuses that will come due in voided years is becoming.
It works for both parties involved and more importantly he can now focus on making Wentz his bitch on Sunday :D

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":5ib4f4ih said:
Thought it would be interesting to predict the week 1 inactives. Assuming the 53 man roster stays the same and no PS guys are called up.

QB Jake Luton (no brainer)

RB Rashaad Penny (not 100% healthy, and doesn't do anything on special teams)

CB Blessuan Austin (new guy gets time to acclimate)

OL Dakoda Shepley and Jake Curhan (I'm assuimg Stone is ahead of Curhan, but could be wrong there)

DE Alton Robinson (he flashed in pre-season, but still a lot of guys ahead of thim.

Robinson is the only one of those that I question. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'm happy that Diggs is happy going into the season and he should know the team appreciates him. The added cap space has been updated.

The team now has some flexibility to add other depth if such is appropriate.

Jville

Reaction score
I don't know how interested anyone is in void money?

Brown + Everett + Diggs + Pocic have void monies coming due in 2022 totaling $9,025,000

Dunlap + Carson + Mayowa + Hyder void monies coming due beginning in 2023 totaling $8,059,000

So a little over $17M in cap has been mortgaged to get thru this down cap year so far.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Jville, while your figures are unquestionable it would be easy to spread those void year $ out a few more years by contract renewal with 1 or more of the players involved. As has been elsewhere observed it is easy to manipulate the cap a several other teams in the league have been doing for many years now.

Further the Hawks were one of the teams in the league with amongst the most money to spend in 2022 so they've borrowed against that this season. There is little doubt most of the teams in the league have done similar as well. At present it's just fun with figures, the money is there to pay the bills and the "borrowing" has allowed the team to field a competitive team this year and have cap flexibility this season.

Jville

Reaction score
Yea, I wasn't trying to sound an alarm .... probably shouldn't have used the word mortgage.

The not to exceed ..... dead cap rule of thumb ..... that I am familiar with for good cap management .... is 10% of the cap.

That 10% number is projected to be $20.8M in 2022 and $22.5M in 2023. So the projected void monies listed that will turn into future dead cap in 2022 and later are well within that maximum.

Just thought that the void money status might be of some interest as an example of how well the cap is being managed by the Seahawks front office.

OP
OP
J

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Never thought you were raising an alarm, you were just doing your usual tremendous job to keep us all informed :2thumbs:

Have really changed my thinking about the cap this offseason. I have lately come to a realization, as have others on the board, that cap management is more about financial manipulation than any hard limitation of the team’s ability to spend when they want to spend. Of course that has some limits, but mostly it’s simply fun with figures. Your point about common sense and usual percentages is appropriate though, and of course the input ownership might have on forward spending is relevant. All this said, cap management is a very interesting subject.

Thank you for your continuing superb contributions to this thread and to the board.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The minimum PS contract this year is $9,200/wk or $165,600 for 18 weeks.

According to OTC -- Robert Nkemdiche and Jordan Simmons will both receive $14,000/wk or $252,000 if they stay on the PS all year.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1436751965858455555[/tweet]

................................. TE DeShon Williams is now a free agent so one practice squad spot just opened up.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Regarding dead money --- right now between released players and deals that will void, the Seahawks will go into 2022 with around $11M in dead cap, pretty close to where they stand now with available 2021 cap that would roll over. I imagine if they can go into next year with those two figures in balance, they're doing OK.