Poll: Golden Tate's year in 2014-2015

Will Tate have a better year in '14-'15 than he did in '13-'14? Judged by the metrics outlined

• 1) Yes, he will be more productive with the Lions

Votes: 77 89.5%
  • 2) No, he will regress with the Lions.

Votes: 9 10.5%

• Total voters

plyka

Reaction score
There has been a lot of emotion flying around since Tate's departure. I for one think he is a mediocre WRs, but the majority of this board thinks otherwise I believe.

So I wanted to get everything down in writing before next year. I've waited a few days so all the emotion dies down and people can make real judgments. I've read it over and over how great Tate is, how he is superb and the Hawks will be sorry, how Detriot made a great choice, etc etc.

So, here I want to focus the argument, and measure it by 3 metrics that we can use to judge. Here is the question:

1) Will Tate have a better year with Detroit than he had with the Seahawks in his final year?

The three metrics we will use are the basics: TDs, Receptions and Receiving Yards. Last year Tate had 5tds, 64 receptions, 898 yards. Will he have more next year or not? These are the metrics we will use, I don't want to have a situation where the Tate fans find some obscure stat that when sliced up a million times will show Tate had a better year. "If you look at YAC only on the 2nd Sunday of the month, divided by his targets and multiplied by the year of the Goat, then he is better." Don't want to hear it.

I think Golden Tate will regress next year. I think he will have lower in all 3 categories. Let's hear what you think. We will come back to it next off-season, and see who said what. It'll be fun.

rideaducati

Reaction score
He will most definitely have better stats with Detroit. They throw the ball a LOT more and Tate is a good possession receiver. They probably won't win the Superbowl, but his stats will be better.

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
rideaducati":29nuw31z said:
He will most definitely have better stats with Detroit. They throw the ball a LOT more and Tate is a good possession receiver. They probably won't win the Superbowl, but his stats will be better.
They could win the Super Bowl, I mean for them beating the Packers is essentially their Super Bowl each year.

Penman96

Reaction score
It's a team game, if your team doesn't progress them neither does the player. The phrase "regress with the Lions" is telling indeed, for the Lions are a cap screwed team that is only going one direction - down. Tate will sink with the ship, rich, out of view and anonymous.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Better Stats in all 3 categories? I could see him scoring more than 5 TDs because that is barely anything. I think yards he will probably be around the 800-900 mark. Receptions will probably be a tad higher..maybe like 70-75 or so.

Its hard to gauge how well he will do because it depends on the offense they run. I assume they still have Bush in which case they will probably throw a lot to him and Calvin and Tate will be the 3rd weapon. This year Bush and Bell combined for over 100 catches as RB. The year before bell caught 52 only behind Johnson and Pettigrew.

I would be shocked if Tate had more than 1000 yards. I think 700-900 or so will most likely be his range. TDs you just never know. Calvin only had 5TD in his year where he almost 2000 yards.

Pick6

Reaction score
All three metrics will increase but the most important stat: WINS will decrease for him.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Not sure given they plan to shift the offense away from passing it 50 times a game to something like 30-35 times (more towards the typical NFL standard).And the fact that Stafford isn't going to extend plays but go through his progressions quick a release the ball in 4-5 seconds at worst. So I'm not convinced Tate will be open quick enough But we'll see soon enough.

kearly

Reaction score
Last year Matt Stafford threw for 2652 yards to players other than Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush. If Tate gets half of that, he's going to have 1300 yards. And unless his TD rate from Seattle plummets, he'll have double digit TDs too. Star in the making.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1rbooxof said:
We can always count on Kearly to be Tate's white knight.;)

The door is that way ➦

There is no place for racism on this forum

Shame on you :192215:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
He will have a better year and all the ones crying about him leaving will say that's proof that he was worth everything he got paid and we were stupid for letting him leave not taking into account that the Seahawks offense is completely different from Detroit's and he wouldn't even sniff the stats he will surely get there

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
rideaducati":1j26ks3w said:

+1

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I think he'll have more catches, receptions and TDs in Detroit barring any kind of significant injury. They throw the ball too much for that not to happen. Tate will be the next Alvin Harper.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Man, I am still pissed we had to let Golden go.

I think he hasn't reached his prime yet.

The question is will Stafford have the sense to throw him the ball, and hell, does he even need to?

Everyone knows he is throwing to Calvin and he still puts up ungodly #s.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He is more valuable in Detroit than he was in Seattle. I think his numbers will get better. I also think our offense well be more effective with a larger WR like Kearse or big rookie wr

drdiags

Reaction score
The only way he doesn't out-produce his numbers here is if for some TBD reason Stafford has the whole trust thing not happening off the bat with Tate. I know early criticism of Tate was his less than precise route running. I gather it has gotten better but if Stafford doesn't click with him early, I can see a breaking in period.

I voted yes BTW.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I voted that he'll have an improved season but I really think it'll be very similar. ~65-70 catches, ~900 yards, 5-7 TDs. Calvin and Reggie eat up a lot of receptions and Stafford is inconsistent.