Votes: 134 56.3%
  • Overpaid

Votes: 102 42.9%
  • Underpaid

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
I said it a few times in the trade thread that they overpaid for him. A 29 year old, who is likely past his prime, going into a contract year, should not warrant a second and fifth rounder. Yes, maybe they will get a comp pack for him if he leaves, but at best, that’s usually a late third rounder and the team must not sign other players in the off-season in order to keep that pick. It also shows that, Dre’Mont Jones isn’t bringing the return they thought. That admission makes it even worse. In my opinion, he will need to absolutely light it up for the rest of the year in order for this trade to even come close to justifying it.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
I dont understand the 'past his prime' take. D Tackles tend to play a bit longer in the league. Brandon Mebane was brought back at 34 when he was in LA. Fletcher Cox just signed a 10 mill a year deal at 32. J Reed is 30 and one of our Ds most valuable contributors (without him, we'd be struggling).

The list of 30+ year old DTs who are major contributors to their teams isn't short.

You also have to consider this move in the context of them maybe thinking Mone won't be back and will be released . It didn't make sense for them to cut him this year because his salary was basically guaranteed because of his injury. Next year, that's not the case. So, if they deem Williams as a piece worth getting now and greater than the value they see in the 2nd rd next year, then I certainly can't argue that.

I dont think you can look at the move as a 'player for picks' transaction in isolation. There are other pieces in play that stretch into their draft plans next year, no doubt.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Seahawks 2nd round pick will be very late. This is just fine.

Do people realize what this will do for the line? He is right now the best dlineman Seattle has...by far. Now offenses have to choose who to concentrate on. Jones, Reed, Williams, Mafe? The dline got so much more fearsome and scary to opposing teams.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
I dont understand the 'past his prime' take. D Tackles tend to play a bit longer in the league. Brandon Mebane was brought back at 34 when he was in LA. Fletcher Cox just signed a 10 mill a year deal at 32. J Reed is 30 and one of our Ds most valuable contributors (without him, we'd be struggling).

The list of 30+ year old DTs who are major contributors to their teams isn't short.

You also have to consider this move in the context of them maybe thinking Mone won't be back and will be released . It didn't make sense for them to cut him this year because his salary was basically guaranteed because of his injury. Next year, that's not the case. So, if they deem Williams as a piece worth getting now and greater than the value they see in the 2nd rd next year, then I certainly can't argue that.

I dont think you can look at the move as a 'player for picks' transaction in isolation. There are other pieces in play that stretch into their draft plans next year, no doubt.
Don't forget about that fossil Aaron Donald (32), he's still a game wrecker.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Don't forget about that fossil Aaron Donald (32), he's still a game wrecker.
I get it but cherry picking a top five defensive tackle of all time probably isn’t the best comparison

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
Seahawks 2nd round pick will be very late. This is just fine.

Do people realize what this will do for the line? He is right now the best dlineman Seattle has...by far. Now offenses have to choose who to concentrate on. Jones, Reed, Williams, Mafe? The dline got so much more fearsome and scary to opposing teams.
No, some people just want to worry about what we gave up, rather than how he 'should' make our entire line better and improving our pass defense as a result. Everyone has a choice on how they want to look at it though.

Taking into account the high third rounder we have from Denver, I look at it as moving down 15 slots or so from our natural second rounder and gave up a 5th in two years to aquire him, in terms of really giving up draft capital. I could be just doing mental gymnastics though to make myself feel better...who knows!

getnasty

Reaction score
Obviously all depends on how he plays but I think it's a fair price and one of those deals that is good for both teams involved.

I also don't mind overpaying a little to send a message to the team that were committed to making a run all while improving the team.

John is also pretty good about recouping pick by moving around in the draft so I expect him to get some of the cost back in the future.

keasley45

Reaction score
No, some people just want to worry about what we gave up, rather than how he 'should' make our entire line better and improving our pass defense as a result. Everyone has a choice on how they want to look at it though.

Taking into account the high third rounder we have from Denver, I look at it as moving down 15 slots or so from our natural second rounder and gave up a 5th in two years to aquire him, in terms of really giving up draft capital. I could be just doing mental gymnastics though to make myself feel better...who knows!
We have dominant players at every level.

At safety - love, Diggs and Adams . Seriously?

At LB Wagner and Brooks... wtf?

CB - Brown, Spoon and Woolen.

And now a dline with Mafe, Taylor, Clark, Reed and Williams.

This is an all star D in the making. Our weakness was Dline. Now, it's a strength.

Jac

Reaction score
I hate giving up draft capital like this and hope that our FO is continuing its "lessons learned" on how to treat the draft. At the same time, this move feels like them trying to make a run for the SB this year. There aren't any true juggernauts in the league right now and none in the NFC (though, Philly could turn it on). San Fran isn't a particularly deep team, so the division is certainly there to be had.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Having an extra 3rd round pick or potential comp pick in the low 4th or 5th round is irrelevant. You're still subtracting a 2nd round pick you would otherwise have in what JS himself said is a stronger/better draft class than 2023.

The only way this deal makes sense to me is if he propels the team past the divisional round, or if he is extended or resigned for longer term.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I think Schnieder pulled the trigger on this trade due to the draft capitol they have coming from the Broncos.

They gave up a high 2nd round pick for a player who will make an immediate impact, while they still have a low 3rd round pick in the back pocket.

Mick063

Reaction score
The team just got much better.

Whining for the sake of whining. It really is exhausting and there is apparently no immediate outcome that can satisfy the obsessive whine. When whine is your primary calling card, I would personally feel cursed. It can't possibly be enjoyable.

Fans that can't accept success. Can't stop and enjoy the moment. It must feel like drowning with no opportunity to come up for air. That incessant ball and chain of whine around the neck. Is the attention from shared angst really that rewarding?

The inexplicable part? When does the satisfaction come? Is fandom an on/off switch that can only be activated at the conclusion of a Super Bowl victory? Self-relegated misery all the way until that trophy presentation?

I would rather give up football fandom than to endure such self-induced pain. Nonstop self-inflicted misery that for some reason, must be brought here to be shared with everyone else.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I think Schnieder pulled the trigger on this trade due to the draft capitol they have coming from the Broncos.

They gave up a high 2nd round pick for a player who will make an immediate impact, while they still have a low 3rd round pick in the back pocket.
It won't be a high 2nd though; this team is making the playoffs so it will be around 25 or later.
And the Bronco's pick won't be a low 3rd. Unless they have more than one pick and we are getting the later one. I don't pay attention to the Bronco's.

WarHawks

Reaction score
1.5 sacks. Not exactly a great confidence boost that he's worth a 2nd. But whatever. What do I know. Hope it works out.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, Pete and John know 10 times more about football and how to run a team than ANY of us do, so there's that.
Meh, let em do their jobs. If you dig the trade, great, if you don't, cool.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
People keep saying it’s going to be a late second round pick. You cannot assume that, especially since our schedule gets much tougher going forward, and that we pulled a few games out of our ass to just to get to 5–2. The same exact comments were being made when we acquired Jamal Adams saying it’s going to be two low first round picks, and that was not the case for either of them.

nwHawk

Reaction score
NY ate a ton of money which offset the picks. As has been mentioned above Jaren Reed is a good example of fans shouldn’t overreact. Reed is older, smaller and looked very average. Pair him with Pete and he’s looking good. Williams will be hungry, and he’s a very good player.

No doubt, Hawks are trying to make a run. Time to fan up and support like a 12.