Votes: 16 17.2%
  • 5-8

Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Less than 5

Votes: 23 24.7%

• Total voters

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
McCaffery made it a whole season, over half of which was for RB-killer Shannahan, so I went with more than 12. I want the man to be the dynamic, fun to watch playmaker he was brought over to be.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If Adams were to be cut before the 2023 season, that cost would get even bigger, because there would be almost $23.9M in dead money on the 2023 cap, leading to a net negative $5.78M in cap "savings." That is, Adams takes up $5.78M more cap space for not being on the Seahawks roster in 2023 than if he's on the roster. If the Seahawks cut him after June 1, "only" $9.67M of the dead money falls on the 2023 cap, with the rest hitting the 2024 cap.

If the Seahawks cut Adams after the 2023 season, there is still $14.22M in dead money on the 2024 cap, but there's $9.39M in cap savings.

Stuff can still happen, but the most-likely outcome as of right now is Adams staying on the Seahawks roster for 2023, but not in 2024.
I believe that dead cap hit number just went up by about $3 million this week.

I still wonder if cutting your losses and ripping the band aid off might have been the best choice, even at a bigger cap hit.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Jamal Adams is a hard hitting safety with an undersized body and an injury history that is adding up. He will always play emotionally and very physically, which can lead to more injuries...I don't think he has very much time left in his career. I believe that the Seahawks should "cut their losses" and try to trade, or possibly release him.
So, I did not vote because I think...0 more games.

massari

Reaction score
His body seems to be breaking down, which makes him extremely risky to keep around with that cap hit, especially when they already have Neal to replace him.

Cutting Adams post June 1 opens up $8.44m in cap space for 2023, and about $10m for 2024

AgentDib

Reaction score
Assuming that he is ready to start the season then 12 seems like a decent guess. He's played that many in four of his five seasons. All of his injuries have been different so I don't think there's any accelerating wear and tear, just overall bad luck and fragility.

I'm firmly in the camp of addressing safety this off-season in a big way even while still retaining Diggs and Adams on large cap hits. Bringing in youth now kills two birds with one stone; it addresses our future needs and increased rotation at the position will reduce the wear and tear on everybody.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
For the 5 years prior to last season, the number ranged from 12 to 16. So I was going to vote for 14 as the midpoint, but that wasn’t an option.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
The Seahawks should really be thinking about a Safety in the draft. i hope that we will go for a Defensive Tackle, an EDGE rusher, an Offensive Center or Guard and then...the best Safety or Linebacker available.

flv2

Reaction score
The cap hit is $18,110,000. For me, cost is about opportunity cost more than the actual number on his paycheck.
The cap number is irrelevant in regards to a discussion about keeping or trading Adams, or what he's worth to the team. The cap number is what the team wants to account for, when they want to account for it. It's the team's choice not the player. In regards to Adams the team has paid him $21.33M that the team hasn't yet accounted for. That money inow has to be accounted for over the next 3 seasons. Previous cap numbers were artificially low and now they're artificially high.

flv2

Reaction score
Adams should be healing or healthy going into the offseason so I expect Adams to play most or all of the games in 2023. Whether he's a $20M Superstar, $11M value for money player, or $3M disappointment is yet to be determined.

themunn

Reaction score
Jamal Adams is a hard hitting safety with an undersized body and an injury history that is adding up. He will always play emotionally and very physically, which can lead to more injuries...I don't think he has very much time left in his career. I believe that the Seahawks should "cut their losses" and try to trade, or possibly release him.
So, I did not vote because I think...0 more games.

Is Jamal Adams really undersized or do you just think that because he's smaller than Kam Chancellor, like *everyone* else?

Adams listed height & weight - 6'0, 97kg

Here's how he compares to all other safeties named first or 2nd all pro in last 3 seasons.

Minkah Fitzpatrick - 6'1 94kg
Derwin James - 6'2 98kg
Justin Simmons - 6'2 92kg
Talanoa Hufanga - 6'0 90kg
Kevin Byard - 5'11 96kg
Micha Hyde - 6'0 89kg
Budda Baker 5'10 88kg
Jordan Poyer 6'0 87kg
Jessie Bates 6'1 91kg
Tyrann Mathieu - 5'10 86kg

Jamal Adams is not a small guy - only a handful of guys are 1-2 inches taller than him, but he carries a larger frame than all of them.

JPatera76

Reaction score
5-8 as a SS. Probably a full season if he moved the LB and they let Neal play Safety as he is imo clearly the better of the two.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
Is Jamal Adams really undersized or do you just think that because he's smaller than Kam Chancellor, like *everyone* else?

Adams listed height & weight - 6'0, 97kg

Here's how he compares to all other safeties named first or 2nd all pro in last 3 seasons.

Minkah Fitzpatrick - 6'1 94kg
Derwin James - 6'2 98kg
Justin Simmons - 6'2 92kg
Talanoa Hufanga - 6'0 90kg
Kevin Byard - 5'11 96kg
Micha Hyde - 6'0 89kg
Budda Baker 5'10 88kg
Jordan Poyer 6'0 87kg
Jessie Bates 6'1 91kg
Tyrann Mathieu - 5'10 86kg

Jamal Adams is not a small guy - only a handful of guys are 1-2 inches taller than him, but he carries a larger frame than all of them.
This is Merica' damnit. The only thing measured in kilos should be weed.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
might play a full year if it was a contract year. Crazy how players in all sports are healthy for their contract year. Lol

themunn

Reaction score
This is Merica' damnit. The only thing measured in kilos should be weed.

You know I put everything into feet but kg is such 2nd nature to me I didn't even think twice about it

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
You know I put everything into feet but kg is such 2nd nature to me I didn't even think twice about it
I don't mind breaking out the calculator now and then. Makes me feel civilized, like putting Dijon mustard on my bologna sandwich.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Thanks you guys...I stand corrected.
But, the blitzing role he was playing in the defense seemed more suited to a Linebacker. He plays hard and seems to get injured as a result. I just think that the dollars could be better spent towards team depth...rather than to a "broken star".

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
might play a full year if it was a contract year. Crazy how players in all sports are healthy for their contract year. Lol
Didn’t Adams get an extension after missing 5 games and playing with nagging injuries to finish the season?