Votes: 53 75.7%
  • Rooting for the Hawks to win until they are out of playoff contention

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Rooting from game 1 on for Hawks to lose

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
I know I will take a lot of heat for this but here it goes.

By all estimates we aren’t going to be very good. We are in need of a qb and if our record is bad enough we can grab a potentially great qb at the top of next years draft. My question is would you rather be say 9-8 and miss the playoffs with the 17th pick or be 4-13 with the 3rd pick (or better) and have a shot at a strong qb in the draft?

Many of us lived through a stretch of those 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 years and they kind of sucked. I’d rather suck for 1 year and get back to relevance quickly than hang in NFL purgatory for years.

What do you say?

Last edited:

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
I know I will take a lot of heat for this but here it goes.

By all estimates we aren’t going to be very good. We are in need of a qb and if our record is bad enough we can grab a potentially great qb at the top of next years draft. My question is would you rather be say 9-8 and miss the playoffs with the 17th pick or be 4-13 with the 3rd pick (or better) and have a shot at a strong qb in the draft?

Many of us lived through a stretch of those 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 years and they kind of sucked. I’d rather suck for 1 year and get back to relevance quickly than hang in NFL purgatory for years.

What do you say?
Will drafting a QB in the top 5 solve the problem?
Will it solve the problem next year?
Do you think Geno will win 9 games?

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd rather win as many games as possible and not worry about next year's draft position. It will be what it is. We have 4 picks in the top two rounds to trade up for our guy if we need/want to. I never hope for losing. It sets a bad mindset in the players and fans.

Rat

Reaction score
Rooting for wins until we're officially out of the playoff race, then hoping for losses where the young guys show considerable promise.

Somos doces

Reaction score
Always rooting for wins. Wanting losses is a loser mentality that leads to more losses.
This is likely true of players and team personnel, but we aren't on the team.
Rooting for wins until we're officially out of the playoff race, then hoping for losses where the young guys show considerable promise.
As a fan, this is about where I"m at. I hope that "considerable promise" shows up all year — not just after the team is out of contention.

QWERTY

Reaction score
I'm just rooting that the OL and the Defense gets better, so obviously rooting for wins is a good thing. I believe that if the team loses many games, morality would be lose, and people would start not to care.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I can't ever root for losses, it's just that the consequences for losses aren't what they once were (and hopefully will be again soon).

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
So 5 minutes prior to the first game you will be hoping for losses?

Spohawks

Reaction score
With the draft being a total dice roll, yeah lets hate on the Hawks every game for a shot at a JaMarcus Russell!

As mentioned above, the Seahawks positioned themselves perfectly for just about any QB they want with the 4 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Enjoy the year, root for the hawks and the record will take care of itsself.

BASF

Reaction score
Could you please edit this as a poll? I think the results would be very informative.

As far as the question, you play to win the game.

chrispy

Reaction score
1- I, personally, believe Pete's mantras were partially compromised over the past 4 years. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything here, just stating opinion. I understand why that might have happened but those circumstances have disappeared. If "Always Compete" is not consistently applied this season, there's no way players will turn on a switch later/next season. Play to win.

2- A high pick wasn't how JS got the last franchise QB. No reason to expect it's a given in the future.

3- The next QB, any QB, will be better on a team that plays to win, not one that second guesses when a win is better than a loss.

4- Should we lose next year if JS picks a QB that doesn't work out? ...how do you stop the philosophy once you start it?

5- PC/JS didn't play to lose in 2011. There's no reason to think they'd want to do things differently now. If anything, they want things to work out exactly the same.

6- The team will never be a preferred destination for FAs if there's a hint of this type of thinking.

7- There isn't a consensus Andrew Luck type QB that JS would have to move to #1 to get.

...probably other reasons, but the above is enough for me to decide. If Pete embraces a preference for losing this season, it would really impact my fandom. Chosing to rebuild isn't synonymous with being losers.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately that is incorrect. We beat the Pats in a game by a lousy 4 points that year (10-6) and since we beat them and we both had 2-14 records they got the 1st pick.

Mirer instead of Bledsoe
Thanks for the info! My memory totally failed me on that one. I would have bet money it was a coin flip that screwed us.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I ALWAYS root for our team to win. Not to do so is akin to a sacrilege to a religious belief as far as I'm concerned. Let the draft positioning take care of itself.

You don't ever want to let even the thought of losing being an acceptable way of doing business under any condition creep into an organization.

I like to engage in friendly trash talking and banter with other team's fans, and they could care less about our draft position. All they want to know is how you fared against their team.