• Rooting for the Hawks to win until they are out of playoff contention

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Rooting from game 1 on for Hawks to lose

Votes: 10 14.3%

• Total voters

camdawg

Reaction score
Scenario:

Last game of the year and unfortunately we had only 2 wins to that point. Myers lining up for a 30 yard fg. If he makes it we win and secure the third pick in the draft. Miss it and we get first pick.
Make your choice as a spectator not a player?
This would be the one scenario where I'd want us to lose. It also would hopefully convince Pete and John to finally cut Jason Myers.

While the division is too good to get into the playoffs with a losing record like we did in 2010, I'd be pleased as heck if we could somehow pull off a Wild Card berth this year. Even if we'd have no real shot to win the Lombardi.

Think of all the young guys who would get playoff experience. Our new bookend tackles and Curhan. Kenneth Walker and Dee Eskeridge. Mafe, Taylor, and Brooks. Our young corners. I'd gladly take that over a top draft spot.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
This would be the one scenario where I'd want us to lose. It also would hopefully convince Pete and John to finally cut Jason Myers.

While the division is too good to get into the playoffs with a losing record like we did in 2010, I'd be pleased as heck if we could somehow pull off a Wild Card berth this year. Even if we'd have no real shot to win the Lombardi.

Think of all the young guys who would get playoff experience. Our new bookend tackles and Curhan. Kenneth Walker and Dee Eskeridge. Mafe, Taylor, and Brooks. Our young corners. I'd gladly take that over a top draft spot.
I bet based on the scenario I gave with the last game of the season on the line with hit or miss fg, the 75% of folks as of now who voted “rooting to win every game” we’re not being truthful.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
There are also those that, for one reason or another, get supremely upset, say about the Russell Wilson trade or that we have a female owner, then hope that we lose every game in the hopes that they'll be a significant change, that Pete gets fired, Jodi Allen forced to sell the team, etc.

A few years ago, I went to Las Vegas for an NFL Sunday. I sat at a bar next to a Redskins fan/anti fan who hated Dan Snyder with a passion and refused to buy any Redskins jerseys, caps, etc. He told me, somewhat sarcastically, that he hoped that the Redskins never won a game again so that there would be enough of an uprising from the fans that it would force Snyder to sell the team.

If this weren't a blind poll, my guess is that you wouldn't see as many people casting a vote hoping that we tank the season. It's an irrational emotional thought and very hard to defend, especially in front of a lot of diehard Seahawk fans.
I voted to tank especially with Geno starting. I think we have virtually zero shot at anything with him in there. As an east coast resident I believe he’s that bad. Saw him suck as a player on and off the field for years.

Rainger

Reaction score
So far over 25% would root in some scenarios for the team to lose according to the poll.

Again, imagine it’s the last game of the year and the Hawks are tied with the Texans and Falcons for the worst record. The Texans and Falcons just won their game. The Hawks in their game are lining up for the winning 30 yard fg. If they make it they get the 3rd pick in the draft, they miss it and get the first. What are you hoping for?
I would NEVER NEVER NEVER cheer the Hawks to lose, NEVER, that is like asking would you cheer for your mother or father to die so you could get your inheritance a few years earlier.

Give me a break, so many people on .net are really pseudo fans, I blame Fantasy football and the destruction of societally norms that people want their team to lose any game.

Would any of you cheer for your sons football team to lose any game??

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I voted to tank especially with Geno starting. I think we have virtually zero shot at anything with him in there. As an east coast resident I believe he’s that bad. Saw him suck as a player on and off the field for years.
We weren't going anywhere with Russ or anyone else either.
We are in a rebuild that was needed for sure.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I would NEVER NEVER NEVER cheer the Hawks to lose, NEVER, that is like asking would you cheer for your mother or father to die so you could get your inheritance a few years earlier.

Give me a break, so many people on .net are really pseudo fans, I blame Fantasy football and the destruction of societally norms that people want their team to lose any game.

Would any of you cheer for your sons football team to lose any game??
Although I personally always cheer for the Hawks to win, I do not see it as the only way to be a good fan. I see nothing wrong with a Hawks fan separating themselves from the moment to consider the implications of a specific game or season to long-term sustained team success and hoping for an outcome that benefits the long-term versus the short-term.

And, the bolded is absolutely not true. It is an outstanding example of the false equivalency logically fallacy. As I have pointed out in multiple other threads, using logical fallacies in your argument is a dishonest and deceitful way of presenting your argument. The use of logical fallacies: 1) does not actually support your argument (although, it may fool some individuals); 2) is not constructive to the quality of discourse, 3) it is rude to the posters who you are disagreeing with, 4) and it is destructive to the overall community environment.

Mase

Reaction score
-- Pats had us beat. They had an open receiver but the ever intoxicated Patrick Hunter elevated higher than he ever has, to knock the pass away, thus sealing our fate of Mirer.
-- Then again, we turned Mirer into Walter Jones, so there is that. Thanks Bears.

Mase

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep, I always have to remind myself - No Mirer, No Walter Jones.

And Walter Jones was worth almost any sacrifice. Even suffering through the Mirer years.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
So 5 minutes prior to the first game you will be hoping for losses?
No, he's rooting for wins until the Hawks are mathematically eliminated then he's hoping the young players get playing time so they can improve for next season. I for one agree with this sentiment.