We're an average offense.

aawolf

Reaction score
Unfortunately, or fortunately, however you want to look at it, I didn't get to see this game as I was making a six-hour drive with my family and I had to listen to the Seahawk's broadcast of this game on Sirius XM. It sounded like Russell had more time in the pocket this week, which is an encouraging sign. However, Moon would constantly point out that nobody was open on several of these slow-developing plays (I trust him to know if someone is open or not). This happened VERY often, especially while we were driving in the red-zone. Either Tennessee has a severely underrated secondary, or we desperately need help at the WR position and we need more options for RW. The quick-hits to Kearse were the most money plays seemingly and I was shocked we weren't hitting on more quick-hits with Tate and Baldwin. Something I know from watching RW for years is that his security blanket is the TE position and I couldn't tell from the broadcast if the TE Willson was running routes on those slow-developing plays where the receivers were blanketed or if he was staying in to block, which may have been the reason Russell had so much time. For those of you that watched the game--was the TE running routes on those slow red-zone plays, or was he blocking?

chrispy

Reaction score
This is football. Players get injured every week on every team. If we really are holding our breath until player X or Y is healthy, in reality, we're just waiting until another player is injured. It's unusual to have a single position/area hit so hard with injuries. That said, it's the exception, not the rule, to have a team where injuries don't play a pretty major factor.

If we can't win with whomever suits up on a given week, we can't win. There aren't any asterisks in the W/L column.

We weren't even healthy in Training Camp after a full off-season. Who really thinks we'll have all our starters in week 17...?

HawkMeat

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1d0ti5rn said:
Everyone complains about the lack of separation the receivers get on their routes. How much of that is because the defense knows what routes they're running and how much is because they're just not that good?

Watching it sure appeared the defense game planned well and it made the WR routes look predictable. Between running the ball Pete wants big plays, which take time to develop. Is the lack of intermediate routes more on Pete, Bevell, or personnel? Perhaps a bit of all the above. The line is banged up, key players unavailable (Miller), and Pete is always looking for momentum. Intermediate routes and quick passes are under utilized currently, or not executed well.
When we won Percy I watched the Vikings games last year before he was out for the season, and watched how they used Percy. It might be a couple weeks after his return to mesh and get the timing and depth down on routes, but he will make this offense better. The team needs a Percy who has great burst and the ability to find soft spots in coverage.

RiverDog

Reaction score
SonicHawk":xt98filj said:
After 6 weeks of watching this offense and watching many other teams offenses, I'm confident that I know the reason why we're not great on offense.

It's just because we aren't that great.

I know, I know, we were the SB favorites preseason, Lynch is a top 3 back in the league, RW is great and mobile, Tate is becoming a solid go-to. But that's it. We don't have a Demaryius Thomas, Pierre Garcon or AJ Green. No one is scared of us going deep. Our TE (when healthy) is often stuck blocking, while Peyton Manning has Julius Thomas, Romo has Witten, even Kaep has Vernon Davis.

Sidney Rice is a bust. Maybe it's the plays, maybe it's him, maybe it's RW, I don't know, it's not working. I'll wait until our Oline is healthy to discuss whether that holds us back, but obviously the backups do.

RW has willed this team to win games. For every 'poor' throw he makes on the run, he runs for a 4th down 1st down. He is great.

This is a playoff team right now, no question. Our defense is good enough to push us over the edge and the offense is plenty good enough to win with that. There is no way we are a favorite though. Something special needs to happen and I'm not sure it's there.

Boy, you post that in some of the Hawks forums I've frequented and they'll rip you a new one. It's refreshing to see that there isn't the same types of Kool Aid drinking jackals in here.

I agree with you, especially with regards to our passing game. Rice isn't getting separation and he isn't fighting for balls like he did last season. Tate and Baldwin make the most of their talents but they're average, off the shelf NFL receivers. None of the WR's we put on the field forces defenses into double teams or otherwise accounting for a stud WR. Perhaps that changes when Harvin starts playing, but I'm not holding my breath. The offensive line leaks like a sieve.

If we get HFA through the playoffs, we go to the SB. If we get a first round bye, we have a 50/50 chance of getting to the SB. If we don't win our division, we end up much like we did last season, perhaps a game deeper.

--------------------

This is what happens when you're 5-1 and you start thinking SB instead of just winning the next game.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2oa2jgsx said:
After 6 weeks of watching this offense and watching many other teams offenses, I'm confident that I know the reason why we're not great on offense.

It's just because we aren't that great.

I know, I know, we were the SB favorites preseason, Lynch is a top 3 back in the league, RW is great and mobile, Tate is becoming a solid go-to. But that's it. We don't have a Demaryius Thomas, Pierre Garcon or AJ Green. No one is scared of us going deep. Our TE (when healthy) is often stuck blocking, while Peyton Manning has Julius Thomas, Romo has Witten, even Kaep has Vernon Davis.

Sidney Rice is a bust. Maybe it's the plays, maybe it's him, maybe it's RW, I don't know, it's not working. I'll wait until our Oline is healthy to discuss whether that holds us back, but obviously the backups do.

RW has willed this team to win games. For every 'poor' throw he makes on the run, he runs for a 4th down 1st down. He is great.

This is a playoff team right now, no question. Our defense is good enough to push us over the edge and the offense is plenty good enough to win with that. There is no way we are a favorite though. Something special needs to happen and I'm not sure it's there.

--------------------

This is what happens when you're 5-1 and you start thinking SB instead of just winning the next game.

Chicken little, we are not healthy right now.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
We have been an average offense this year.

No harm in that.

Our style as a team has got us to 5-1.

Not worried.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We are not an average offense, right now we're ranked #10 in total offense;

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... 447263-n=1

Were our expectations for this offense higher before the season started? Yes. But O-Line injuries + Miller being brittle as a Christmas Ornament + no Harvin = good, but not great just yet.

Which is fine. We're 5-1 with an under performing offense. Once our O-Line gets healthy and Miller and Harvin get back then we should hit the home stretch and peak at the perfect time. If the injuries continue? Then this year will be fighting for it's playoff life all year.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1fljyuy1 said:

Were our expectations for this offense higher before the season started? Yes. But O-Line injuries + Miller being brittle as a Christmas Ornament + no Harvin = good, but not great just yet.

Which is fine. We're 5-1 with an under performing offense. Once our O-Line gets healthy and Miller and Harvin get back then we should hit the home stretch and peak at the perfect time. If the injuries continue? Then this year will be fighting for it's playoff life all year.

The ranking's fine, given that we're a top 5 defense, having a top 10 offense is a recipe for a Lombardi.

But stats don't tell the whole story. What I worry about is our passing capability. There are going to be occasions, such as the first half of the Atlanta game last season and the Houston and Indy games this season, when we're on the road and the defense stubs it's toe and we fall behind in the 4th quarter and are forced to pass the ball to get back in the game. We've won some of those games, or gotten ourselves into the position to win them, either on monumental mistakes by our opponent (Houston) or due primarily to Russell's scrambling, of which I feel very uncomfortable depending on.

If we get HFA, no problem. If we have to go on the road in the playoffs with this offense, I don't like our chances, particularily if we have to go on the road against a team like the Saints or Packers.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RiverDog":ubj2wpw0 said:
If we get HFA, no problem. If we have to go on the road in the playoffs with this offense, I don't like our chances, particularily if we have to go on the road against a team like the Saints or Packers.

You can say this about EVERY team in the NFL. No team wants to go on the road for the playoffs, so of course we want HFA.

Trust me, if we can get healthy (O-Line, Harvin, Miller, etc) you will see the passing game start clicking. Don't forget we've also played some very good defenses early in the year, especially D-Lines. Houston, Carolina, SF, Indy and Tennessee ALL have above average defenses who have been keying in on our weak pass blocking.

Perfundle

Reaction score
RiverDog":1x64v1fk said:
Sgt. Largent":1x64v1fk said:

The ranking's fine, given that we're a top 5 defense, having a top 10 offense is a recipe for a Lombardi.

But stats don't tell the whole story. What I worry about is our passing capability. There are going to be occasions, such as the first half of the Atlanta game last season and the Houston and Indy games this season, when we're on the road and the defense stubs it's toe and we fall behind in the 4th quarter and are forced to pass the ball to get back in the game. We've won some of those games, or gotten ourselves into the position to win them, either on monumental mistakes by our opponent (Houston) or due primarily to Russell's scrambling, of which I feel very uncomfortable depending on.

So you're saying that there are road games where Seattle might not be able to win, especially in the playoffs? I'm pretty sure you can say that for the other 31 teams too. If you're uncomfortable depending on Seattle to come back, guess how fans of the other teams feel, because the fact is that Seattle under Wilson has been able to come back no matter how big the deficit is.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1d0p9s2k said:

No harm in that.

Not worried.

The combined record of the opponents we've beaten is 11-18. The team with the best record we've played we lost.

The Texans lost to STL by 25.

Even the Cardinals beat the Panthers by 16.

Our 3rd down percentage is ranked 28th. We're #3 in penalty yards.

At some point you have to look at this 5-1 team and try to figure out how the hell they are going to survive in January.

Perfundle

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3mv7rcda said:
bestfightstory":3mv7rcda said:

No harm in that.

Not worried.

The combined record of the opponents we've beaten is 11-18. The team with the best record we've played we lost.

At some point you have to look at this 5-1 team and try to figure out how the hell they are going to survive in January.
Have you looked at the past three Super Bowl winners? They combined for a regular-season record of 29-19. Hell, look at New England and Denver last year: one started 1-2, the other 2-3.

You don't get teams that look invincible in the regular season anymore. I bet you can find alarming stats for every single team right now. The combined records of the opponents Kansas City and Denver have beaten are both 11-25.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Perfundle":23gn5elw said:
SonicHawk":23gn5elw said:
bestfightstory":23gn5elw said:

No harm in that.

Not worried.

Have you looked at the past three Super Bowl winners? They combined for a regular-season record of 29-19. Hell, look at New England and Denver last year: one started 1-2, the other 2-3.

You don't get teams that look invincible in the regular season anymore. I bet you can find alarming stats for every single team right now. The combined records of the opponents Kansas City and Denver have beaten are both 11-25.

Is that supposed to somehow make me feel better? That other teams playing average football won the Super Bowl?

Right now, and yes, it's very early in the season, but we haven't separated ourselves from the pack in any sort of way. You can't say the same for a team like Denver, Kansas City or even New Orleans.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Perfundle":1csqu26p said:

Bingo.

Like Pete has preached from day one here. Strive to get better as the season goes along so you're peaking at the end.........and he's been right. This team is a VERY good 2nd half of the year team. Which bodes well because we're already 5-1.

The NFL is no longer a league of have's and have nots, and it hasn't been that way since the 90's. It's now a league of who's hot at the end wins. Which is why Pete and John have built a big/physical/ run first/win turnover battle/good special teams type of team that's not going to wilt during the month of December and January.

Perfundle

Reaction score
SonicHawk":27s66bc0 said:
Is that supposed to somehow make me feel better? That other teams playing average football won the Super Bowl?

Right now, and yes, it's very early in the season, but we haven't separated ourselves from the pack in any sort of way. You can't say the same for a team like Denver, Kansas City or even New Orleans.
Given your pessimistic posting style, I don't think you even want to feel good about the team. Convenient that you ignored the record of Kansas City and Denver's opponents; the best opponent either one has beaten is 3-3. And no, New Orleans and Kansas City haven't separated themselves from the pack in any way, except record-wise. You're pointing out Seattle struggling in some of their games, but leave out New Orleans barely beating Tampa, or Kansas City barely beating Dallas? Every team except possibly Denver has many issues, and even there Denver's defense isn't looking impressive at all.

It's completely possible to criticize aspects of the team without panicking over their playoff chances, as if other teams don't also have a myriad of issues to deal with.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
It's better to have a QB who distributes the ball to multiple targets than a QB who zeros in on one guy all game. It keeps the opposing defense honest and on their toes. While I would like to see more TE involvement (keep in mind Miller has two scores this year) I haven't forgotten who and what it is we have behind the line of scrimmage. As long as the chains keep moving does it really matter who gets the glory? I don't think it matters one bit to any of those guys when they are winning, and ugly or not, they are winning.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
SonicHawk":qhxzgltt said:
bestfightstory":qhxzgltt said:

No harm in that.

Not worried.

They will survive in January by beating every team that has to come to Seattle. :th2thumbs:

Sorry if that seems simplistic but that is what is going to happen. :179417:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
SonicHawk":3ldzbxji said:

If we hadn't beaten those 5 teams the combined record of our opponents would be 16-13. Eh?

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":1tc8ukhz said:
SonicHawk":1tc8ukhz said:

If we hadn't beaten those 5 teams the combined record of our opponents would be 16-13. Eh?

Quit creating rips in the space-time continuem, kay?

Latest posts