We're an average offense.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
After 6 weeks of watching this offense and watching many other teams offenses, I'm confident that I know the reason why we're not great on offense.

It's just because we aren't that great.

I know, I know, we were the SB favorites preseason, Lynch is a top 3 back in the league, RW is great and mobile, Tate is becoming a solid go-to. But that's it. We don't have a Demaryius Thomas, Pierre Garcon or AJ Green. No one is scared of us going deep. Our TE (when healthy) is often stuck blocking, while Peyton Manning has Julius Thomas, Romo has Witten, even Kaep has Vernon Davis.

Sidney Rice is a bust. Maybe it's the plays, maybe it's him, maybe it's RW, I don't know, it's not working. I'll wait until our Oline is healthy to discuss whether that holds us back, but obviously the backups do.

RW has willed this team to win games. For every 'poor' throw he makes on the run, he runs for a 4th down 1st down. He is great.

This is a playoff team right now, no question. Our defense is good enough to push us over the edge and the offense is plenty good enough to win with that. There is no way we are a favorite though. Something special needs to happen and I'm not sure it's there.

--------------------

This is what happens when you're 5-1 and you start thinking SB instead of just winning the next game.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3d8rjay7 said:
(Percy Harvin)

That maybe it. Hard to be too excited about a guy who's never practiced with our team.

He can be special for sure.

davidonmi

Reaction score
We need a go to guy, exactly, Percy Harvin isn't a go to WR. Not that kind of a player. The question is can we still win without one

HawkFan72

Reaction score
But he is the guy you are talking about that will scare opposing Defenses and open up everything up opportunities for everyone else. That's been a proven result since he came into the league.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
davidonmi":xq14oqwo said:
We need a go to guy, exactly, Percy Harvin isn't a go to WR. Not that kind of a player. The question is can we still win without one

Ask Christian Ponder if hes a go to receiver. He single handedly kept Ponder as the starter while he was there

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
He's special with his ability to run after the catch. I'll be interested to see how much he improves the offense. A better Tate? Will he continue finding the seam when Wilson leaves the pocket?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is one of the top 3 most pressured QBs. Lest you forget we're short two starting OTs and just got Unger back. Let them get healthy. Football starts at the LOS.

davidonmi

Reaction score
HawkFan72":32r7ju0h said:
But he is the guy you are talking about that will scare opposing Defenses and open up everything up opportunities for everyone else. That's been a proven result since he came into the league.
that he can be. But he isn't a Calvin Johnson or AJ Green type of player

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1e378e51 said:
davidonmi":1e378e51 said:

Ask Christian Ponder if hes a go to receiver. He single handedly kept Ponder as the starter while he was there

Ponder was willing to make a lot of risky throws that Wilson won't.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":962reqvm said:
Russell Wilson is one of the top 3 most pressured QBs. Lest you forget we're short two starting OTs and just got Unger back. Let them get healthy. Football starts at the LOS.

Why?

Why must that always be the excuse? Injuries happen to all teams, all teams deal with missing players. At some point these people have to play and play well.

hawk45

Reaction score
vin.couve12":j6mwwyac said:

This is where I'm at. Playcalling, running, passing, think it all looks better with some consistency at those positions and starters back out there.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Everyone complains about the lack of separation the receivers get on their routes. How much of that is because the defense knows what routes they're running and how much is because they're just not that good?

KK84

Reaction score
Wilson is the kind of qb that can win any game with an "average offense". Not worried. I'm more worried about dumbass drive killing mistakes that negate what Russell does.

OrFan

Reaction score
Harvin should help.

The key to this has already been mentioned. The line. You simply cannot do anything without them being good. Everything, and I do mean everything stems from this.

BTW, being an average offense with a great defense can win a superbowl. Trent Dilfer has a ring and he was the perfect example of nothing more than average.

hawk45

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1em7mwbr said:
vin.couve12":1em7mwbr said:

Why?

Why must that always be the excuse? Injuries happen to all teams, all teams deal with missing players. At some point these people have to play and play well.

Because there's a difference between 1 guy being out and a unit being decimated.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement other places, but it does make sense to see what transpires when the core of the entire offense, running and passing, is intact.

Perfundle

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2820rifx said:
vin.couve12":2820rifx said:

Why?

And how well are those teams doing that have injuries? How is New England doing on offense? Or San Francisco for large stretches of this year? Or Baltimore? Or Pittsburgh? Or Green Bay today? Seems to me that those teams are also significantly affected.

OP
OP
SonicHawk

SonicHawk

Reaction score
OrFan":3db2jhvo said:
Harvin should help.

The key to this has already been mentioned. The line. You simply cannot do anything without them being good. Everything, and I do mean everything stems from this.

BTW, being an average offense with a great defense can win a superbowl. Trent Dilfer has a ring and he was the perfect example of nothing more than average.

I'm not convinced the key to fixing our problems is the line.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3m543ai7 said:
HawkFan72":3m543ai7 said:
(Percy Harvin)

That maybe it. Hard to be too excited about a guy who's never practiced with our team.

He can be special for sure.

It's funny, I was thinking about the same thing. Russell Wilson holds the ball too long. Now, it could be terrible pass protection, where he has no time and has to run, but there are times (today) where he has 4 seconds back there, and ends up scrambling anyways. The WRs aren't getting open. Now, are they not winning matchups ? Is there the right play call on defense where they are doubling the primary a lot of the time ? (Someone mentioned that Rice wasn't a factor this year because he's constantly being double teamed, which I have a hard time believing). Thing is, people aren't getting open easily. Most of Baldwin's catches are ad libbed.

So we need a guy that created mismatches, and none of our guys do that. Now, is Harving going to be that guy ? Historically, he has been. He's not a guy you're going to cover for 4 seconds. Once he creates mismatches, and immediate "wins" on a route, it's going to cause the defense to compensate, and our other guys are open.

The other thing that really bothers me about our offense is that we don't seem to be able to use the TE. I honestly believe the LoB is the best secondary in the league, yet teams are constantly able to exploit us over the middle with the TE. Average teams, with average TEs. Miller is an above average TE, and even when we put him out in a route, we don't manage to get him the ball. I find it hard to believe that ALL of our WRs are that terrible that Russ can't consistently get them the ball, and when they're all covered, we still don't have a TE open. What gives ?