M's offense is, once again, heinously bad...

Chapow

Reaction score
... SO FAR. Yes, it's very early in a very long season and I can't imagine that they will continue to be this bad, but what we've seen so far is pretty worrisome considering that cutting down on the strikeouts was supposedly a point of emphasis during the offseason.

There are only 2 teams in MLB that have struck out more than the M's, but both of those teams have had more AB's. The Red Sox have 1 more strikeout than the M's, but they also have over 20 more AB's than the M's. The Dodgers have 10 more strikeouts than the M's, but they've also played 2 more games and have had 80 more AB's. In other words, the Mariner's have the worst strikeout rate in MLB.

As a team, they are hitting for a .201 BA. 6th worst in baseball.

As a team, they have a .262 OBP. 3rd worst in baseball.

As a team, they have a .561 OPS. 3rd worst in baseball.

As a team, they have a .299 SLG. 2nd worst in baseball.

They've scored 17 runs so far this season. Only 6 teams have scored fewer runs. However, 4 of those teams have played fewer games.

Like I said, I can't imagine that they will continue to be this bad, but so far they've been really, really bad. They will need to improve significantly to even be a mediocre offense.

Side note, they should have kept Teo and Geno, IMO. Yeah, they struck out a lot, but they were also very productive players despite the strikeouts. There was only one guy that drove in more runs for the M's last season than Teo or Geno, and that guy was Julio. So we got rid of our 2nd and 3rd most productive hitters and replaced those guys with players that are either no where near as productive, or miss a shitload of time with injuries. That seems awfully unwise to me, but I guess we'll see how that works out.

Side note #2, Something that seems like it's been damn near universally overlooked by M's fans is that Teo and Geno were ironmen for the M's last season. Geno played in all 162 games last season. Yep, literally every single game. Geno was also very good on defense at 3rd base, and from everything I've heard, a phenomenal teammate. We replaced Geno with Luis Urias. That's a pretty huge downgrade, IMO. Teo played in 160 games last season. Every single game but 2. Teo was not a great outfielder, but his production on offense made up for his merely adequate defense, IMO. Here's the thing though, they could have just put him at DH. They signed Garver strictly to play DH. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd much rather have Teo at DH for 160 games, than Garver at DH for maybe 90 games and then a platoon of Canzone, Moore, Raley, etc. for the other 70+ plus games.

sutz

Reaction score
Cleveland has put up two of the kind of pitchers that always kill us, off speed and spin ball throwers. Put up a 92 mph fastball and they can't slow down their bats enough to hit it. Bend it a bit and they can't find them.

Today has been a Murphy's Law of Baseball kind of day as well. Every bounce has gone Cleveland's way.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Pitchers get frustrated when they know their team has a crap offense. You cannot rely on your pitching all the time to have success. It's a fraud franchise. No hitters want to come here. The next stadium should be a dome again. Also fire Scotty he's one of the worst managers in baseball

stack55

Reaction score
I know Ramirez wasn’t here last year, but they should of kept him.

stack55

Reaction score
Pitchers get frustrated when they know their team has a crap offense. You cannot rely on your pitching all the time to have success. It's a fraud franchise. No hitters want to come here. The next stadium should be a dome again. Also fire Scotty he's one of the worst managers in baseball
We blew up the last dome stadium, lol

OP
OP
Chapow

Chapow

Reaction score
Well, Kirby and Castillo are not exactly tearing it up either.

Kirby was phenomenal in his first start this season, and was a disaster today. Castillo wasn't very good in either of his 2 starts so far.

The offense has been one of the worst in the league over the 1st week of the season. Basically, if we don't get an elite performance from our SP every game, we're probably not going to win. If we get a bad outing from our SP, it's probably going to be a laugher. Like today.

stack55

Reaction score
That was a small crowd and a quiet crowd. To many of those
and there will be changes.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The team is middle of the road in spending, and it shows.

They're off to a slow start... but a lot of teams are as well.

I'm not worried but I am concerned.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It's good to have some people stop supporting if more pressure is needed on the ownership to change their philosophy, but we don't want too many people to stop or else they might consider moving the team lol

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Felix Hernandez says 'HI'

DJrmb

Reaction score
This is why I'm not going to games or spending money to watch them this year. They were primed for 2 year's where ownership could have really pushed them over the edge. But they chose not to. They said screw you to us fans, so I say screw you to them.