Weakest position re: Seahawks' depth

LolaRox

Reaction score
For me it's QB and its not even close. Its the most important position on the field and the Seahawks have no depth. According to the reports from OTA's last week Archer may not be able to get through a full set of downs not to mention a few games. Also it seems as though they are really trying BJ as WR.

I would hate to see what happened to the Cards last year happen to the Hawks.

After QB, it is OL and secondary, particularly safety.

McGruff

Reaction score
Trivia Question . . . The four receivers likely to line-up behind Doug and Jermaine this year caught how many passes TOTAL last season?

Answer - 20. Lockette (11), Norwood (9), Matthews (0) and Lockett (0) are total unknowns at this point, and will likely play significant roles to start the season. That's pretty darn scary IMO.

What's even scarier is that WR isn't the thinnest position on offense. That title goes to the OL. The starting 5 is scary enough, but behind them the only experienced player is Patrick Lewis. He's joined by a cast of rookies and former UDFA's.

Fade

Reaction score
kearly":lm23lw13 said:
Ted Thompson learned the hard way that QB depth matters back when Rodgers went down in 2013. If your QB misses 4-6 games, it could kill your season unless you have a good backup (or play in a joke of a division).

Uhhh... What? You proved my point.

1. Aaron Rodgers missed 7 games in '13 and they still won their division and hosted a home playoff game. (Point Proven)

2. Their response the next season was to spend a vet minimum salary on QB that was nearly out of the league. He is currently out of the league. Matt Flynn. (Point Proven)

3. Ted Thompson didn't learn a hard lesson, and didn't change his ways. The Packers are using Day 3 draft picks and the lowest salaries possible for their backup QB spot. (Point Proven)

The only teams that are dumping any kind of resources into QB 2 are teams looking for a QB, or they have a really old QB.

The Seahawks themselves did this.

2010 Traded for Charlie Whitehurst
2011 Signed Tarvaris Jackson for fringe starter money.
2012 Signed Matt Flynn for good money, spent a 3rd round pick on Russell Wilson.

Once they found Russell Wilson.

2013 -
2014 traded a 7th round pick for Terrell Pryor who didn't even make the team.
2015 -

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":6qhj2izw said:
Jeff Tuel was released by Buffalo. Might be worth bringing in for competition.

Competition with whom?? I think we'd be better off with whomever Philly's castoff is over someone whose only success was playing against the Big Sky.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":3g5nj0vk said:
TeamoftheCentury":3g5nj0vk said:

Competition with whom?? I think we'd be better off with whomever Philly's castoff is over someone whose only success was playing against the Big Sky.
What've ya got against the Big Sky? The Ducks are entrusting their high-caliber offense to a Big Sky program jumper ... 'o)

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Entrusting their program to him is one thing, we'll see what happens when he is holding the reins. But what do I know, I'm just an incognito Tim Ruskell

brimsalabim

Reaction score
QB2 and left tackle and guard, center. Worrisome combination.

Seafan

Reaction score
The team must feel confident TJack will be back for camp. If he signs elsewhere then players like Flynn for camp arm/competition for QB2 makes some sense. If they have Archer as QB2 through most of TC than final cutdown QBs like Charlie Whitehurst make sense. QB will be the weakest depth position regardless.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":1e97i4uq said:
TeamoftheCentury":1e97i4uq said:

I knew someone would take issue with this. smh. There's always one in the bunch. Likely the only time I'll quote Aaron Rodgers, "Relax......" Camp Competition. There's a recent report that Bevell wants more arms in camp. Competition breeds excellence. Archer might be able to do the job, but ya gotta give him some competition at this point.

I'm not a Jeff Tuel promoter here in merely mentioning his name. He was claimed off waivers by the Jaguars. Gee, they have a QB there, too. Why would they do that?

There's not a lot of QB's out there currently available. You're not going to find another Russell Wilson. So, the Seahawks are going to need to take a look at some arms if TJack doesn't come back. Tuel had proved himself elsewhere enough to be able to stick in the NFL a bit - even started some games - and was an available arm. Obviously Buffalo moved on. But, I don't think Tuel did too bad filling in for the guys ahead of him on their depth chart when the team needed him.

In no way did I suggest Tuel, or any other particular backup type guy, would settle the backup QB question as you seem to insinuate with "we'd be better off with". The Hawks would be better off with a lot of guys they can't have right now. I'm talking about the present reality. Perhaps I've missed something. Do the Hawks have something lined up to obtain a QB from the Eagles at some point before the season?

Fade

Reaction score
The QB market is so scary right now, and going forward. With spread offenses taking over college football there are hardly any projective prospects. Per new CBA you have nearly no time to develop a backup QB, most rosters don't even carry a 3rd QB anymore. There is no Developmental League either.

Moral of the Story: Sign Russell Wilson, I don't want to spend another 30+ years trying to find another Franchise QB.

I do know the Seahawks will leave no stone unturned to find the best backup they possible can, but if this is honestly what we are worried about. We've got it better than every fanbase in the NFL. .hmmmmm probably do :thirishdrinkers:

My worry will continue to reside with the O-Line the rest of the Off Season until I see them in games.

ivotuk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1z661ath said:
Defensive Tackle

Mebane
McDaniel
Hill
Rubin
Staten
Smith

I have thought DT was one of our bigger needs the last two years and I think we are even thinner than past season with Hill and Mebane coming off injuries. I think Rubin was a very under rated signing that will prove very valuable this season, if Mebane rebounds to his normal self and Hill improves I think we will be solid but still not a position of strength.

Rankings by position
1. RB
2. Safety
3. CB
4. TE
5. QB
6. DE
7. LB
8. OT
9. WR
10. OG/C
11. DT

Really 11th?

1. Mebane
2. McDaniel
3. Hill
4. Rubin
5. Dobbs
6. Scruggs
7. King
8. Smith
9. Staten
10. McGill

Hill is fine. Mebane is questionable but lets wait to see how he performs coming back. All 4 at the have starter ability. Dobbs before his injury was excellent. Scruggs has potential if he can get his knee right. King flashed in his few opportunities to get snaps. I thought Smith could have made the team last year because he was dominating in the Pre-Season but he ended up on I.R. Jury is still out on Staten but the Seahawks liked him enough to use a 5th round pick. Maybe he has improved with a year of development. All said McGill is the only rookie, and other than Staten , everyone else has been in the league for at least 3 years.

Not to mention Michael Bennet, Will Tukuafu, and potentially Frank Clark.

I don't see as big of a problem as you paint, probably only 5 or 6 of the 10 will make the squad. For now Mebane, McD, Hill, and Rubin are locks.

Yeah, I agree that DT has to be considered one of the 'deeper' positions on the team. Brandon Mebane is back this year, which is huge for the interior line. Kevin Williams was a fine replacement last year, but Mebane is on a whole other level as a NT.

Tony McDaniel is a phenomenal player against the run on first and second downs, and Jordan Hill flashed exciting pass rushing upside in the nickel defense. Ahtyba Rubin could also fill that role if Hill is hurt. Carroll really liked the way Dobbs was playing last year, and Turkuafu (and perhaps Scruggs) gives them even more competition at an extremely crowded spot.

With the addition of Frank Clark, we now have even more options in terms of how we use Michael Bennett on 3rd downs. One of those guys would go inside to pair with Hill or Rubin, in those situations, and the other would attack the backfield from the outside.

The addition of Mebane alone was enough to compensate for the loss of Williams . . . then you add in Clark moving inside in the nickel, a more experienced Hill and Dobbs, and the return of Scruggs. This is absolutely one of the more talented and competitive position groups on paper.

Don't forget Cassius Marsh. He flashed some potential last year and I think would have been a difference maker had he not gotten hurt. Pete has mentioned him a couple of times so I think the says something about the guy.

WIth Mebane, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Frank Clark I think we will have a scary good defensive line this year.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ivotuk":l0iu5ev1 said:
Don't forget Cassius Marsh. He flashed some potential last year and I think would have been a difference maker had he not gotten hurt. Pete has mentioned him a couple of times so I think the says something about the guy.

WIth Mebane, Michael Bennett, Cliff Avril and Frank Clark I think we will have a scary good defensive line this year.

I am pessimistic about Marsh, as I don't think he looks quick or powerful enough to become a dominant pass rusher. But we will see. They drafted him for a reason and are obviously still very optimistic about what he brings to the team. Clark fills almost the exact same role as Marsh, and he appears to be much more powerful and athletic.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Now that Tarvaris has been re-signed, backup QB is the weakest position on the team.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3n1zfxi7 said:
ivotuk":3n1zfxi7 said:

I am pessimistic about Marsh, as I don't think he looks quick or powerful enough to become a dominant pass rusher. But we will see. They drafted him for a reason and are obviously still very optimistic about what he brings to the team. Clark fills almost the exact same role as Marsh, and he appears to be much more powerful and athletic.

I see them being very different. Marsh is more like Bennett and Clark is more like Avril.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Seafan":2z9781ci said:
rideaducati":2z9781ci said:
Now that Tarvaris has been re-signed, backup QB is the weakest position on the team.

No it's now punter and kicker.

I hope Tarvaris joins the backup punter and kicker wherever Ruskell is these days.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Now that we've got the league's best backup QB locked up it's definitely one of the strongest position groups on the roster.

rideaducati

Reaction score
:17:
Zebulon Dak":22811gqe said:
Now that we've got the league's best backup QB locked up it's definitely one of the strongest position groups on the roster.

Did the Seahawks sign another QB? I had only heard that they re-signed Tarvaris and he is nowhere near the best backup in the league.

rideaducati

Reaction score
:17:
Zebulon Dak":ofy3ef60 said:

Did the Seahawks sign another QB? I had only heard that they re-signed Tarvaris and he is nowhere near the best backup in the league.