Niners depth is trash

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hope springs eternal, pal. That's what this thread is about. We're looking for any sign that the 49ers might not be as good as they seem.
Understandable. :)

I don't think Trey is the issue here.

As I stated before, backup OL and Nickel are my biggest concerns. Nickel would probably be the largest concern because it doesn't require an injury to expose it.

Isaiah Oliver was kinda written in to be that guy, but even Shanahan acknowledged he hasn't won that starting NCB spot.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I think preseason is evolving, and coaches haven't figured out how to balance keeping players healthy and getting them ready. It's a tough calculation.

Given that Purdy is getting over an injury, I think it makes sense to sit him during preseason, don't you? Or do most 49er fans think he should be playing?

And of course, the big question is, will sitting out so much of camp hurt Bosa? At least his contract negotiation doesn't seem to be antagonistic, so he won't be negative when he returns. My hope, of course, is that he comes back fat and happy and with $100 million in the bank, what does he have to play for?

I'm fine if Purdy doesn't play. Not getting time out there in games didn't hurt him last year. Trey and Darnold need that time.

As for Bosa...its a fair question, but I won't worry about it unless we get through preseason week 3 and he still isn't signed.

bileever

Reaction score
Understandable. :)

I don't think Trey is the issue here.

As I stated before, backup OL and Nickel are my biggest concerns. Nickel would probably be the largest concern because it doesn't require an injury to expose it.

Isaiah Oliver was kinda written in to be that guy, but even Shanahan acknowledged he hasn't won that starting NCB spot.
Think of it this way, no one here is wasting that much time worrying about the Cardinals or the Rams. Not much fun trashing a team that's not going to be relevant. No one said a word about the 49ers during the Jim Tomsula years. Oh, those were the days!

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Appreciate the actual football talk here fellas. Marvin should go back to the nfl/seahawks page on the 9ers web zone and explain to those folks how a discussion works. Its so bad, that there are no seahawk fans on the seahawks page over there. Like me, if they make valid points those dudes lose their minds and ban. El guapo is the worst. Absolutely no mind for football or eye for talent objectively.

Anyway, wanted to thank you Marvin for giving us some football insite from a 9ers prospective. Glad most 9er fans aren't like you though, hating them would be much harder lol. Lucky for me, most are mouthbreathers.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
9ers looked a tiny bit better, but the defense is still letting vanilla stuff through. Qb's again slightly better, but no where near "getting to the playoffs level" it will be interesting if Purdy can follow up what he did last year. I don't look that much, but from what I've read he is a mixed bag in camp, performance varies day to day.

Overall, I really like our chances. Both geno and lock looked good. Hell even our "Tebow and russ had a baby" 3rd stringer ahlers looked good. We seem to have a lot of depth. MJ was a disappointment, and the first defensive series let a lot of runs though. Other than that, we are on track.

Can't wait to see how the starters for the 9ers open up next week. If they don't give Purdy any preseason game time, it will be tougher on them those first few games, which I'm totally fine with lol.

94Smith

Reaction score
9ers looked a tiny bit better, but the defense is still letting vanilla stuff through. Qb's again slightly better, but no where near "getting to the playoffs level" it will be interesting if Purdy can follow up what he did last year. I don't look that much, but from what I've read he is a mixed bag in camp, performance varies day to day.

Overall, I really like our chances. Both geno and lock looked good. Hell even our "Tebow and russ had a baby" 3rd stringer ahlers looked good. We seem to have a lot of depth. MJ was a disappointment, and the first defensive series let a lot of runs though. Other than that, we are on track.

Can't wait to see how the starters for the 9ers open up next week. If they don't give Purdy any preseason game time, it will be tougher on them those first few games, which I'm totally fine with lol.
Uhh. Purdy played last night and looked like last year. Darnold played well and Lance looked much better. 60 percent of your starting defense looked like Swiss cheese against cooper rush and the Dallas 2s .

It’s preseason , some insight can be gained both of most teams stars are not playing. Kittle, Trent Williams, Bosa, Dre greenlaw , mooney ward , juscyzk , cmc not playing on purdys series. Starting D players played one series. Hawks had no metcalf, no kw9 , no Wagner, no Dremont, 2s in a lot of the secondary. Hawks depth looks better but is that only because cowboys depth and Vikings depth is not good? You tell me. I don’t think anyone can say for certain until the real bullets start flying

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uhh. Purdy played last night and looked like last year. Darnold played well and Lance looked much better. 60 percent of your starting defense looked like Swiss cheese against cooper rush and the Dallas 2s .

It’s preseason , some insight can be gained both of most teams stars are not playing. Kittle, Trent Williams, Bosa, Dre greenlaw , mooney ward , juscyzk , cmc not playing on purdys series. Starting D players played one series. Hawks had no metcalf, no kw9 , no Wagner, no Dremont, 2s in a lot of the secondary. Hawks depth looks better but is that only because cowboys depth and Vikings depth is not good? You tell me. I don’t think anyone can say for certain until the real bullets start flying

Beat me to it.

1st string offense was rolling. Purdy was 5-6 for 65 yards on one drive. Likely would have had a TD if not for pass protection issues. (on the LT - Trent didn't play) and the RB (McCaffrey and Mitchell didn't play)

49ers QBs last night: 27 of 37, 2 TDs and 2 INTs (both on deflections), and 347 yards.

Lost by 27 least week, won by 1 this week "Tiny bit better" lol.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Purdy is the real deal. It's only a matter of health. Last season was no accident. He's GOOD. If healthy, he'll pick up right where he left off. Careful with the ball, uses all his weapons, clutch, and doesn't get photographed dating prawn stars. What more could you ask from in a QB?
(Jimmy G of course signed with Vegas, which has the #1 prawn industry despite not being on the Gulf Coast, so Jimmy was "all in".)

projectorfreak

Reaction score
They finally looked like they got their act together and the 3 guys at diff levels all running slants plays , pisses me off to some major degree , we can't seem to stop that as omg I feel like iv'e seen that somewhere before but hopefully we will be able to put up much more of a fight in the second half ourselves but unfortunately nice to see you guys knocked the rust off yer game
Gonna be a fun year gents

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
It doesn't matter, the experts have concluded that ANY team led by the new GOAT, Brock Purdy is invinceable and undefeatable, for at least the next decade, perhaps two. He should average 80-120 TD throws, and max at 5 INTs every year as well!

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
I don't get where ya'll are getting this media thinks Purdy is the GOAT nonsense. Most places have him around 20, the highest I saw was 12 and I think the writer was fired immediately afterwards. So no need for juvenile hyperbolic angst on that front.