Niners depth is trash

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Watching this raiders game is great as a hawks fan.. Every year we get the whining from the niners about injuries. Of course, if you point out on their forum that they have poor depth, you get banned. Their seahawks page on that forum by the way is hilarious, only niner fans in there as they ban everyone within a few posts for talking actual football.

That fan base is something else, I would like nothing more than to taste some niner tears this year. Their starters are good, and we are unproven, but I like our chances.

OP
OP
johnnyfever

johnnyfever

Reaction score
I don't think they will flop, but I also don't think they are as good as they and others think. Injuries happen, and by the looks of it, they have very little depth.

Only one preseason game, but I think they got worse and we got much better. I think they are around a 10 win team. Its mostly their fan base that is exhausting.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Watching this raiders game is great as a hawks fan.. Every year we get the whining from the niners about injuries. Of course, if you point out on their forum that they have poor depth, you get banned. Their seahawks page on that forum by the way is hilarious, only niner fans in there as they ban everyone within a few posts for talking actual football.

That fan base is something else, I would like nothing more than to taste some niner tears this year. Their starters are good, and we are unproven, but I like our chances.
I am convinced after watching Kansas City we are definitely really close but I need to see us in 4 or 5 real games first but it's feeling like 2010-11 currently.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
We just need Patrick Mahomes, a quarterback that understands he can make way more money outside of his contract while winning multiple Super Bowls.

Unlike Erin and Me3. I need to see if Geno is for real it's looking good so far but prove it. If Geno is Rich Gannon we are real Super Bowl contenders if not John needs to draft our actual quarterback immediately.

Last edited:

Marvin49

Reaction score
...well I guess its a good thing that the 49ers won't field 22 backups all at once (hopefully).

Honestly, the only things I learned from that game....

1) Raiders backup D-Line significantly better than 49ers backup O-Line. There are several guys on the field yesterday though that won't make the team. Niners probably only carry 8 linemen into games. No starter played yesterday on either side of the ball.

2) I'm a bit concerned at Nickel CB. They lost Jimmy Ward and signed Isaiah Oliver to play that spot and that looked like a good signing, but he struggled yesterday. Bears watching.

3) Trey didn't play well, but after watching it again and see what was going on downfield, it wasn't as bad as I thought. It wasn't good to be sure, but some of his "indecisiveness" looked like zero separation from any backup WR or TE. For example, twice he looked at first read, got to second, and was sacked. Those first reads both had corners either driving on the ball or standing where the ball would be thrown. His worst throw to be honest was likely the TD.

4) Clelin Ferrell actually looked really good...but have to temper that with knowledge that he was playing against a backup (maybe even 3rd string) tackle.

5) Moody looks like he got inside his head on that second kick. Over compensated for miss at 40 yards. Lost in the huge miss from 58 was that if it was straight it was good from like 65-70 yards. Dudes got a leg. He's been hitting from 60+ all camp. Bad start to be sure though. Also got good hangtime on kickoffs.

6) 49ers young linebackers are FAST. Marcelino McCary-Ball probably with by LB3, but Jalen Graham looked GOOD and Dee Winters is interesting. Ball and Graham are converted Safeties and undersized LBs...which appears to be a trend for 49er LBs.

7) CB Ambry Thomas played really well.

8) UDFA CB D'Shawn Jamison played well on D and looked electric returning kicks. With Ray-Ray McCloud out 8 weeks, that might be Niners Punt Returner.

9) 3rd round TE Cameron Latu looks the part walking off the bus, but MAN he drops alot of passes (in camp) and compounded the issue by being penalized in the game AND fumbling. 7th round TE Braydon Willis actually looks better than him right now.

bileever

Reaction score
I saw that game, and I thought that all three backup QBs, Lance, Darnold and Allen looked bad. The 49ers better be sure Purdy is the real deal because there isn't a solid alternative. Trey Lance in particular looked lost, even though he was 10-15, he really wasn't very effective. No touch on short passes, and didn't really throw deep. His one TD pass was a terrible pass thrown right at a Raiders DB, who juggled the ball and then batted it right to Ross Dwelley, the 49ers TE for a TD. He was sacked 4 times, and it could have been more. It seemed like he was having trouble pulling the trigger.

I know that it was just the second string D-line, but it seemed like the Raiders gashed them 6-8 yards every time they ran the ball. The players that the 49er fans here have been touting, Clelin Ferrell and Javon Kinlaw were playing, and I didn't think they played that well. Ferrell did get a sack but he looked ineffective against the run. The 49er defense made Aiden O'Connell, the Raiders' rookie QB look like a solid veteran.

Also great to see the first kicker drafted this year, Jake Moody, miss his two FG attempts. Hilariously, both times, Josh McDaniels decided to ice the kicker by calling timeouts. In a preseason game! What a dick McDaniels is. But I guess you can't argue with the results.

The final score, btw, was Raiders 34, 49ers 7.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I saw that game, and I thought that all three backup QBs, Lance, Darnold and Allen looked bad. The 49ers better be sure Purdy is the real deal because there isn't a solid alternative. Trey Lance in particular looked lost, even though he was 10-15, he really wasn't very effective. No touch on short passes, and didn't really throw deep. His one TD pass was a terrible pass thrown right at a Raiders DB, who juggled the ball and then batted it right to Ross Dwelley, the 49ers TE for a TD. He was sacked 4 times, and it could have been more. It seemed like he was having trouble pulling the trigger.

I know that it was just the second string D-line, but it seemed like the Raiders gashed them 6-8 yards every time they ran the ball. The players that the 49er fans here have been touting, Clelin Ferrell and Javon Kinlaw were playing, and I didn't think they played that well. Ferrell did get a sack but he looked ineffective against the run. The 49er defense made Aiden O'Connell, the Raiders' rookie QB look like a solid veteran.

Also great to see the first kicker drafted this year, Jake Moody, miss his two FG attempts. Hilariously, both times, Josh McDaniels decided to ice the kicker by calling timeouts. In a preseason game! What a dick McDaniels is. But I guess you can't argue with the results.

The final score, btw, was Raiders 34, 49ers 7.

No touch on short passes seems kinda meaningless to me. Not like he was overpowering short passes.

Long passes is an odd thing to say as well since he was under siege most of the time.

He made some bad decisions though. No question there. If you watch what he was seeing the "seems lost" comment is put in proper context. Raiders sitting on a number of those routes (particularly short ones). Then if they tried something longer, he had a guy in his face quickly. Not to say Trey played well...he didn't...but the O-Line did him no favors at all.

Don't think Ferrell has been touted here at all. You may be thinking of Drake Jackson who didn't play. Javon was up and down. Pushed his way out of a few plays, did a pass rush move that took him right past the ball carrier, but also got into he backfield on the regular.

RE McDaniels, it would be a better story if he was icing the kicker, but he told Michael Siver after the game that in both instances the Raiders were mis-aligned. I actually like it as its a test for Moody...one that he failed. Rather he do that now than later.

Maulbert

Reaction score
...well I guess its a good thing that the 49ers won't field 22 backups all at once (hopefully).

Honestly, the only things I learned from that game....

1) Raiders backup D-Line significantly better than 49ers backup O-Line. There are several guys on the field yesterday though that won't make the team. Niners probably only carry 8 linemen into games. No starter played yesterday on either side of the ball.

2) I'm a bit concerned at Nickel CB. They lost Jimmy Ward and signed Isaiah Oliver to play that spot and that looked like a good signing, but he struggled yesterday. Bears watching.

3) Trey didn't play well, but after watching it again and see what was going on downfield, it wasn't as bad as I thought. It wasn't good to be sure, but some of his "indecisiveness" looked like zero separation from any backup WR or TE. For example, twice he looked at first read, got to second, and was sacked. Those first reads both had corners either driving on the ball or standing where the ball would be thrown. His worst throw to be honest was likely the TD.

4) Clelin Ferrell actually looked really good...but have to temper that with knowledge that he was playing against a backup (maybe even 3rd string) tackle.

5) Moody looks like he got inside his head on that second kick. Over compensated for miss at 40 yards. Lost in the huge miss from 58 was that if it was straight it was good from like 65-70 yards. Dudes got a leg. He's been hitting from 60+ all camp. Bad start to be sure though. Also got good hangtime on kickoffs.

6) 49ers young linebackers are FAST. Marcelino McCary-Ball probably with by LB3, but Jalen Graham looked GOOD and Dee Winters is interesting. Ball and Graham are converted Safeties and undersized LBs...which appears to be a trend for 49er LBs.

7) CB Ambry Thomas played really well.

8) UDFA CB D'Shawn Jamison played well on D and looked electric returning kicks. With Ray-Ray McCloud out 8 weeks, that might be Niners Punt Returner.

9) 3rd round TE Cameron Latu looks the part walking off the bus, but MAN he drops alot of passes (in camp) and compounded the issue by being penalized in the game AND fumbling. 7th round TE Braydon Willis actually looks better than him right now.

RedAlice

Reaction score
RE McDaniels, it would be a better story if he was icing the kicker, but he told Michael Siver after the game that in both instances the Raiders were mis-aligned. I actually like it as its a test for Moody...one that he failed. Rather he do that now than later.

Yeah, that was my thought too - way to give the kicker real time practice with icing the kicker McD.

bileever

Reaction score
I didn't know that about the timeouts. When it happened, I thought, wow, typical McDaniel, a little over the top.

But you aren't the least bit concerned about your backup QBs? It seemed like a pretty lackluster showing against backup defenders.

94Smith

Reaction score
I didn't know that about the timeouts. When it happened, I thought, wow, typical McDaniel, a little over the top.

But you aren't the least bit concerned about your backup QBs? It seemed like a pretty lackluster showing against backup defenders.
I am not concerned about the back up qbs I am more concerned with the back up o line men .

94Smith

Reaction score
Hope springs eternal, pal. That's what this thread is about. We're looking for any sign that the 49ers might not be as good as they seem.
49ers will probably sputter out of the gate in September as well as that is what they have done over the last 3-4 years. Even last year, when Lance needed all the reps he could, he sat in preseason games. I don’t like the way Kyle runs camps. Look at Andy Reid in KC. Even mahomes plays in the games

bileever

Reaction score
49ers will probably sputter out of the gate in September as well as that is what they have done over the last 3-4 years. Even last year, when Lance needed all the reps he could, he sat in preseason games. I don’t like the way Kyle runs camps. Look at Andy Reid in KC. Even mahomes plays in the games
I think preseason is evolving, and coaches haven't figured out how to balance keeping players healthy and getting them ready. It's a tough calculation.

Given that Purdy is getting over an injury, I think it makes sense to sit him during preseason, don't you? Or do most 49er fans think he should be playing?

And of course, the big question is, will sitting out so much of camp hurt Bosa? At least his contract negotiation doesn't seem to be antagonistic, so he won't be negative when he returns. My hope, of course, is that he comes back fat and happy and with $100 million in the bank, what does he have to play for?

Marvin49

Reaction score
I am not concerned about the back up qbs I am more concerned with the back up o line men .
This X100.

Trey didn't play well and Darnold was marginally better, but my biggest concerns was OL reserves and Nickel CB.