TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
View attachment 61504

Nothing better than a dot net semi-meltdown after they just made our D Line better. Oh the horror.
Getting better sucks!!!!!!!! Plug and play guy, ready to rock right away.

Draft picks are a total crapshoot. Nicely done JS.
The great point about this is he is surrounded by better players than the Giants have which will, in turn, make him better. It’s baby steps for some people. Depth is a key concept to wear people out if we are sticking to this “win in the 4th quarter” bullshit. I hate Pete, that’s not a secret… I love this move from the team.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Gotta say, I'm not sold on this trade. I'm not saying I won't like it, just not 100% sold on it. Our defense is really starting to come together and this smells like a one year spendy rental. I'm not sure it'll do enough for us this year to make up for the lost picks. Hopefully I'm wrong. Either way once the deal is done, he's a Seahawk and I'll be rooting for him every week.
I see your point but on the flip it could be a rallying cry that it’s support and a sign of we’re going for it to a point. Geno has to get back to consistent play… another discussion for another thread and won’t hijack this one.

I like your thoughts though and think it’s on point. But I’m seriously a nobody and just want the Hawks to win.

bileever

Reaction score
Despite my concern that we overpaid for a rental, Leonard Williams is a great player who is not over the hill by any means.

I saw a lot of Leonard Williams when I lived in NYC during the first 5 years of his career, and the man can be a game wrecker. In 2020, he had 11.5 sacks from the tackle position!! Plus 14 TFLs and 30, yes 30 QB hits.

And he is a big dude, 6' 5" and weighing over 300 pounds.

For some reason, he hasn't been as dominant in the last two years under DC Wink Martindale. Not sure what's changed.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Yep, it is not Williams that excites me, it is Williams teamed up with Jones and Reed that excites me
With an excellent secondary as well. By the time we hit those games against the Niners that unit should be top 5 in the league.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Anyone here ever happy? Lol

I’m glad PC and JS didn’t chase someone for some of y’all that want Fantasy football level stats lol. I’m glad they got a guy that will fit in and bolster the defense immediately

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Despite my concern that we overpaid for a rental, Leonard Williams is a great player who is not over the hill by any means.

I saw a lot of Leonard Williams when I lived in NYC during the first 5 years of his career, and the man can be a game wrecker. In 2020, he had 11.5 sacks from the tackle position!! Plus 14 TFLs and 30, yes 30 QB hits.

I remember him wrecking the Seahawks in the game in 2020.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Trades like this are just way, way too short term focused for my taste; serious draft capital in exchange for a half season rental. I still like the FO and view this as part of the price of doing business in their "always compete" mindset. I'm sure it's tough to sell the team on winning the Super Bowl if you don't make moves like this, or especially if you make the kind of moves I would make (trading away players for more draft capital).

If Williams walks next off-season with no deal - like Clowney or Richardson - that will actually be an OK outcome for me. The outcome I worry about is where we feel like we have to extend him to justify the 2nd round pick, and drastically overpay him as a result.
Seahawk had plays running on the left for like no gain or negative yards.
I don't disagree with you, but one thing to remember is that many of our run plays involve pulling OL across the formation. A run between LT and LG that gets stuffed may have intended to have our nasty run blocking RG leading the way, but it's easy for timings to get thrown off simply due to happenstance and the defense behaving unpredictably. Dickerson is doing a nice job IMO of putting our OL in a situation to succeed.
But I do love the "I know better than John Schneider, one of the greatest GM's in modern football" hot takes.
In my view it's more about having different discount rates. Pete particularly has a very high discount rate where he's wired to always try to go for it and convince the team they are going for it. That's gotten us a lot of wins over the years and I can't fault his perceptions, but I see John as having a valuable role in pushing back a little with a longer term view. Ownership should have a longer view still, and then us season ticket holders should have the longest view of all. A win in 2027 is still worth 90% as much to me as a win in 2023 and so moves like this are never going to pencil out to suit my preferences.

nivs

Reaction score
Maybe draft the best available QB with our first round pick next year?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
If Williams walks next off-season with no deal - like Clowney or Richardson - that will actually be an OK outcome for me. The outcome I worry about is where we feel like we have to extend him to justify the 2nd round pick, and drastically overpay him as a result.

I agree. This trade looks best if he's a ten-to-fourteen-game rental and goes somewhere else with a gigantic contract next offseason. First, for him to get a huge contract, he'll have to show major value with the Seahawks. Second, if he gets a big contract somewhere else, the Seahawks could get a nice compensatory pick, and that would make the overall draft capital involved in this trade look a lot better.

warden

Reaction score
Maybe draft the best available QB with our first round pick next year?
I am for this. We may also have the luxury of drafting a QB that is a little raw but skilled and sit him his first year to develop him.

warden

Reaction score
We may also be able to sign Williams to an extension. Who knows at this point of time

Fade

Reaction score
This is a player that kinda completes their defense.

However, he is a Free Agent at the end of the year.

A pretty steep price to pay for an 8 game rental.

That 2nd Rd pick is incredibly valuable in an upcoming QB rich draft.

I'd love this trade if he had 1-2 more years on his contract. Him being a Free Agent in a few months devalues it for me.

Overall Grade: B-

Latest posts