TRADE ALERT!!! Leonard Williams to the Seahawks!

warden

Reaction score
This is a player that kinda completes their defense.

However, he is a Free Agent at the end of the year.

A pretty steep price to pay for an 8 game rental.

That 2nd Rd pick is incredibly valuable in an upcoming QB rich draft.

I'd love this trade if he had 1-2 more years on his contract. Him being a Free Agent in a few months devalues it for me.

Overall Grade: B-
I wonder if the team had permission to approach Williams about what it would take to extend him before pulling the trigger

Lagartixa

Reaction score
For those thinking compensatory pick - PCJS rarely get comp picks because they nearly always sign more high value FA players than they lose.

Yes and no.
First, it's not because they signed more high-value free agents than they lost that they didn't get compensatory picks in the 2021-2023 drafts. It's that the number of free agents they sign, mostly cheap ones (Dre'Mont Jones was an unusual exception), has sometimes been larger than the number they lost to free agency, eliminating them from the list of teams that could get comp picks.
Second, is it really fair to say that Schneider and Carroll "rarely" get comp picks? In 2010-2017, the Seahawks picked thirteen players with comp picks. In 2020, they got three comp picks. So I think that's 16 in 14 seasons.

Ruminator

Reaction score
I don't get why nearly everyone figures it's a foregone conclusion that it's just a 1-year rental and there's no possibility Seahawks will sign him for additional years. Unless I missed it, I've yet to see a comment from anyone entertaining the notion that he could decide to stick around beyond this season. I get he might command a hefty new contract after this season, but surely there's the possibility the market isn't going to automatically entice Williams to another team for big bucks after this season.

cymatica

Reaction score
This is a player that kinda completes their defense.

However, he is a Free Agent at the end of the year.

A pretty steep price to pay for an 8 game rental.

That 2nd Rd pick is incredibly valuable in an upcoming QB rich draft.

I'd love this trade if he had 1-2 more years on his contract. Him being a Free Agent in a few months devalues it for me.

Overall Grade: B-
Meh. He knows he's getting old and will probably love playing for a winning team. If the season goes well, I'm thinking he takes a team friendly deal to finish off his career in a good environment. I bet he also starts playing out of his mind once he settles in here

Ruminator

Reaction score
Meh. He knows he's getting old and will probably love playing for a winning team. If the season goes well, I'm thinking he takes a team friendly deal to finish off his career in a good environment. I bet he also starts playing out of his mind once he settles in here
Ah, never mind, there's one now, thanks to cymatica.

bileever

Reaction score
Leonard Williams is 29, and this will likely be his last chance for big payday. Javon Hargrave is 30 years old, and signed for $84 million/4 years with the 49ers this year. You know how hard it is to find a big body for the interior line. He's going to get a lot of money this off season.

LTH

Reaction score
Despite my concern that we overpaid for a rental, Leonard Williams is a great player who is not over the hill by any means.

I saw a lot of Leonard Williams when I lived in NYC during the first 5 years of his career, and the man can be a game wrecker. In 2020, he had 11.5 sacks from the tackle position!! Plus 14 TFLs and 30, yes 30 QB hits.

And he is a big dude, 6' 5" and weighing over 300 pounds.

For some reason, he hasn't been as dominant in the last two years under DC Wink Martindale. Not sure what's changed.
When Williams gets into this Seahawk culture it's going to change the way he thinks about the game. He already has history with Love and Adams, but the players like Wagner, Diggs and Reed the chemistry on this D is going to be amazing. This was a HUGE pick up in every sense of the word!

I think this is going to propell the Seahawks to have the best D in the league..

Now all that needs to happen is for the O to find its rhythm... I think we are looking at the best Seahawk team in history... when this O finds its rhythm, and I think the Cleveland game was a break out game the very start of offensive dominance, this team is going to explode into greatness! The talent is there its just a matter of them finding rhythm.

WOW this is going to be a fun year... I'm totally stoked!!

LTH

rjdriver

Reaction score
A couple things....

1. It's a possibility that this is not a one year rental. Right now, it appears we are up against some serous cap limitations, but that can change. Also, expect LW to really ball out during the rest of the season as he tries to maximize his FA contract leverage.

2. I will admit, I don't like losing picks for short term rentals unless you are an absolute powerhouse who is objectively one piece away. (Sheldon Richardson is an example of what I hate).

3. We still have a 2024 1st, two 3rd's, and a 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th. Also the pick we gave the Giants will almost certainly not be a top 20 pick.

4. Like @SoulfishHawk insinuated early on. Picks are a crapshoot even for teams that do draft well. L. Williams is a known quantity, a sure thing if you will.

Look at this way, would you trade any of these guys for Leonard Williams.....

Christine Michael?
Paul Richardson?
Malik McDowell?
Ethan Pocic?
Marquise Blair?
D'Wayne Eskridge?

Those guys were all JS 2nd round picks. Sure, there are other unmentioned 2nd round picks that were absolute studs and that's not lost on me, but the point is we miss in the second as much as we hit.

If we extend him, I love it. If it's truly a half a year rental, I'm not near as happy. We are a better team than we were this morning though, and we should all be excited for that.

warden

Reaction score
Pete knows the team payed a steep price for Williams. They really like what he brings to the table. They are naturally going to work on signing him to an extension. Pete also said having a second third round draft pick made them feel that way hey could let go of the second round pick for Williams

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Anyone here ever happy? Lol

I’m glad PC and JS didn’t chase someone for some of y’all that want Fantasy football level stats lol. I’m glad they got a guy that will fit in and bolster the defense immediately
I think the concern here is valid. Last game definitely showed us that our line was still a concern. I think he’s going to be a a valuable contributor.

All that being said, given his age and lack of contract, similar trade busts and price tag, it’s kind of hard to be completely jacked and pumped about the trade. Especially considering our history with these types of trades.

Making these big trades is what arguably one of the things that got our team in a poor position to begin with. There is definitely a reason why fans are viewing this with some skepticism.

I think it comes down to this; is Seattle a championship team? Seattle is getting to that point but I don’t think we are quite there yet. I know Pete Carroll thinks we are, but there are several reasons why I think we aren’t at the moment.

We have a lot of inexperience on our team and as of late we are having some questions at the QB position and with offensive continuity. Geno Smith is becoming a liability. Pete has faith in the man, but at this point the first half of 2022 is starting to look more and more like an aberration in his career. He isn’t a bad QB by any means, but his performances lately are a major weak point of this team.

You can win a championship if a QB heats up at the right time and Geno certainly has been hot before. I personally don’t think he’s a great person to hedge a championship on, because that is essentially what we’re doing.

cymatica

Reaction score
I think the concern here is valid. Last game definitely showed us that our line was still a concern. I think he’s going to be a a valuable contributor.

All that being said, given his age and lack of contract, similar trade busts and price tag, it’s kind of hard to be completely jacked and pumped about the trade. Especially considering our history with these types of trades.

Making these big trades is what arguably one of the things that got our team in a poor position to begin with. There is definitely a reason why fans are viewing this with some skepticism.

I think it comes down to this; is Seattle a championship team? Seattle is getting to that point but I don’t think we are quite there yet. I know Pete Carroll thinks we are, but there are several reasons why I think we aren’t at the moment.

We have a lot of inexperience on our team and as of late we are having some questions at the QB position and with offensive continuity. Geno Smith is becoming a liability. Pete has faith in the man, but at this point the first half of 2022 is starting to look more and more like an aberration in his career. He isn’t a bad QB by any means, but his performances lately are a major weak point of this team.

You can win a championship if a QB heats up at the right time and Geno certainly has been hot before. I personally don’t think he’s a great person to hedge a championship on, because that is essentially what we’re doing.
Not a "big trade" though.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I’ll say it again...this guy was the 6th pick in the 2015 NFL draft. Plus he’s more than proven his worth in the NFL. This year isn’t even close to being over and folks are griping about next season? This could still be a remarkable year...he may stick around if they continue to win. Even if he doesn’t, let’s enjoy the ride while he’s here. Hopefully he adapts well to the Seahawk culture and rocks from the get go. Then let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited:

JPatera76

Reaction score
Some of yall just find anything to bitch and whine about. jfc. lol "his age" GTFO with that bullshit EXCUSE. lol AGE? jfc thats some serious reach.

heres some more gas to pour on the fire on those who want to just bitch bitch bitch bitch

kidhawk

Reaction score
I see your point but on the flip it could be a rallying cry that it’s support and a sign of we’re going for it to a point. Geno has to get back to consistent play… another discussion for another thread and won’t hijack this one.

I like your thoughts though and think it’s on point. But I’m seriously a nobody and just want the Hawks to win.

I can’t disagree. I will root for him like he’s been here all along. I don’t think I’ve ever rooted for a trade to fail and I’m not starting now

cymatica

Reaction score
Leonard Williams is 29, and this will likely be his last chance for big payday. Javon Hargrave is 30 years old, and signed for $84 million/4 years with the 49ers this year. You know how hard it is to find a big body for the interior line. He's going to get a lot of money this off season.
Sucks for them if they don't win it all this year...