Seahawks watched Leonard Williams for a long time

ivotuk

Reaction score
Carroll: Seahawks watched Leonard Williams for a long time

RENTON, Wash. (AP) — From afar, Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll always wanted a chance to have Leonard Williams on his team.

The affinity started when Williams was in college at Southern California, the place Carroll used to coach. It continued when Williams became a standout on the defensive line playing in the NFL in New York, first for the Jets and then the Giants.

“We watched him for a long time. I’ve known him for a good while — Trojan and all that — and he’s a fantastic football player,” Carroll said during his weekly Monday press conference. “He’s the kind of guy who can make a difference in games.”

Carroll got his wish on Monday when the NFC West-leading Seahawks acquired Williams from the struggling Giants for a pair of draft picks.

The tradeoff for the draft capital is New York picking up most of the base salary owed to Williams for this season, leaving Seattle to pay just the prorated veteran minimum the rest of the way.

Williams had a $32 million cap hit this season, the highest on the Giants roster. Seattle does have two third-round picks in 2024, softening the blow of giving up the second-rounder.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As in...you mean the armchair doubters may not have the same equivalent evaluation and decision skills that a professional coaching staff may have? interesting take.
Exactly, amazing take. Fans don't know more than Pete and John. Shocker.........

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Yeah it looks like the hold up was the 2nd rounder, of which we finally gave in. But then JS negotiated the salary concession.
Interesting comment. Source?

The reason that I question it is we're fairly tight to the cap right now ($6.4M) and before the trade we were at only $7.4M... so it seems that the salary concession was a must from the get-go rather than a deal closer.

What was Williams' 2023 base salary before the trade?

EDIT: I just looked it up. It was $18M... with $10M remaining, which we couldn't afford unless we cut someone or restructured someone.

JPatera76

Reaction score

The reason that I question it is we're fairly tight to the cap right now ($6.4M) and before the trade we were at only $7.4M... so it seems that the salary concession was a must from the get-go rather than a deal closer.

EDIT: I just looked it up. It was $18M... with $10M remaining, which we couldn't afford unless we cut someone or restructured someone.
Seattles only paying him vet minimum

“Seattle will owe him just $647,222 for the rest of the season.”

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Seattle has been after Williams for a while, and NY knew they weren't going to sign him to an extension.

So yeah, the hold up was we only wanted to give up a 3rd rounder, and gave in with the 2nd. But IMO a great concession making the Giants eat the 10M so we could afford it.

Great trade for both sides. Someone doesn't always have to get fleeced for everyone to get excited.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Montez Sweat has been traded to the Bears for a 2nd round pick. He's not nearly as versatile as Williams. Interesting trade.

Good point on the Williams trade. It works great for both teams. No fleecing either way.
Also, I didn't know he was a team captain. Listening to media types out in NY, they have nothing but very good things to say about this kid.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Seattles only paying him vet minimum

“Seattle will owe him just $647,222 for the rest of the season.”
I was aware of that. I was just questioning whether the salary concession was the deal closer Sarge is suggesting... or it had to be in place early in the negotiation because we couldn't afford his $10M salary for the rest of the year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Here is what I remember of LW from his days at USC: Big guy who’s very strong and gives full effort on every play. A quiet leader. Well liked. Ran right around 5 flat at the combine at just over 300 pounds. Can play all along the line.

He’s 29 now so likely not as fast. He’s only missed a handful of games in his career. Obviously on the back end of his career which could still mean 5-6 years left. He should be a great fit for what we need right now, especially on the interior line.

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I dont know anything about Leonard Williams, but why did the Giants let him go?

sutz

Reaction score
I dont know anything about Leonard Williams, but why did the Giants let him go?
Well, their season is all but over. It seems unlikely he would re-sign there next year, so they got some draft capital for him at least. Wasn't for cap relief this year as they're eating his salary for us, but it'll free up some space for them moving forward.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Yeah it looks like the hold up was the 2nd rounder, of which we finally gave in. But then JS negotiated the salary concession.

Only downside is not being able to draft a RB next year.
Don’t worry, Mar-Shawn Lloyd and Bucky Irving will be around in the 3rd.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Well, their season is all but over. It seems unlikely he would re-sign there next year, so they got some draft capital for him at least. Wasn't for cap relief this year as they're eating his salary for us, but it'll free up some space for them moving forward.

I can understand the draft capital, but people on here are saying he's really good and I just wondered why the Giants werent going to resign him. A second is alright, but isnt he worth more than a second?