Seahawks watched Leonard Williams for a long time

andyh64000

Reaction score
I can understand the draft capital, but people on here are saying he's really good and I just wondered why the Giants werent going to resign him. A second is alright, but isnt he worth more than a second?

He didn't want to play for the Giants and a 2nd is pretty good for 1/2 a season. They would have gotten a 3rd in a compensatory pick so they improved that slightly and got a 5th on top of it. We did pretty well because if we don't resign him we gave up a low 2nd and a 5th for a 3rd.

seabowl

Reaction score
He didn't want to play for the Giants and a 2nd is pretty good for 1/2 a season. They would have gotten a 3rd in a compensatory pick so they improved that slightly and got a 5th on top of it. We did pretty well because if we don't resign him we gave up a low 2nd and a 5th for a 3rd.
Everybody’s automatically assuming that if he leaves Seattle gets a third round compensatory pick. He needs to meet certain criteria in order for Seattle to get a third round pick so we’ll see. With that said, I do think he will resign with Seattle as Seattle will not want to have egg on their face for giving up a second round pick and a fifth round pick for a half a season

chrispy

Reaction score
If Pete's really been targeting LW for a decade, it seems like he'd be motivated to figure out an extension. Considering the Giant's season, it might be a better deal for the Seahawks to negotiate ASAP.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Here is what I remember of LW from his days at USC: Big guy who’s very strong and gives full effort on every play. A quiet leader. Well liked. Ran right around 5 flat at the combine at just over 300 pounds. Can play all along the line.

He’s 29 now so likely not as fast. He’s only missed a handful of games in his career. Obviously on the back end of his career which could still mean 5-6 years left. He should be a great fit for what we need right now, especially on the interior line.
Missed 5 games in 2022. Lets hope he stays healthy the rest of this season.

renofox

Reaction score
Everybody’s automatically assuming that if he leaves Seattle gets a third round compensatory pick. He needs to meet certain criteria in order for Seattle to get a third round pick so we’ll see. With that said, I do think he will resign with Seattle as Seattle will not want to have egg on their face for giving up a second round pick and a fifth round pick for a half a season
Yep. PCJS will probably give him 30M a year when his second best offer is 6M. Their aversion to embarrassment has us paying, what?, 50M+ on frigging safeties.

seabowl

Reaction score
Yep. PCJS will probably give him 30M a year when his second best offer is 6M. Their aversion to embarrassment has us paying, what?, 50M+ on frigging safeties.
100% spot on. Team management are sometimes like politicians spending taxpayer money just so they take the spotlight off themselves for a bad move. Once they traded for Adams, he had them by the balls because there was no way they were going to let him walk after they gave up two first round picks. As smart as JS is at times he’s equally not smart in some of these moves.

Last edited:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I truly believe Pete will stay until the team is sold. You Pete haters want to scratch out signs of him leaving out of not much real evidence. Pete will be here for a good while yet.

This is nothing more than they have been looking for a quality 3 tech DT and Willams is the guy they wanted to get at the risk of not being able to re-sign him. If they can’t re-sign him it’d not be because they didn’t try, and if that is the case they traded a 2nd and a future late pick for a cheap rental and a 3rd rd comp pick.

I don’t think we’ve seen all this player can bring to the table yet.

GemCity

Reaction score
If he’s not resigned, it was a horrible decision.

If we retain him, good deal.

Thats a big “if”.

I love what he brings, but if he’s not re-signed….

Just how it goes….roll the dice ( same as the draft).

Last edited:

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I think Pete and John have become oblivious to the egg in their face - along with most everything else -

Pete anyway - John - who knows.

morgulon1

Reaction score
If Seattle can't sign Williams to an extension , they get the 3rd round compensation pick? Am I understanding this correctly?

Rat

Reaction score
Our front office has given no priority to comp picks in recent years. I doubt that's a big consieration, although it would be nice.

morgulon1

Reaction score
It's a better trade if this is the case
Then worse case , they move from a 2nd to a 3rd . Lose a 5th outright and paid a top DL vet minimum for half a season .

I have to think they want him long term . That's the vibe I get anyway with the way Carroll was going on a out how he's liked him for a long time . I also read that Williams bought a house in Seattle . That's a good sign.

renofox

Reaction score
If Seattle can't sign Williams to an extension , they get the 3rd round compensation pick? Am I understanding this correctly?
You only get comp picks if you lose more qualified free agents than you sign. "Qualified" is based on several factors, the most important of which is actual salary. Only higher paid players are "qualified".

PCJS haven't had comp picks for years because few of our lost FAs are good enough to be qualified, and PCJS seem to sign overpaid mediocrities every single season.

morgulon1

Reaction score
You only get comp picks if you lose more qualified free agents than you sign. "Qualified" is based on several factors, the most important of which is actual salary. Only higher paid players are "qualified".

PCJS haven't had comp picks for years because few of our lost FAs are good enough to be qualified, and PCJS seem to sign overpaid mediocrities every single season.
So they gave up a 2nd and 5th for a half season rental with a potential under .500 final record.. hahaha 🤣

Good shit

GemCity

Reaction score
So they gave up a 2nd and 5th for a half season rental with a potential under .500 final record.. hahaha 🤣

Good shit
Exactly. Even if he re-signs (for what’s sure to be a boatload), it’s yet another dumbass decision.

Starting to think this is the place where past their prime players come to get paid and call it a day career wise.