The offense.. or lack there of

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Scutter, you've made some great points, but I don't completely buy the last one. Why would a coach anticipate that he has to work around a deficiency? The idea should be that everyone will do their job and the play will work because the entire unit succeeds. It would be handcuffing your abilities and somewhat admitting defeat from the get-go to take that philosophy.

As I've said numerous times, Bevell works with less than many of his peers and has to carry out his offense within the parameters of Pete's ultra-no-risk style. Now saying that, he's made it work quite well as our record will indicate.

Going back to the initial chest-beating of the Rams, I'd like to see the breakdown of what they pay the offense compared to the defense. I'm sure it's more than what we are allocating. How many early-round draft picks are part of this renaissance, simply because they've sucked so bad under the previous regimes. .... and most of all, if they're so damn good, how did we go out and beat them on the road and are currently only 1 game back with a chance to meet them again at home? Guess we still know what we are doing.

Neither the Rams nor the Vikings have really proven anything yet. We're only halfway through the season, a midpoint where we typically start a strong second-half run. There's history on our side and there's no reason to believe we won't repeat that pattern. You can't say that about the Vikes or the Rams.

No, I believe in our philosophy, staff and leadership. They haven't given me a reason not to believe them. My barber has an uncle who owns a candy shop that Jay Glazer regularly buys jelly beans and he told him that very same thing.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":6lydp2wu said:
If you just watch football in the surface and need a scapegoat, that's the illogical conclusion one could draw. A closer look would reveal that is rubbish. The mighty Rams are just 1 game in front of us and since we play them again nothing in our division is close to being settled. We also will have the tiebreaker if we beat them again, a home game I believe. So tell your friend that his team has improved, but we still rule the roost and our offense will put more points on the board in head-to-head matchups.
Just stop.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Cmon man, the Vikings lost their starting QB (who was an insurance plan for Bridgewater himself), RB, have been missing their WR1 most of the season, and their OL isn't fantastic. You gotta give Zim credit for getting them to 7-2 with Keenum at QB. That's proving plenty to me.

The Rams are the top scoring offense in the league. Nuff said. We tried to discredit a similarly prolific offense in the Falcons last year but they still blew the doors off us in the playoffs. They're legit until proven otherwise. We can sweep them and they can easily still finish with more wins than us.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Not doubting they might turn it around but barely hanging on against a bad Cardinals team is rough.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":37umb8er said:
Scutter, you've made some great points, but I don't completely buy the last one. Why would a coach anticipate that he has to work around a deficiency? The idea should be that everyone will do their job and the play will work because the entire unit succeeds. It would be handcuffing your abilities and somewhat admitting defeat from the get-go to take that philosophy.

As I've said numerous times, Bevell works with less than many of his peers and has to carry out his offense within the parameters of Pete's ultra-no-risk style. Now saying that, he's made it work quite well as our record will indicate.

Going back to the initial chest-beating of the Rams, I'd like to see the breakdown of what they pay the offense compared to the defense. I'm sure it's more than what we are allocating. How many early-round draft picks are part of this renaissance, simply because they've sucked so bad under the previous regimes. .... and most of all, if they're so damn good, how did we go out and beat them on the road and are currently only 1 game back with a chance to meet them again at home? Guess we still know what we are doing.

Neither the Rams nor the Vikings have really proven anything yet. We're only halfway through the season, a midpoint where we typically start a strong second-half run. There's history on our side and there's no reason to believe we won't repeat that pattern. You can't say that about the Vikes or the Rams.

No, I believe in our philosophy, staff and leadership. They haven't given me a reason not to believe them. My barber has an uncle who owns a candy shop that Jay Glazer regularly buys jelly beans and he told him that very same thing.

Rams spend $63 mil on offense, 27th in the league. Seahawks spend $61 million, 29th in the league. Cool, we beat them, that is fantastic, but it doesn't change the fact that we are currently behind them in the standings.

With our defensive losses, our offense will have to step up the rest of the season. Let's hope it happens.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
As of this week, Seahawks offense ranks 7th in yds per game, 2nd in pass yds per game, 11th in pts per game, and the bad stat, 22nd in rush yards per game.

You whine asses wouldn't be happy until they rank 1st in every category, both offense and defense. This isn't a discussion at all. Just a bunch of people throwing their weekly fit. Its the same people, over and over again. Just pathetic, you will always find a reason to throw fits. I'm so glad I don't have fans like you all.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":2e95kiyu said:
As of this week, Seahawks offense ranks 7th in yds per game, 2nd in pass yds per game, 11th in pts per game, and the bad stat, 22nd in rush yards per game.

You whine asses wouldn't be happy until they rank 1st in every category, both offense and defense. This isn't a discussion at all. Just a bunch of people throwing their weekly fit. Its the same people, over and over again. Just pathetic, you will always find a reason to throw fits. I'm so glad I don't have fans like you all.
Stats are great and all - but when you watch this team do you think their offense looks good?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":rvdhdxw6 said:

I am definitely not drinking your Kool-Aid. 8)

cymatica

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":1a4jqb3b said:

The stats you listed might tell more of a story if you include the ranks of the defenses we faced.

How many points and yards come in the hurry up, or at the end of halfs?

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1aw8nuyf said:
Good point, The Beatles are by far my favorite.

:?: :?:
I thought you liked waffles better?

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hope Lacy is healthy this week. He will solve our running game issues if they give him the carries he needs. Rawls is trash.

mrt144

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3pb00pkt said:
Hope Lacy is healthy this week. He will solve our running game issues if they give him the carries he needs. Rawls is trash.

Bruh, nothing supports this thought.

Seymour

Reaction score
mrt144":3b4lelia said:
ImTheScientist":3b4lelia said:

Bruh, nothing supports this thought.

He tends to lean toward tin foil science. ;)

Chapow

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":znqbkpiz said:

Good post and I appreciate the effort, but it's pretty clear at this point that any stats that don't support the narrative that the Seahawks offense is a complete and utter dumpster fire will be summarily dismissed.

Oh well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chapow":33ihapmj said:
Jimjones0384":33ihapmj said:

Good post and I appreciate the effort, but it's pretty clear at this point that any stats that don't support the narrative that the Seahawks offense is a complete and utter dumpster fire will be summarily dismissed.

Oh well.

It's not a dumpster fire by any stretch, but it's certainly not close to being a productive well balanced offense that it needs to be in order to do anything in the playoffs.............if we even get into the playoffs.

Over half our offense is Russell running for his life on broken plays and making something happen, and he's the leader on the team currently in rushing. That's laughable for a team that supposedly fancies itself as a power run team and predicates it's entire offensive philosophy on running to open up play action and misdirection.

Moral of the story? The offense doesn't have to be one or the other, broke or amazing! IMO it's only running on about 50% effectiveness, the rest IS a complete dumpster fire.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2cnbt32h said:
Oy, Did not see that coming :34853_tinfoil: :17: :lol:

Seymour

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":3q7vn9nm said:
..... I'm so glad I don't have fans like you all.

A-THRILLING17.jpg

Chapow

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3lbnjvng said:
Moral of the story? The offense doesn't have to be one or the other, broke or amazing!

You realize that this is what some of us have been saying all along, right? That message tends to get drowned out though what with the angry, pitch fork and torch wielding mob shouting down any notion that we are anything other than awful on offense.

Chapow":3lbnjvng said:
Again, there is room for improvement, but this offense is no where near as bad as some of you are making it out to be.

That is from a post in this thread.

scrummymustard

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":3ape4m5g said:

They also rank:
-26th in punts per drive at 47.3%
-27th in 3 and outs per drive at 28%, think about that, nearly 1/3 of their drives are 3 and outs
-26th in pts per red zone trip with 4.38 points per trip
-21st in TDs per red zone trip with a 50% success rate
-19th in pts per drive w/ 1.83 pts per drive

We can all pick and choose stats to skew opinions and arguments.

Like someone else said, how does the eye test hold up with this team on offense? It's not a disaster, but we can be so much better. I'm sick of watching a nearly inept offense what feels like every other week.

mrt144

Reaction score
scrummymustard":eqh8lclp said:
Jimjones0384":eqh8lclp said:

They also rank:
-26th in punts per drive at 47.3%
-27th in 3 and outs per drive at 28%, think about that, nearly 1/3 of their drives are 3 and outs
-26th in pts per red zone trip with 4.38 points per trip
-21st in TDs per red zone trip with a 50% success rate
-19th in pts per drive w/ 1.83 pts per drive

We can all pick and choose stats to skew opinions and arguments.

Like someone else said, how does the eye test hold up with this team on offense? It's not a disaster, but we can be so much better. I'm sick of watching a nearly inept offense what feels like every other week.

On choosing stats to look at - I specifically went after drive stats to get a feel for efficiency differences. The 2017 iteration is performing 1 standard deviation below the average of all previous RW iterations in all but one category.

And here is the nuance in the argument - I'm not saying the Seahawks offense is pure trash - that's not the case. But it is not performing efficiently even by their own body of work up to this point. I'm not measuring the Hawks offense against Brady's Pats or Brees' Saints over the same period of time, I'm measuring against what we might expect given the 5 season history of relatively efficient offensive football with 2 coaches and 1 QB being the common link across all of them.

Basically I'm pointing out that there is something dragging on performance and some people are taking that to be a complete indictment of the offense - like if I were a car mechanic and told you that your air filter was reducing gas mileage I'd be getting responses like "Well the car still runs!" or "So you think I should buy a whole new car" and other various opinions that oscillate between obliviousness, self deception and over the top over reaction.

And I really do pinpoint the problems on offense with our terrible running game, the worst its been in 6 seasons with RW. The causes for that can be explored but the symptoms are obvious with even a little digging.