TE McCoy re-signed today!

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
gabel":asqowkio said:
Is he our #3 or does this mean that Zach Miller is gone? Interesting.

Maybe it puts them in a much better negotiating position with Zach.

Zack Miller is Bye Bye after this signing. I think they are happy with Luke Willson and inspite of many opinions on here, his blocking improved tremendously as the year went on.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2ei37rqs said:
They went into OTAs with Miller, Willson and McCoy last year. I don't think this necessarily tells us anything about Miller. Kellen Davis saw plenty of reps last year, so there's room for three solid TEs.

This. People dismissing Miller because we signed another 'potential' #2 TE haven't been paying attention. Miller is extremely valuable to the Hawks offense. I believe he will get restructured, but the signing of backup TE's doesn't correlate to what happens with Miller.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":3sjro9b4 said:
gabel":3sjro9b4 said:

Zack Miller is Bye Bye after this signing. I think they are happy with Luke Willson and inspite of many opinions on here, his blocking improved tremendously as the year went on.

Cutting Zach Miller would only save an average of 5 million per year over the next two seasons. Look at the tight ends who make less than 5 million per year, it is not a pretty picture.

Zach is more valuable than the savings that would come from cutting him. The only way we would have any leverage to ask him to take less money is if he felt he could not make $5 million per year on the open market.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
As an ASU alum, I love Zach Miller, but if Amaro or ASJ is there at 32 and the regime loves one of them, that may be a way to keep the same level of production from the position, blocking, pass-catching, and all.

I don't see us taking ASJ, but who knows what will be there at 32 at the TE position that can save us some cash (though I'm hoping we take Bitonio and let he, Bailey, and Bowie fight it out for the starting LG and RT positions while letting Giacomini and McQ walk and cutting Carpenter).

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
pocketprotector":2ggrc8s6 said:
seahawk12thman":2ggrc8s6 said:
gabel":2ggrc8s6 said:

Cutting Zach Miller would only save an average of 5 million per year over the next two seasons. Look at the tight ends who make less than 5 million per year, it is not a pretty picture.

Zach is more valuable than the savings that would come from cutting him. The only way we would have any leverage to ask him to take less money is if he felt he could not make $5 million per year on the open market.

I keep hearing he is so valuable but why is that?? The Hawks hardly threw to him so his only real virtue is his blocking ability. If he saves us 10 million over two years and that would allow us to sign McDonald and McDaniel (or a suitable replacement) as well as give us extra cash to sign Thomas or Sherm. To me it is a no brainer. McCoy and Willson (and maybe even a draft pick) can more than compensate and the down grade if any is minimal. Bye Bye Zack. Miller has been awesome and I am very happy he got a ring but his time is up.

two dog

Reaction score
Snakeeyes007":2x0qrocu said:
DavidSeven":2x0qrocu said:
They went into OTAs with Miller, Willson and McCoy last year. I don't think this necessarily tells us anything about Miller. Kellen Davis saw plenty of reps last year, so there's room for three solid TEs.

This. People dismissing Miller because we signed another 'potential' #2 TE haven't been paying attention. Miller is extremely valuable to the Hawks offense. I believe he will get restructured, but the signing of backup TE's doesn't correlate to what happens with Miller.

Thank you. I doubt Miller is going anywhere, even without restructuring. I do look at the signing of McCoy as a big
positive. He made some eye opening catch and run receptions in 2012 so he is not just an accomplished blocker.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":210p5oq5 said:
I keep hearing he is so valuable but why is that?? The Hawks hardly threw to him so his only real virtue is his blocking ability. If he saves us 10 million over two years and that would allow us to sign McDonald and McDaniel (or a suitable replacement) as well as give us extra cash to sign Thomas or Sherm. To me it is a no brainer. McCoy and Willson (and maybe even a draft pick) can more than compensate and the down grade if any is minimal. Bye Bye Zack. Miller has been awesome and I am very happy he got a ring but his time is up.

Run blocking is everything in this offense. And Miller is one of the better blocking TEs in the league. He also has great hands. Which Seahawk had more receiving TDs than Miller in 2013? No one.

I will be surprised if they cut him. It hurts the offense not to have him on the field.

BHF

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1js1gmfp said:

I agree completely. I don't think this means anything beyond the fact that we don't want to go into the draft with any glaring needs.

checkdanews

Reaction score

Well thank the lord you don't run this team! I really thought our fanbase realized how special Miller is, I guess I was wrong. So many

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Good signing for us. It'll be on the cheap, and McCoy appears to have some potential. I wouldn't be too hasty about sending Zach Miller off. I'm sure we'll want him to restructure, but unless we get a steal in the draft or via trade, and it looks like we'll upgrade for far less, we'll keep Miller. And as well we should.

I do hope to see McCoy have a real breakout year this next year.

ErikG803

Reaction score
Great position group, especially if Miller sticks around (hopefully for a little less $). Loved what Willson showed even as a rookie in terms of being a threat in the passing game, and I've always been a huge fan of McCoy. He KILLED some people on blocks and he's weirdly shifty as a passing threat. He seemed to get over his '11 dropsies in '12, was really bummed he got hurt last year.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":20ikrpmc said:
jblaze":20ikrpmc said:
Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin 3m

TE Anthony McCoy has agreed to terms to stay in Seattle with the #Seahawks, per a league source.

What does this mean for Miller? Hmmmm...

Not sure it means much other than the Kellen Davis era is over.

Ahahaha! We grace him with an era?

drdevin

Reaction score
There's no way the FO doesn't have Miller take a pay cut. He can't get more then what the Seahawks would offer even with a pay cut and he's comfortable here and knows his role. Miller stays but at a reduced pay..... I say around 5.5M

JKent82

Reaction score
Sweet! I've been hoping for this one forever now. Gives us good flexibility and

iGmORqSSGuYdx.gif

That swag skip is what's missing on offense.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":xixnoxfj said:
jblaze":xixnoxfj said:
Rand Getlin ‏@Rand_Getlin 3m

TE Anthony McCoy has agreed to terms to stay in Seattle with the #Seahawks, per a league source.

What does this mean for Miller? Hmmmm...

Not sure it means much other than the Kellen Davis era is over.

Not necessarily... Seahawks could still sign Davis to league min. and let them compete for a spot with Travis Beckum and Cooper Helfet.

Imo, the smartest thing the Seahawks could do is stock-up on cheap TEs and move Luke Willson into a more H-Back WR role and get him to slim down to 235.

Could you imagine a 6'5, 235 pound WR with possible 4.4 speed and elite blocking ability who can also line-up in-line or in the backfield.

Without Harvin, Willson was by far Bevell's favorite new toy at times.

It would be interesting where they see his future at because Willson could be the big WR everyone wants to draft, and Miller isn't so expensive that we wouldn't be able to keep him or does he have that elite ability where his production couldn't be replaced by a cheaper player. Miller has been gold for much of his career but his 2013 performance was rather Silver medal especially considering he made 11 mil.