Byron Murphy

NoGain

Reaction score
Realistically speaking, Byron Murphy is one of the very few players who might still be available to us at #16 that I would be happy and content with. Potential difference maker. One of the top tackles I would also be satisfied with. If they like Penix and he's available and they take him, I think I'd be okay with that too. But that might be it. It's pretty much trade down in almost any other scenario.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If Murphy is on the board at 16 I think you HAVE to take him. No trade down. Potential? He may have the potential to be the next AD, and we can NOT allow someone else, especially someone else in our division, to get that while we pass over on the opportunity. AGAIN!

Chevy

Reaction score
I think there's actually a very good chance Murphy falls to them.

Especially if 5 QB's go within the first 15 picks. At least four OT's should come off as well.

Caleb
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Penix

Harrison
Nabers
Odunze
Bowers

Alt
Fuaga
Fuatanu
Latham/Fashanu/Mims

Turner
Mitchell/Arnold

I expect Latu to fall. But guys like Murphy & Verse should still be on the board at 16.

Good list, but I don't think the players in red will be drafted in the top-15. I think one of the QB's in yellow will fall out of the top-15.

Two teams desperate for a legit DT are Saints (pick #14) and the Broncos (pick #12). Both of whom are in need of a legit DT.

I do hope you are right with Murphy being there at #16,

NoGain

Reaction score
Seattle Times columnist Matt Calkins kind of summed up my feelings about the Hawks 2023 season and the 2024 draft in today's column:

"It was, quite possibly, the worst outcome the Seahawks could have had.

They were in playoff contention going into the last week, then missed the playoffs despite winning their final game, then were left sitting with the 16th pick in the draft. No celebration for a successful season, and no salivation for a top-tier prospect. "

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I think Newton is a good consolation prize but I don't know if the Hawks have the same interest in him. They have made things very known they love Byron Murphy.
I just think Murphy will go before #16. I am an Illini fan as well as a Bears. I watch most Illini games, and I promise you Newton will be a great 3-tech for somebody. I would gladly trade down from #9 to get him if Odunze is gone.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I just think Murphy will go before #16. I am an Illini fan as well as a Bears. I watch most Illini games, and I promise you Newton will be a great 3-tech for somebody. I would gladly trade down from #9 to get him if Odunze is gone.
I love Newton. I would not complain. I don't think he's the same twitched up athlete like Murphy but he's still one hell of a player that does pretty much everything that Murphy can do. Newton lived in the backfield much more often than Murphy did the last 2 seasons I believe. Tackles for loss is one thing I do think that translates to the NFL.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I love Newton. I would not complain. I don't think he's the same twitched up athlete like Murphy but he's still one hell of a player that does pretty much everything that Murphy can do. Newton lived in the backfield much more often than Murphy did the last 2 seasons I believe. Tackles for loss is one thing I do think that translates to the NFL.
Yes, Newton has better overall stats than Murphy. I’d love to have either of them.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
If Murphy is on the board at 16 I think you HAVE to take him. No trade down. Potential? He may have the potential to be the next AD, and we can NOT allow someone else, especially someone else in our division, to get that while we pass over on the opportunity. AGAIN!
I honestly don't see a ton of Donald with him. But I do see some of the same traits as Jalen Carter. He obviously doesn't have the off-field baggage that Carter carries around with him. But I think his motor is better than Carter's.

Murphy is explosive & is quick off the ball. He's also uniquely strong & twitchy for someone of his size. He understands leverage & how to use it to his advantage. He's one of my favorite guys in this draft to watch on film. Guys with his profile are harder to find. A disruptive interior defensive tackle. If he's still available at 16, it's an easy decision.

Last edited:

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I honestly don't see a ton of Donald with him. But I do see some of the same traits as Jalen Carter. He obviously doesn't have the off-field baggage that Carter carries around with him. But I think his motor is better than Carter's.

Murphy is explosive & is quick off the ball. He's also uniquely strong for someone of his size. He understands leverage & how to use it to his advantage. He's one of my favorite guys in this draft to watch on film. He's more than worth taking at that spot. Guys with his profile are harder to find.
I agree. But my guess is that Poles is more interested in a DE like Turner or Latu. Maybe the Seahawks are, too.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
I agree. But my guess is that Poles is more interested in a DE like Turner or Latu. Maybe the Seahawks are, too.
I still think Chicago will take Odunze if he falls to them at 9.

I expect teams to pass on Latu (medical). The consensus seems to be that Turner will end up in Atlanta.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I still think Chicago will take Odunze if he falls to them at 9.

I expect teams to pass on Latu (medical). The consensus seems to be that Turner will end up in Atlanta.
The teams that pass on Latu may live to regret it. The man is a sack machine. Odunze is my choice, too.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
Good list, but I don't think the players in red will be drafted in the top-15. I think one of the QB's in yellow will fall out of the top-15.

Two teams desperate for a legit DT are Saints (pick #14) and the Broncos (pick #12). Both of whom are in need of a legit DT.

I do hope you are right with Murphy being there at #16,

Latham is a lock to go in top 15. Some teams have him as their #1 OT.

Alt, Latham, Fautanu & Fuaga should all go.

The rumor is that the Saints plan on taking a Tackle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
The teams that pass on Latu may live to regret it. The man is a sack machine. Odunze is my choice, too.
Latu is my favorite player in the entire draft.

But apparently some teams have removed him from their board.

"Teams have Latu as high as 8 on their big boards, and others don't have him on their boards at all over medical concerns."

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
When debating Murphy and Newton visualize where the Hawks would play them if drafted, neither player is playing NT so DE in 3-4 I am not thrilled with either player I would much rather see a player who is 6’4-6 weighing 300-325 lbs their main job is to occupy blocks so LBs can make plays, watch Steeler game film from the 90s-mid 2000s to get an idea.

2 players I like are both from LSU. Jordan Jefferson and Masson Smith the one thing I don’t like about Smith is he was injured a fair amount in college

A player that intrigues me is Myles Cole from Texas Tech love his height and nearly 37” arms he is pretty raw but long and quick

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Seattle Times columnist Matt Calkins kind of summed up my feelings about the Hawks 2023 season and the 2024 draft in today's column:

"It was, quite possibly, the worst outcome the Seahawks could have had.

They were in playoff contention going into the last week, then missed the playoffs despite winning their final game, then were left sitting with the 16th pick in the draft. No celebration for a successful season, and no salivation for a top-tier prospect. "
That's why they call the middle of the round "purgatory", not good enough to make the playoffs, not bad enough to get a blue chip player.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
When debating Murphy and Newton visualize where the Hawks would play them if drafted, neither player is playing NT so DE in 3-4 I am not thrilled with either player I would much rather see a player who is 6’4-6 weighing 300-325 lbs their main job is to occupy blocks so LBs can make plays, watch Steeler game film from the 90s-mid 2000s to get an idea.

2 players I like are both from LSU. Jordan Jefferson and Masson Smith the one thing I don’t like about Smith is he was injured a fair amount in college

A player that intrigues me is Myles Cole from Texas Tech love his height and nearly 37” arms he is pretty raw but long and quick
But that's not exactly how the NFL is played now though. You play those huge guys then teams will counter with the pass game or runs to the outside. You need a variety of bodies because teams now play a different number of fronts depending on what the offense runs.

warden

Reaction score
I won’t be upset if we pick up Murphy

Last edited:

Chevy

Reaction score
Latham is a lock to go in top 15. Some teams have him as their #1 OT.

Alt, Latham, Fautanu & Fuaga should all go.

The rumor is that the Saints plan on taking a Tackle. The Colts will likely take CB (Mitchell/Arnold). Likely Mitchell.

Okay, we will see with the supposed locks. I don't know how you have knowledge of some teams rankings for prospects.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
Okay, we will see with the supposed locks. I don't know how you have knowledge of some teams' rankings for prospects.
Draft intel from a few reliable sources who cover the draft. Guys like Dane Brugler of The Athletic.

Word is 5 QB's are likely to go in the top half of the draft. Penix is being heavily linked to both Minnesota & Vegas.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Draft intel from a few reliable sources who cover the draft. Guys like Dane Brugler of The Athletic.

Word is 5 QB's are likely to go in the top half of the draft. Penix is being heavily linked to both Minnesota & Vegas.
I would take these reliable sources with a grain of salt they all rely on leaks from teams that are usually lies to throw off opposing teams. I have seen players who were getting a lot of talk initially than recently nobody talks about are the hot prospect Drake Maye is a prime example

I am expecting the top 3 QBs will go top 10 and 3 rd just barely in the top 10. QBs always get overvalued by mock drafters and media it happens almost every year. Last year Will Levis was thought to be a top 5 pick who fell into the 2nd rd