QB Drew Lock re-signed ( One-year deal)

Mick063

Reaction score
The staff has always liked Lock. I am thrilled with the move.

Let's focus on the front seven and the running game. DL, LB, OG, and a couple big bruiser, "move the chains" running backs to hedge the bet. Another Chris Carson clone would be ideal. I like DJ Dallas much more than most here, but I want him to be in a super tough competition to keep his roster spot. It is tough to keep the position healthy. Stock up the practice squad as well.

Last edited:

JerHawk81

Reaction score
Meh, non-rookie backups are signing for like 5-8m. But the fact that Raiders signed JG, Seahawks signed 2 QBs takes Arizona out of the drivers seat to trade out for more picks. Meaning if the Seahawks happen to have a QB fall into their lap they control the bidding war if they themselves decide to trade down.

You're right. I initially misread the terms as 7.5M + incentives, not $7.5M with incentives. Assuming his incentives are stretch incentives, his base of $4M is perfectly reasonable and just fine by me. I'll edit my original post.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
It's laughable that posters are still banging the drum for a QB at 5.

Did you ever stop to think that Pete & John have seen Lock, a former 1st round draft pick, for a full year & rate him better than all the QB's in this years draft & don't see any possibility of a Mahomes or Allen in the draft.

I could see them taking a project later in the draft & let him learn for a year.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
It's laughable that posters are still banging the drum for a QB at 5.

Did you ever stop to think that Pete & John have seen Lock, a former 1st round draft pick, for a full year & rate him better than all the QB's in this years draft & don't see any possibility of a Mahomes or Allen in the draft.

I could see them taking a project later in the draft & let him learn for a year.
Maybe. Or they aren't planning on their top choice being there at #5 and Lock is an insurance signing.

From a fan perspective, i don't think it's crazy to think Lock is no more than a backup in this league and believing there's talent at QB in this draft who could become impact starter.

There's a few QBs (young, stroud, richardson) that I still want to draft at #5 even after re-signing Geno, because the cap hit value is a such huge advantage to putting together a championship roster that i'm willing to make that gamble. Re-signing Lock doesn't change that in any way, to me.

Ultimately I have faith in Pete and John, because I don't know what they know.

Mase

Reaction score
-- Often think timing is everything with some of the signings. Right after Tampa Bay signs Mayfield, Lock agrees to come back to Seattle. Barely day three of legitimate free agency. I would think the interest was zero. However, I do agree this means nothing in regards to the draft. If a QB is there that they like, they will take him. Can you imagine the statement "we passed on a generational talent because we resigned Drew Lock for a one year."

Mase

Jville

Reaction score
-- Often think timing is everything with some of the signings. Right after Tampa Bay signs Mayfield, Lock agrees to come back to Seattle. Barely day three of legitimate free agency. I would think the interest was zero. However, I do agree this means nothing in regards to the draft. If a QB is there that they like, they will take him. Can you imagine the statement "we passed on a generational talent because we resigned Drew Lock for a one year."

Mase

Connecting the dots.

I like that!

Mick063

Reaction score
Generational talent at QB? This year? That is still there at pick 5?

rjdriver

Reaction score
Generational talent at QB? This year? That is still there at pick 5?
Unlikely, but a possibility. I hear rumors of Carolina's GM liking guys like Levis. I know it's doubtful but a possibility. Arizona takes Anderson. Assuming no trades, that leaves picks 2, 4, and 5 with Stroud, Young, and Richardson in the pool.

You or I may not see any of those three as a "generational talent", but if JS sees just one of them as such and he happens to be the guy not taken at 2 and 4, then maybe it's not the impossibility some believe.

I'm not saying that's what I want, I'm just not as incredulous as some.

Hawknight

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what Lock can do...just imagine if Geno, not Lock, got Covid before last season...wonder how it would it all have played out...I don't think Lock's had a fair chance as of yet. I can't judge him during his Denver days because they were transitioning between coaches. Pete and John see something in him and I'm anxious to see him play one day under different circumstances.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what Lock can do...just imagine if Geno, not Lock, got Covid before last season...wonder how it would it all have played out...I don't think Lock's had a fair chance as of yet. I can't judge him during his Denver days because they were transitioning between coaches. Pete and John see something in him and I'm anxious to see him play one day under different circumstances.
Geno outplayed him in camp, as well. Lock got dealt a raw deal with COVID, but he didn't do himself any favors playing horrible ball in the last preseason game. He would've had to actually decisively outplay Geno in camp and in the games, but he did neither unfortunately.

That said, I'm more than comfortable with him as a backup, and that's a good price for him.

Scout

Reaction score
Lock returning is a good sign. There is a chance the team still drafts a QB but the draft board is wide open by filling needs. I still anticipate that they will double dip at positions of weakness like they did last season. ILB is obviously going to be an area where we see double dip most likely as an example.