Byron Murphy

CactusJack

Reaction score
Matt Miller (ESPN) seems to have fairly reliable sources within the team. He was told last year at this time, that Witherspoon would likely be the pick for Seattle.

Byron Murphy is the name to watch for with them this year, according to Matt.

What we're hearing about the Seahawks' draft: The hiring of Mike MacDonald as coach shifted how we view the Seahawks' needs, but one constant has been at defensive tackle. The Seahawks re-signed Leonard Williams in free agency, but sources with the team reiterated to me this week that No. 16 is the floor for Texas defensive tackle Byron Murphy II. Murphy's first-step quickness and power are ideal in the 3-technique position and would boost the interior pass-rush skills of this defense. -- Miller

Last edited:

Seattle Person

Reaction score
The Seahawks met with Murphy during the Combine and had him visit. Double dipped with him. I can completely see it and I think I feel the same.

One of the few defensive players that can make a real impact in his first season.

Last edited:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
yeah, this kid would be a nice get. the Below is from NFL draft buzz

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 18. He wrote: "has been clocked at 18 MPH on the GPS, had a team-best 455-pound front squat, and power-cleaned 375 pounds. He could’ve gone heavier, but strength coach Torre Becton shut him down. Becton says Murphy could’ve gotten 500 on the front squat and 405 in the power clean."
  • Exhibits explosive first-step quickness and disrupts plays behind the line of scrimmage, proving to be a nightmare for offensive coordinators.
  • Utilizes exceptional leverage and core strength to anchor against the run and combat double teams, maintaining line integrity.
  • Agile and quick, capable of shooting gaps with precision, significantly disrupting both run and pass plays.
  • Displays a relentless motor and high-energy play, consistently battling through the whistle across every snap.
  • Effective hand technique allows him to shed blocks and navigate through traffic to apply pressure or make stops.
  • Demonstrates versatile defensive capabilities, effective in various schemes with the ability to impact the game across multiple fronts.
  • Has a sharp football IQ, quickly diagnosing plays and adjusting his approach to disrupt offensive schemes effectively.
  • Brings a blend of athleticism and technique to the field, offering potential for growth and refinement at the next level.
  • While his sack numbers aren't elite, his non-sack pressure numbers are. He also forces double teams allowing others to get his sacks.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Despite his disruptive presence, lacks the prototypical NFL size for an interior lineman, raising concerns about matchups against larger linemen.
  • Occasionally relies too heavily on athleticism, which could be mitigated with further technical refinement.
  • While effective against the run, could enhance power and consistency in leg drive during engagements.
  • Can improve precision in hand fighting to consistently defeat experienced blockers in the NFL.
  • Aggressiveness sometimes leads to over-penetration, necessitating more disciplined play recognition and tackle execution.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY​

Byron Murphy II emerges as a standout defensive tackle in this year's draft class, primarily due to his exceptional abilities as an interior pass rusher. His technique, explosiveness off the line, and ability to navigate through tight spaces draw a parallel to the elite level of play seen in NFL superstars like Aaron Donald. Murphy's knack for collapsing the pocket from the inside and creating havoc for quarterbacks and running backs alike sets him apart as a defensive prospect. His pass-rushing skills are not just effective; they're game-changing, allowing him to disrupt offensive schemes and force adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

Murphy's arsenal of moves, combined with his burst and hand usage, enables him to destroy the offensive line between the tackles with finesse and power reminiscent of the very best at his position. While comparisons to a talent like Aaron Donald set a high bar, Murphy's collegiate performance and skill set suggest he possesses the potential to become an outstanding pro. His ability to read the play, combined with unmatched agility for a man his size, makes him a constant threat in the backfield.

Looking ahead, Byron Murphy II is poised to make an immediate impact in the NFL. His transition from college to the pros will be watched closely by scouts and coaches alike, many of whom anticipate his quick adaptation to the faster pace and higher complexity of the NFL. As teams increasingly prioritize interior defensive linemen who can pressure the quarterback, Murphy's skill set becomes even more valuable. His growth potential, coupled with an already impressive foundation of skills, suggests that he could easily be considered one of the best defensive linemen in the draft.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Well, if they want Murphy, they're gonna have to stay put at #16. So I made a No-trade mock where they take him.

PFN Draft result 1712949309813
Edit: replaced Brandon Coleman with Rosengarten. I heard Greg Bell say they really like Rosengarten, and picture him at guard.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
I was too, but with the QB feeding frenzy I could see someone dropping to 16 that we cant pass up.
Yeah Penix being there will tear John into several directions.I say this because he was enamored with Wilson, Penix has the tools that Wilson had but is a better version, throws guys open, throws over the middle, has Moxie not a phony, guys rally around him, Wilson, Guys tolerated, oh and yes he can move if need be, but doesn't go to that as a way to play Hero ball.

So if he is there versus a splash DE or DT one wonders.

Last edited:

Chevy

Reaction score
I don't think Murphy will fall to us at #16. Verse and Latu may both be there at #16.

toffee

Reaction score
yeah, this kid would be a nice get. the Below is from NFL draft buzz

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS​

• Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 18. He wrote: "has been clocked at 18 MPH on the GPS, had a team-best 455-pound front squat, and power-cleaned 375 pounds. He could’ve gone heavier, but strength coach Torre Becton shut him down. Becton says Murphy could’ve gotten 500 on the front squat and 405 in the power clean."
  • Exhibits explosive first-step quickness and disrupts plays behind the line of scrimmage, proving to be a nightmare for offensive coordinators.
  • Utilizes exceptional leverage and core strength to anchor against the run and combat double teams, maintaining line integrity.
  • Agile and quick, capable of shooting gaps with precision, significantly disrupting both run and pass plays.
  • Displays a relentless motor and high-energy play, consistently battling through the whistle across every snap.
  • Effective hand technique allows him to shed blocks and navigate through traffic to apply pressure or make stops.
  • Demonstrates versatile defensive capabilities, effective in various schemes with the ability to impact the game across multiple fronts.
  • Has a sharp football IQ, quickly diagnosing plays and adjusting his approach to disrupt offensive schemes effectively.
  • Brings a blend of athleticism and technique to the field, offering potential for growth and refinement at the next level.
  • While his sack numbers aren't elite, his non-sack pressure numbers are. He also forces double teams allowing others to get his sacks.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• Despite his disruptive presence, lacks the prototypical NFL size for an interior lineman, raising concerns about matchups against larger linemen.
  • Occasionally relies too heavily on athleticism, which could be mitigated with further technical refinement.
  • While effective against the run, could enhance power and consistency in leg drive during engagements.
  • Can improve precision in hand fighting to consistently defeat experienced blockers in the NFL.
  • Aggressiveness sometimes leads to over-penetration, necessitating more disciplined play recognition and tackle execution.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY​

Byron Murphy II emerges as a standout defensive tackle in this year's draft class, primarily due to his exceptional abilities as an interior pass rusher. His technique, explosiveness off the line, and ability to navigate through tight spaces draw a parallel to the elite level of play seen in NFL superstars like Aaron Donald. Murphy's knack for collapsing the pocket from the inside and creating havoc for quarterbacks and running backs alike sets him apart as a defensive prospect. His pass-rushing skills are not just effective; they're game-changing, allowing him to disrupt offensive schemes and force adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

Murphy's arsenal of moves, combined with his burst and hand usage, enables him to destroy the offensive line between the tackles with finesse and power reminiscent of the very best at his position. While comparisons to a talent like Aaron Donald set a high bar, Murphy's collegiate performance and skill set suggest he possesses the potential to become an outstanding pro. His ability to read the play, combined with unmatched agility for a man his size, makes him a constant threat in the backfield.

Looking ahead, Byron Murphy II is poised to make an immediate impact in the NFL. His transition from college to the pros will be watched closely by scouts and coaches alike, many of whom anticipate his quick adaptation to the faster pace and higher complexity of the NFL. As teams increasingly prioritize interior defensive linemen who can pressure the quarterback, Murphy's skill set becomes even more valuable. His growth potential, coupled with an already impressive foundation of skills, suggests that he could easily be considered one of the best defensive linemen in the draft.

A taller, and more capable Poona Ford.

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
I don't think Murphy will fall to us at #16. Verse and Latu may both be there at #16.
I think there's actually a very good chance Murphy falls to them.

Especially if 5 QB's go within the first 15 picks. At least four OT's should come off as well.

Caleb
Daniels
Maye
McCarthy
Penix

Harrison
Nabers
Odunze
Bowers

Alt
Fuaga
Fuatanu
Latham/Fashanu/Mims

Turner
Mitchell/Arnold

I expect Latu to fall. But guys like Murphy & Verse should still be on the board at 16.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks met with Murphy during the Combine and had him visit. Double dipped with him. I can completely see it and I think I feel the same.

One of the few defensive players that can make a real impact in his first season.
If he is gone before #16, would you take another Illini, Johnny Newton — Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year?

OP
OP
CactusJack

CactusJack

Reaction score
If he is gone before #16, would you take another Illini, Johnny Newton — Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year?
I like Newton. But taking him at 16 is too rich for me. He'd be a trade back candidate.

CPHawk

Reaction score
It almost seems like we could get both him and Sweat in the 3. Which would really solidify our DL

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I think Newton is a good consolation prize but I don't know if the Hawks have the same interest in him. They have made things very known they love Byron Murphy.