Russell Wilson to Giants? - NBC Sports comentary

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
HansGruber":1kz4hsw1 said:
It would be a very high-risk move by Wilson. And no doubt about it, Wilson would have to be the one driving that trade.

If he went to NYG and that team wasn't immediately Superbowl material, it would ruin his career. You're talking about losing hundreds of millions on that bet.

Bad coaching? Injuries? Wouldn't matter. He'd be the next Kirk Cousins. Everyone would immediately say it was the Seattle defense that won that Superbowl and got us there. And Carroll will have a team in the playoffs with or without him. So that argument gets a lot of traction.

Wilson is a businessman. Smart enough to know he doesn't want to be the next Kirk Cousins. Yeah, dude got one big contract. But he'll never see Superbowl QB money again.

For what? So his wife can MAYBE earn $20-50m if she's somehow able to resurrect a singing career? Lol. Yeah ok.

Wilson needs the Seahawks as much as they need him. No way he leaves Seattle. I'd put a paycheck on it.
You're vastly overplaying the risk here. People around the nation already say it was Seattle's defense that won the Super Bowl. Wilson was an important cog in the wheel, but he played second fiddle to Marshawn and the defense during that run, at least according to the fans around the league. That isn't exactly wrong, but it isn't right either, it is a half truth. People often cite the drop in wins, and playoff success after the defense was slowly aging, and being dismantled as well.

Unfortunately, none of those criticisms will ever be answered underneath the Carroll regime. As I said in an earlier post, we're playing the offensive equivalent to the prevent defense. Carroll's main concern is minimizing the toxic differential above all else. He could care less about having a productive offense. Carroll's philosophy is the NFL equivalent of Mohommed Ali's rope a dope. Sitting on the rope, dodging punches until the other person has punched themselves out, and is struggling to catch their breath, then striking. Even in our hey-day rarely ever blew teams out, even clearly inferior teams. Really we only open up our playbook at the 11th hour. As a result, there are tight reigns put on the Quarterback and his agency in the game. Russ does not have the agency that most NFL QB's have.

This is why I could see Russell Wilson wanting to leave Seattle at some point, and trying to force some kind of trade. Wilson is the type of guy to take a gamble on himself, and he always has been.

Now as far as the Giants go, they actually are closer than you think to being competitive. They have one of the best running backs in the NFL, a decent offensive line, a very good WR corp in Sterling Sherpard and Beckham, and an above average TE in Evan Engram. A QB like Wilson could immediately jump start that team. Eli Manning is not really a QB that is capable of carrying a team these days. Defensively they need a lot of work, but that is exactly the type of team that could dispel any sort of negative notions about Russell Wilson. That offense is really just one piece away from being a real powerhouse in the NFL, the Quarterback.

Now, will any of this happen? I suspect not. I think both sides are just going to go with the status-quo. I think the biggest person we need to watch out for is Russell's agent. I could see him coming up with some crazy plan. In fact, that rumor may be directly from him. He's a big fan of "leaking" information to the media and creating false narratives to drive up Wilson's price. I would also be wary of this guys influence over Russ. Wilson seems to really trust this guys opinions. I could see him coming up with some crazy scheme to get him out of Seattle, or perhaps using that as a feint to drive up the price.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":2o8jq84e said:
Love me some Russ but i wouldn't be shocked at all if it were true, and if it is i have no problem trading him as long as we get a ton of draft capital.
That is my stance on this..
We are going to see him decline anyway in 2-3 yrs especially
in running which he already has some..
Might as well get it over with as his value isn't going to higher.
We aren't going to any SB;s getting hammmered by high
contracts and low amount of draft picks trying to patch
weaknesses from said cap..
I'm sorry but we have seen his best years..
The way the game is,it is so much easier to find decent
QB's..You don't need elite overpayed to win in a Hawk
system.
You need a good game manager at lower cost..
Don't try to say they cannot be found.
No guts..No glory...

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Dude, he's only 30!! You wont see a drop in his game for at least another 5 years. No Team is going to trade their future HOF QB in the the prime of his career. Franchise QB's don't grow on trees. HOF'ers are a once in generation. Trading them is beyond stupid.

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":35zpjwfx said:
Talk about FAKE NEWS, this is speculation that becomes a rumor? Some dude says, I think maybe xxx will happen and now it's a major fluff article that creates a lot of discussion, disagreement and concern - all this, over absolutely nothing
Taxes and costs of living have to factor in as well.
:smilingalien:
Seattle is not that far from NY price range both of them are expensive cities! I don't think the Wilson's don't have to worry bout money! I don't see it happening but if it if anything NY would raise both their public profile and bring them extra money and terms of endorsements and status in the entertainment world!

chris98251

Reaction score
New York Media would hate Wilson, he doesn't give them anything to eat and feed on.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Greenhell":3b8rh8tb said:
This also reminds me of the Carmelo Anthony situation with his wife LaLa. She didn't want to be in Denver so somehow managed to get him landed in New York with the Knicks thinking that her celebrity status would thrive.

Who's Lala again?

Kinda goes to show we all live in different worlds

Lala was not only on First Take a few months ago, she is a notable character on a relatively popular show(Power), and her social media profile plus her hanging out with the Kardashians more(New York, LA) speaks to that

Again this is all bullshit irrelevant stuff to many of us, especially sports fans. But in THAT world, the gossip tabloid instagram TMZ world, it does matter. So it did work for Lala and it would likely work for Ciara

Scorpion05

Reaction score
HansGruber":3jwbl1ox said:
It would be a very high-risk move by Wilson. And no doubt about it, Wilson would have to be the one driving that trade.

If he went to NYG and that team wasn't immediately Superbowl material, it would ruin his career. You're talking about losing hundreds of millions on that bet.

Bad coaching? Injuries? Wouldn't matter. He'd be the next Kirk Cousins. Everyone would immediately say it was the Seattle defense that won that Superbowl and got us there. And Carroll will have a team in the playoffs with or without him. So that argument gets a lot of traction.

Wilson is a businessman. Smart enough to know he doesn't want to be the next Kirk Cousins. Yeah, dude got one big contract. But he'll never see Superbowl QB money again.

For what? So his wife can MAYBE earn $20-50m if she's somehow able to resurrect a singing career? Lol. Yeah ok.

Wilson needs the Seahawks as much as they need him. No way he leaves Seattle. I'd put a paycheck on it.

High risk? Lol, really?

Wilson is already questioned by at least 25% of fans. Even those who like him. At least half of fans around the league, although they believe he's a really good QB, believe his SB runs came from Lynch and the defense. Not Wilson's read option, scrambling, and key throws. Not his deep ball accuracy. Nope, all defense and Lynch.

The idea that somehow, his career would be ruined is laughable. He'd replace Baldwin with OBJ. Lockett with Shepherd. Eric Dickson with Evan Engram. He'd replace Carson with Saquon Barkley. That's not exactly a downgrade.

He would also leave behind coordinators almost no one in the league has clamored for (Bevell, Cable, Schotty). He would have a higher profile. His bad games would be highlighted but his amazing plays/games even more so. Kirk Cousins? Lol, don't make me laugh. Cousins was never, ever, ever good.

Going to the Giants would elevate Wilson's career. A blue blood franchise, the Giants, would have packed stadiums and a QB who can air it out. The read option with Barkley would be deadly because teams still respect Wilson's legs. And are you sure our O-line is worlds better than the Giants? I'm not. Carroll without Wilson would be Nick Saban jr. A coach that succeeded in college but couldn't quite dominate the NFL. Carroll is a great coach, and him and Wilson are probably the closest you'll get to Brady and Belicheck in this day and age. But Carroll needs Wilson more. All great coaches need a Quarterback. Replace WIlson with QB in the draft and let's see how long Carroll keeps his job

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":1k1tbrtr said:
Thank god, speculation season is finally here.

C’mon now. Whose career is currently bigger? Wilson or Ciara? She’s not exactly knocking down the chart barriers. I don’t know one single person that could identify any of her songs. That’s all you need to know.
My Goodies, One Two Step.....I guess I am weird. :stirthepot:

knownone

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3vhlm3mi said:
Which begs the obvious question:

Which pathway has the best chance at giving this team another visit to the SuperBowl?

1 - Wilson without Carroll

2 - Carroll without Wilson

My own pick is #1. It gives us a higher ceiling but it also completely removes the floor.

With Carroll you at least know the team will never be 'bad'. That is actually important.

Regardless, I don't know how Carroll and his approach is going to work with Wilson, if Wilson wants to see better results from himself in the regular season or greater success for himself in the playoffs.
Eh, if Carroll wasn't 67 I would take Carroll without Wilson.

The only coach better than Pete at getting the most out of his players is Belichick. Give Pete a top 15 QB and he'll consistently get you to the playoffs.

In a scenario where we trade Wilson for draft picks, this team would essentially be entering the same window as the 2012 Seahawks. We'd have cap space to invest in the defense, a multitude of first rounders to bolster our depth, and potentially a rookie QB.

Imagine a scenario where we trade Wilson to the Giants. We use the Giants first-round pick on one of the big-name defensive players, Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, etc. Then we add a QB with our first round pick. Suddenly, we're looking at a team with it's 2 most important positions on cost control contracts for the next 4-5 years. And we've only spent one of the drafts picks from the haul we'd get for Wilson.

Obviously, I don't want to trade Wilson. But if we're talking about, what gives this team the best chance of getting to another Superbowl, I would take Pete Caroll in that scenario in a heartbeat over Wilson on a 35+m/year and some random offensive coach.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
knownone":ofskn9dq said:
TwistedHusky":ofskn9dq said:

Which pathway has the best chance at giving this team another visit to the SuperBowl?

My own pick is #1. It gives us a higher ceiling but it also completely removes the floor.

With Carroll you at least know the team will never be 'bad'. That is actually important.

Regardless, I don't know how Carroll and his approach is going to work with Wilson, if Wilson wants to see better results from himself in the regular season or greater success for himself in the playoffs.

The only coach better than Pete at getting the most out of his players is Belichick. Give Pete a top 15 QB and he'll consistently get you to the playoffs.

In a scenario where we trade Wilson for draft picks, this team would essentially be entering the same window as the 2012 Seahawks. We'd have cap space to invest in the defense, a multitude of first rounders to bolster our depth, and potentially a rookie QB.

Imagine a scenario where we trade Wilson to the Giants. We use the Giants first-round pick on one of the big-name defensive players, Nick Bosa, Josh Allen, etc. Then we add a QB with our first round pick. Suddenly, we're looking at a team with it's 2 most important positions on cost control contracts for the next 4-5 years. And we've only spent one of the drafts picks from the haul we'd get for Wilson.

Obviously, I don't want to trade Wilson. But if we're talking about, what gives this team the best chance of getting to another Superbowl, I would take Pete Caroll in that scenario in a heartbeat over Wilson on a 35+m/year and some random offensive coach.
Pete Carroll will never touch another Super Bowl again. I don't think he is a bad coach, but his philosophy has some major holes in it. Carroll likes playing a game of attrition. Pete wants to run the good ol' Mohammed Ali rope-a-dope strategy. Playing on the backfoot, dodging the punches until the other team tires themselves out, and then at the 11th hour striking while the other team is winded. This style of play makes it so games are always close. We generally always have a good defense, and our offense rarely turns the ball over. This results in the Seahawks hanging with talented teams, but also letting inferior teams stick around. We neither blow out, or get blown out.

The toxic differential is extremely important, but playing solely for not screwing up takes away all agency you have in the game. The Seahawks play a style of football that leaves little room for error, and are often times too slow to transition when need be.

2013 - 2014 was an oddity. Carroll will never repeat those two seasons. There are good reasons to think he won't. First off, Carroll had a leg up being in the college game. Many of the guys he drafted were players he had intimate knowledge of. He either recruited them in the past, or played against them on a regular basis. Carroll also had another advantage, he was an innovator. The conventional wisdom when Carroll came into the league, is that big corner backs were a liability in coverage. Their hips were too tight, they didn't have the agility to keep up with smaller receivers, etc. Carroll did think that way. In fact, he correctly assessed that wide receivers were getting taller, and bigger in frame. As a result he was able to grab guys like Richard Sherman, Browner, Maxwell, etc for pennies. Players that others thought could not play in the NFL at a high level, thus were ignored.

Carroll's second advantage is he knew how to take advantage of tweener pass rushers. Guys like Clemons were not highly regarded because of physical stature. He knew how to bring guys in such as Brock, Clemons, and he was able to identify players that were productive, but didn't fit the mold of your typical pass rusher in Bennett and Avril. As a result he got them for cheap. On defense, Carroll had an eye, and he had a place for players that were considered a-typical. Predictably this meant he took players that others relegated to the scrap heap, and found roles for them. He turned the undesirables into the desirable, there was no competition for these types of players. He had free reign to bring in his guys for practically nothing.

The final, and most important advantage that the Super Bowl 'Hawks team had was the price. Our team was made up of the broken toys bin. Most of our players were on their rookie contracts, and as a result the Seahawks were able to pick up some really good depth players. Carroll had amassed talent in such a short span of time, and created one of the best rosters of all time.

Unfortunately nothing gold can stay. With Carroll's success came copy cats. Coordinators were poached, and the same strategies that worked for us, now were turned against us by the league. The short QB started to get a second look, big corners came in vogue, tweener pass rushers now had their place. The niche the Seahawks created had been copied, and now became the norm. This means the player pool we had shrunk as everyone wanted these types of players now. The days of the cheap, bargain players were now gone. Also gone was Pete Carroll's collegiate connections. The advantages Pete once had, no longer exist in today's NFL.

How has Carroll adapted? He the answer is he hasn't. He still plays the same style of football, and he seems more preoccupied with winning 'his way' than winning the game some times. He surrounds himself with yes men, and keeps coordinators such as Bevell and Cable long after their expiration date. Carroll's football will lead to a team that never really has a losing season, but I think I'm pretty safe in saying, the golden era of Pete is over. It's going to be a business as usual from here on out. Expect 10-6 type of seasons with an early exit from the playoffs. That isn't the worst thing in the world, just ask the Browns.

That being said, it really is frustrating to watch Wilson's career be wasted. He's too good to keep on such a short leash.

Seymour

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":3qeykt99 said:
Uncle Si":3qeykt99 said:
None of this Tate shit is on topic. Pack it in.

That was like getting a piece of chalk chucked at you in class!

Don't look at me. I'm a product of a messed up society. My teachers abused me with wood ruler torture. :twisted: :lol: :stirthepot:

D

DomeHawk

Spin Doctor":3fux5pfc said:
knownone":3fux5pfc said:
TwistedHusky":3fux5pfc said:

Pete Carroll will never touch another Super Bowl again. I don't think he is a bad coach, but his philosophy has some major holes in it. Carroll likes playing a game of attrition. Pete wants to run the good ol' Mohammed Ali rope-a-dope strategy. Playing on the backfoot, dodging the punches until the other team tires themselves out, and then at the 11th hour striking while the other team is winded. This style of play makes it so games are always close. We generally always have a good defense, and our offense rarely turns the ball over. This results in the Seahawks hanging with talented teams, but also letting inferior teams stick around. We neither blow out, or get blown out.

The toxic differential is extremely important, but playing solely for not screwing up takes away all agency you have in the game. The Seahawks play a style of football that leaves little room for error, and are often times too slow to transition when need be.

2013 - 2014 was an oddity. Carroll will never repeat those two seasons. There are good reasons to think he won't. First off, Carroll had a leg up being in the college game. Many of the guys he drafted were players he had intimate knowledge of. He either recruited them in the past, or played against them on a regular basis. Carroll also had another advantage, he was an innovator. The conventional wisdom when Carroll came into the league, is that big corner backs were a liability in coverage. Their hips were too tight, they didn't have the agility to keep up with smaller receivers, etc. Carroll did think that way. In fact, he correctly assessed that wide receivers were getting taller, and bigger in frame. As a result he was able to grab guys like Richard Sherman, Browner, Maxwell, etc for pennies. Players that others thought could not play in the NFL at a high level, thus were ignored.

Carroll's second advantage is he knew how to take advantage of tweener pass rushers. Guys like Clemons were not highly regarded because of physical stature. He knew how to bring guys in such as Brock, Clemons, and he was able to identify players that were productive, but didn't fit the mold of your typical pass rusher in Bennett and Avril. As a result he got them for cheap. On defense, Carroll had an eye, and he had a place for players that were considered a-typical. Predictably this meant he took players that others relegated to the scrap heap, and found roles for them. He turned the undesirables into the desirable, there was no competition for these types of players. He had free reign to bring in his guys for practically nothing.

The final, and most important advantage that the Super Bowl 'Hawks team had was the price. Our team was made up of the broken toys bin. Most of our players were on their rookie contracts, and as a result the Seahawks were able to pick up some really good depth players. Carroll had amassed talent in such a short span of time, and created one of the best rosters of all time.

Unfortunately nothing gold can stay. With Carroll's success came copy cats. Coordinators were poached, and the same strategies that worked for us, now were turned against us by the league. The short QB started to get a second look, big corners came in vogue, tweener pass rushers now had their place. The niche the Seahawks created had been copied, and now became the norm. This means the player pool we had shrunk as everyone wanted these types of players now. The days of the cheap, bargain players were now gone. Also gone was Pete Carroll's collegiate connections. The advantages Pete once had, no longer exist in today's NFL.

How has Carroll adapted? He the answer is he hasn't. He still plays the same style of football, and he seems more preoccupied with winning 'his way' than winning the game some times. He surrounds himself with yes men, and keeps coordinators such as Bevell and Cable long after their expiration date. Carroll's football will lead to a team that never really has a losing season, but I think I'm pretty safe in saying, the golden era of Pete is over. It's going to be a business as usual from here on out. Expect 10-6 type of seasons with an early exit from the playoffs. That isn't the worst thing in the world, just ask the Browns.

That being said, it really is frustrating to watch Wilson's career be wasted. He's too good to keep on such a short leash.

With Carroll's success came copy cats. Yep, Denver copied it after getting waxed in 48 and won a SB with it only two years later.

How has Carroll adapted? He the answer is he hasn't. Agree and no, I won't be happy with 10-6 seasons. It's like kissing your sister.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1emdhqy0 said:
Uncle Si":1emdhqy0 said:

How can you have any pudding if you dont eat your meat?!?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1qgmotnz said:
Ace_Rimmer":1qgmotnz said:
Uncle Si":1qgmotnz said:

Nice...
I know you and I aren't the only Floyd fans here... right?

sdog1981

Reaction score
This is going to be a long three years. Wilson will not sign anything long term until the new CBA is inked in 2021. All of these topics should be locked and deleted until January 2021.

Seymour

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3uboz9mq said:
Uncle Si":3uboz9mq said:
Ace_Rimmer":3uboz9mq said:
Uncle Si":3uboz9mq said:

Nice...
I know you and I aren't the only Floyd fans here... right?

As far as I know it's just you 2 and several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and groovin' with a pict. ;)

beaumaris

Reaction score
HawkerD":318snljs said:
Cyrus12":318snljs said:
Wayne Gretzky had a celeb wife. She hated Edmonton and off to LA they went. Could happen for sure.
ever been to Edmonton? Stark difference between there and here. but you are still correct.
Hey! I'm an Edmontonian (45 years) and Boy would I love to be a Seattle resident. :2thumbs:
Can anyone even remember Gretzky's wife's name. :roll:

GeekHawk

Reaction score
beaumaris":3csch0n7 said:
Hey! I'm an Edmontonian (45 years) and Boy would I love to be a Seattle resident. :2thumbs:
Can anyone even remember Gretzky's wife's name. :roll:

Of course. It's Mrs Gretsky... :mrgreen:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2m8bn9cl said:
knownone":2m8bn9cl said:
TwistedHusky":2m8bn9cl said:

Bad results are not the same as bad process. The fact that Pete makes the playoffs every year is not a waste of Wilson - quite the contrary. Fans who think that make me shake my head. If you're waiting for nonstop Super Bowl streaks to crown him as a successful coach, well, I don't know what to tell you. That's not the yardstick and never was.

We're not going with a byzantine innovative pass-first approach. You get four or five of those teams into the same playoff conference, they immolate each other, and it ultimately comes down to who closes at the right time - who plays good defense and runs well at the right time. That's how the Patriots lost in 2017 and won in 2018.

And...Super Bowls are an oddity? Are you hearing yourself? Super Bowls are an incredibly difficult achievement and are not won by accident. You accurately listed Pete's advantages (college player familiarity, taking advantage of market movements) - why are these not valid ways to succeed in the NFL? I mean, if your assessment of NFL change is correct, it should still be a bull market for RB's because the run doesn't matter, so why SHOULD Pete change?