Russell Wilson to Giants? - NBC Sports comentary

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":136fecxq said:
DomeHawk":136fecxq said:
The NFL should institute a separate cap space for QB's that doesn't affect the rest of the roster.

Even the playing field.
I wast thinking the exact same thing! Qb prices r out of control but I would suspect the other positional players would not be happy. Then again there would b mo money for them too cuz u wouldn't have to factor in the qb part of the pie interesting thought to say the least.

Major League Soccer does this, they have a hard cap, but then allow three "Designated Player" roster spots that clubs can spend more money on those players.

But I imagine the owners would balk at this, because it means they have to spend 20-35M more, not less. Meaning the cap is what the cap is, but then they have to pay their QB ANOTHER 20-35M on top of that? Doubt any owner would go for that idea.

A-Dog

Reaction score
A-Dog":2n025mil said:
knownone":2n025mil said:
A-Dog":2n025mil said:
I like how we're now presuming that Russ is going to bank $40M a year when the current highest-paid QB, Aaron Rodgers, who clearly and objectively has better credentials than Russ, is only making $33.5.
It's more complicated than that. The Franchise tag in 2020 will pay him 30M, in 2021 it would pay him close to 36M, in 2022 he'd be looking at somewhere around 42M. So if Russ and his agent want the most money possible they are starting the negotiations at 36M, and likely asking for 38-42M. This has a lot to do with what he'd earn on the open market if he's not franchised in each successive season.

If it was as simple as giving him more than Rodgers, the deal would have been done already.
I don't see it that way.

If the Seahawks max out the Franchise tag, that means they can have Russ for the next four seasons for an average of ~$33M APY (including his $25M cap hit this year) with no long-term liability should Russ get a severe injury or have a big dip in productivity. Russ would end that fourth year at 35 years old.

If I'm the Seahawks and I want to pay the least money possible, I'm looking at that $33M APY as the ceiling on a 3-year extension. Sure, Russ could hold out to gain leverage a la Walter Jones, but that would undoubtedly hurt his performance on the field which will hurt his value (QB takes a lot more preparation than LT) and his legacy. The tag gives the Seahawks a big advantage.

If I'm Russ in that situation I'm willing to take a lot less than $42M APY in exchange for long-term stability and security. If I'm the Seahawks in that situation I'm willing to pay a bit more than the minimum in exchange for stability at QB and not having to worry about holdouts and the drama that comes with it.

Happy medium IMO would be ~$35M a year over 5 years (4-year extension) that would take them through the 2023 season, after which Russ would be 36 years old. He'd be the highest paid player in league history, at least for a little while.

NAILED IT