Russell Wilson to Giants? - NBC Sports comentary

D

DomeHawk

MontanaHawk05":1yyx9xmn said:
Bad results are not the same as bad process. The fact that Pete makes the playoffs every year is not a waste of Wilson - quite the contrary. Fans who think that make me shake my head. If you're waiting for nonstop Super Bowl streaks to crown him as a successful coach, well, I don't know what to tell you. That's not the yardstick and never was.

I can't speak for anyone else but I think you may be missing the point.

Obviously, no one is going to complain about making the playoffs every year but that isn't the point. It's the point that is all you are, i.e., a 10-6 team that can make the playoffs and that's as far as you can go. The feeling that you have built-in limitations.

Like I said, it's like kissing your sister.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out why the NY Giants would want to invest in a "franchise QB" that costs as much as RW would get and still NOT be in the same position that the Seahawks are with cap space. They also have many other "stars" to pay just like the Seahawks. If they can pay RW, why wouldn't the Seahawks? Their GM would be betting his job on a decision like that AND his future team would be significantly impacted with the lack of cap space.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":ym7tj18j said:
I'm still trying to figure out why the NY Giants would want to invest in a "franchise QB" that costs as much as RW would get and still NOT be in the same position that the Seahawks are with cap space. They also have many other "stars" to pay just like the Seahawks. If they can pay RW, why wouldn't the Seahawks? Their GM would be betting his job on a decision like that AND his future team would be significantly impacted with the lack of cap space.

I think this is more about the Russell Wilson and Ciara wanting to go to New York rumor, rather than whether it makes sense for the Giants or not.

But sure, you could say this about 28-30 of the 32 NFL teams, that they'd rather have Russell over their QB, so it's not a story at all.

Wow, you'd rather have Russell Wilson over Eli Manning.............. REALLY!?? STOP THE PRESSES!!! BIG NEWS!!

knownone

Reaction score
a
DomeHawk":1w81ziw5 said:
MontanaHawk05":1w81ziw5 said:
Bad results are not the same as bad process. The fact that Pete makes the playoffs every year is not a waste of Wilson - quite the contrary. Fans who think that make me shake my head. If you're waiting for nonstop Super Bowl streaks to crown him as a successful coach, well, I don't know what to tell you. That's not the yardstick and never was.

Obviously, no one is going to complain about making the playoffs every year but that isn't the point. It's the point that is all you are, i.e., a 10-6 team that can make the playoffs and that's as far as you can go. The feeling that you have built-in limitations.

I don't understand this logic at all, lol. It's entirely based on assumptions and nothing concrete.

Pete has proven he can both make and win a Superbowl. The team currently does not have the same level of talent as the elite teams in the NFC, and we still made the playoffs. That is a far cry from being a middle of the road team that has no real shot of making a Superbowl every season but still manages to squeak into the playoffs.

It also raises the question, who would rather have instead of Pete? Just about every coach in the league will fall into your 'kissing your sister' definition of team success.

The top coaches since Pete entered the League in 2010, Belichick, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll, Mike Mccarthy, Andy Reid, Sean Payton.

Pete Carroll - 9.9 wins/season
Sean Payton - 9.8 wins/season
Mike Tomlin - 10.4 wins/season
Mike Mccarthy - 9.6 wins/season
Andy Reid - 9.8 wins/season
Bill Belichick - 10.9 wins/season

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2bpg9p59 said:
MontanaHawk05":2bpg9p59 said:

Well, not everyone believes in that hard-and-fast line. The #4 and #6 seed have each won the Super Bowl as often as the #1 seed during this century so far. The Chargers and Chiefs LOOKED without limitations all year. Look what happened to them. Nobody's ever sure about the Patriots defense going into the postseason. Guess what.

Our "feelings" on a team don't necessarily reflect reality. I'd agree that teams like the 2018 Seahawks (and probably the 2017 Seahawks) weren't likely to make it far into the playoffs. But I would not constitute their playoff participation to be a dismissable accomplishment on Pete's part because there's been too much of a record of lower-seeded teams winning it all.

So...you make the playoffs. That's success for an NFL coach, because no team not named the Patriots is ever going to consistently do more. While we're sitting here complaining that Wilson's years are being wasted, Saints fans are saying the same about Drew Brees, Packers fans are saying the same about Aaron Rodgers, and Colts/Broncos fans were constantly saying the same about Peyton Manning. At the same time, every year. Were those coaches really unsuccessful? I doubt it.

They couldn't all win at the same time. Not winning the SB every year isn't the same as being wasted. We just have a nice, obvious-seeming culprit in the form of run-first offense.

Boycie

Reaction score
beaumaris":18nnagn2 said:
HawkerD":18nnagn2 said:
Cyrus12":18nnagn2 said:
Wayne Gretzky had a celeb wife. She hated Edmonton and off to LA they went. Could happen for sure.
ever been to Edmonton? Stark difference between there and here. but you are still correct.
Hey! I'm an Edmontonian (45 years) and Boy would I love to be a Seattle resident. :2thumbs:
Can anyone even remember Gretzky's wife's name. :roll:

Janet!

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2w1c1atv said:
CamanoIslandJQ":2w1c1atv said:

I think this is more about the Russell Wilson and Ciara wanting to go to New York rumor, rather than whether it makes sense for the Giants or not.

But sure, you could say this about 28-30 of the 32 NFL teams, that they'd rather have Russell over their QB, so it's not a story at all.

Wow, you'd rather have Russell Wilson over Eli Manning.............. REALLY!?? STOP THE PRESSES!!! BIG NEWS!!

Exactly! This is not a Russell Wilson or Giants thing. This is a "ho hum another Patriots SB win what else is there to talk about?" thing. :snack:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1bpz4od7 said:
Sgt. Largent":1bpz4od7 said:
CamanoIslandJQ":1bpz4od7 said:

Exactly! This is not a Russell Wilson or Giants thing. This is a "ho hum another Patriots SB win what else is there to talk about?" thing. :snack:

Let's just trade Ciara, we could probably get a 7th rounder for her........and Russell's already a Yankee, that's gotta be worth something.

She's past her prime, but she can still get off the line of scrimmage and get after the QB.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vt8czkl said:
Seymour":2vt8czkl said:
Sgt. Largent":2vt8czkl said:
CamanoIslandJQ":2vt8czkl said:

Let's just trade Ciara, we could probably get a 7th rounder for her........and Russell's already a Yankee, that's gotta be worth something.

She's past her prime, but she can still get off the line of scrimmage and get after the QB.

Hey!! I tried to invite Tate over but Si dented my forehead with chalk!! :lol: :lol: :2thumbs:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ejb44np said:
Seymour":2ejb44np said:
Sgt. Largent":2ejb44np said:
CamanoIslandJQ":2ejb44np said:

Insert "sack" jokes.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
knownone":202zojhh said:
a
DomeHawk":202zojhh said:
MontanaHawk05":202zojhh said:

I don't understand this logic at all, lol. It's entirely based on assumptions and nothing concrete.

Pete has proven he can both make and win a Superbowl. The team currently does not have the same level of talent as the elite teams in the NFC, and we still made the playoffs. That is a far cry from being a middle of the road team that has no real shot of making a Superbowl every season but still manages to squeak into the playoffs.

It also raises the question, who would rather have instead of Pete? Just about every coach in the league will fall into your 'kissing your sister' definition of team success.

The top coaches since Pete entered the League in 2010, Belichick, Mike Tomlin, Pete Carroll, Mike Mccarthy, Andy Reid, Sean Payton.

Pete Carroll - 9.9 wins/season
Sean Payton - 9.8 wins/season
Mike Tomlin - 10.4 wins/season
Mike Mccarthy - 9.6 wins/season
Andy Reid - 9.8 wins/season
Bill Belichick - 10.9 wins/season
Some people will never get it. With those kind of results, I'd be thinking about a little more than kissing her. Hell, I'm buying her a ring.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":32lxopas said:
beaumaris":32lxopas said:
HawkerD":32lxopas said:
Cyrus12":32lxopas said:
Wayne Gretzky had a celeb wife. She hated Edmonton and off to LA they went. Could happen for sure.
ever been to Edmonton? Stark difference between there and here. but you are still correct.
Hey! I'm an Edmontonian (45 years) and Boy would I love to be a Seattle resident. :2thumbs:

Janet!

Janet Jones, no less...

She was quite fetching in the 80s

THE TABS

Reaction score
My demands are as follows...

...1st, 2nd, and 3rd this year AND 2020.

a 3rd in ‘21, a 2nd in ‘22, and a 1st in ‘23.

Thats 9 picks for Russ, and I STILL would have to think long and hard about it. Franchise qbs do not grow on trees, and it took us 35 years to finally find one.

Basically it would have to be a Herschel type of trade for me to even consider it. If we used that 1st this year to take Kyler Murray, then MAYBE I’d be on board.

This is, of course, a moot conversation. Russ isn’t going anywhere. JS is the RW fan club president after all. :lol:

Boycie

Reaction score
Uncle Si":14k1zvcy said:
Ace_Rimmer":14k1zvcy said:
beaumaris":14k1zvcy said:
HawkerD":14k1zvcy said:

Janet!

Janet Jones, no less...

Yes she was.

The perks of being a pro athlete, because no way Wayner was bagging that if he was a JAG.

It's like when someone asked footballer Peter Crouch what he would be if he wasn't a footballer, and he replied "a virgin."

Seymour

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":px807sc0 said:
Uncle Si":px807sc0 said:
Ace_Rimmer":px807sc0 said:
beaumaris":px807sc0 said:

Janet!

Janet Jones, no less...

Yes she was.

The perks of being a pro athlete, because no way Wayner was bagging that if he was a JAG.

It's like when someone asked footballer Peter Crouch what he would be if he wasn't a footballer, and he replied "a virgin."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1100809353567846400[/tweet]

HansGruber

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2uwgq95o said:
High risk? Lol, really?

Wilson is already questioned by at least 25% of fans. Even those who like him. At least half of fans around the league, although they believe he's a really good QB, believe his SB runs came from Lynch and the defense. Not Wilson's read option, scrambling, and key throws. Not his deep ball accuracy. Nope, all defense and Lynch.

The idea that somehow, his career would be ruined is laughable. He'd replace Baldwin with OBJ. Lockett with Shepherd. Eric Dickson with Evan Engram. He'd replace Carson with Saquon Barkley. That's not exactly a downgrade.

He would also leave behind coordinators almost no one in the league has clamored for (Bevell, Cable, Schotty). He would have a higher profile. His bad games would be highlighted but his amazing plays/games even more so. Kirk Cousins? Lol, don't make me laugh. Cousins was never, ever, ever good.

Going to the Giants would elevate Wilson's career. A blue blood franchise, the Giants, would have packed stadiums and a QB who can air it out. The read option with Barkley would be deadly because teams still respect Wilson's legs. And are you sure our O-line is worlds better than the Giants? I'm not. Carroll without Wilson would be Nick Saban jr. A coach that succeeded in college but couldn't quite dominate the NFL. Carroll is a great coach, and him and Wilson are probably the closest you'll get to Brady and Belicheck in this day and age. But Carroll needs Wilson more. All great coaches need a Quarterback. Replace WIlson with QB in the draft and let's see how long Carroll keeps his job

Fan opinions mean nothing when it comes to contracts. All of the factors you mentioned mean nothing to NFL GMs when they evaluate Wilson's performance in the future.

If the Giants were not immediately elevated to Superbowl contention, Wilson's contract would be seen as a huge mistake. It would cost Wilson at least $100m on future contract(s), and likely much more. It would wipe out 25-50% of his career earning potential.

Which is why I used the Cousins example. The infighting between DeFiippo and Zimmer was probably the biggest factor in the Vikes failure last season. Yet the prevailing "wisdom" is still that the Vikes were foolish to give Cousins an $84m deal, and it is very unlikely (without a Vikings Superbowl run) that he will see that much money again. That situation has likely cost him upwards of $100m in future contract value. It was a huge career risk for Cousins and it failed.

Wilson has a good thing going in Seattle. He's in a system that he knows, where he has enjoyed success, and has stated publicly that he believes they are on the verge of another Superbowl run. And the team clearly wants to keep him and is willing to pay him.

Why leave that to join a dysfunctional team that has near-zero chance of even winning their own division, with a franchise QB already on the roster in a really nasty publicly awkward situation, with known coaching and locker room issues, and where the media would be hounding him constantly?

The NYG aren't going to pay Wilson more than Seattle would. So all he'd be doing is exposing himself to a massive amount of risk, with no real reward. No smart businessman would ever do that. Why take a huge stupid risk for no reward?

All so his wife could pursue a mediocre singing career that has already peaked and declined, and was never worth $100m to begin with? Yeah, ok.

Might be the dumbest thing I've heard from Cowherd in a long time, and that's really saying something.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
HansGruber":24ckga4z said:
Which is why I used the Cousins example. The infighting between DeFiippo and Zimmer was probably the biggest factor in the Vikes failure last season. Yet the prevailing "wisdom" is still that the Vikes were foolish to give Cousins an $84m deal, and it is very unlikely (without a Vikings Superbowl run) that he will see that much money again. That situation has likely cost him upwards of $100m in future contract value. It was a huge career risk for Cousins and it failed.
When the Vikings came to Seattle last year, Cousins didn't look like an $84 QB, much less an $84 Million QB. He was a deer in the headlights the entire night. Absolutely awful.

I am sure part of it was infighting between DeFiippo and Zimmer, but a significant portion of it was Cousins just being terrible.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Seymour":3lpk3r0w said:
Russ Willstrong":3lpk3r0w said:
Uncle Si":3lpk3r0w said:
Ace_Rimmer":3lpk3r0w said:
That was like getting a piece of chalk chucked at you in class!

How can you have any pudding if you dont eat your meat?!?
Nice...
I know you and I aren't the only Floyd fans here... right?

As far as I know it's just you 2 and several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and groovin' with a pict. ;)

None of this Pink Floyd shit is on topic. Pack it in.