Rumor.. Hawks interested in trading for Brandon Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

swagcity21

Reaction score
OOORRRRRRR...... We spend our money else where on the team and continue to develop the talent we have I.E. Chris Matthews, Kevin Norwood.

We've proven to win on the offensive side of the ball without that elite WR. Unless we draft one(Kelvin Benjamin) or pick one up on the FA market I don't see why this FO would trade for anyone.

Unless anyone thinks were going to switch in one off season from a power running team to a vertical team on the whim that Beast mode retires I don't see why we get rid of draft picks and available cap space for a questionable player for only a year or two. Doesn't sound like our type of FO move.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
swagcity21":gb1u8p9x said:
OOORRRRRRR...... We spend our money else where on the team and continue to develop the talent we have I.E. Chris Matthews, Kevin Norwood.

We've proven to win on the offensive side of the ball without that elite WR. Unless we draft one(Kelvin Benjamin) or pick one up on the FA market I don't see why this FO would trade for anyone.

Unless anyone thinks were going to switch in one off season from a power running team to a vertical team on the whim that Beast mode retires I don't see why we get rid of draft picks and available cap space for a questionable player for only a year or two. Doesn't sound like our type of FO move.
At the same time our offense has remained stagnate, only functioning due to the efforts of Lynch, and the improvisational abilities of Wilson. These two players, and the dynamic they bring to the football field are the only reason the Seahawks are able to move the ball.

What are we going to do after Lynch? What are we going to do once Wilson's contract makes it so we cannot have the same depth on defense that we used to? The Seahawks desperately need a good wide receiver. Even just the presence of Golden Tate and Sidney Rice opened up our other receivers. You don't give your QB a 100 million dollar contract and decide to surround him with mediocre talent.

swagcity21

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":30oiliww said:
swagcity21":30oiliww said:

At the same time our offense has remained stagnate, only functioning due to the efforts of Lynch, and the improvisational abilities of Wilson. These two players, and the dynamic they bring to the football field are the only reason the Seahawks are able to move the ball.

What are we going to do after Lynch? What are we going to do once Wilson's contract makes it so we cannot have the same depth on defense that we used to? The Seahawks desperately need a good wide receiver. Even just the presence of Golden Tate and Sidney Rice opened up our other receivers. You don't give your QB a 100 million dollar contract and decide to surround him with mediocre talent.

I agree with many of your points. but I also believe that the majority of our success is on the defensive side of the ball. I think part of what makes Russell so special is his ability to elevate the players around him. We don't need that splashy name out there at the X spot to be great. Lynch is a once in a lifetime running back, at least in my eyes. So replacing will be impossible. But replacing him with another Back who can produce a 1,000 yard season is not out of the question.

Russell will always command another defender in the box just based off his improvisational skills. Still leaving many times 1 on 1's on the outside.

Its hard to commit a bunch of money to a player who will only catch 60 passes a year. Finding talent in the draft or above average talent looking for a ring will most likely be our WR corp for the future.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
So if Marshawn does not come back and we get Marshall...any chance that this is motivated by Russell? That we are agreeing to move towards a more pass-oriented offense to keep him happy (much like Tom Brady and the Pats)?

I mean he's a great team player but he has goals and dreams like all QBs. Winning multiple Super Bowls is obviously one of them. But you cannot tell me that any QB dreams of being in a run first offense where his role is diminished and derided as nothing more than a "game manager".

He's a humble kid, but the "game manager" title's gotta hurt him.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
swagcity21":22nrjefi said:

Other than the fact that the FO/coaching staff have been searching for a WR like Marshall since it got here. And now that he's available again, they won't hesitate to ask about a price.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Is Marshall, at his age, the receiver that we need? Four years ago, sure, but right now I'll pass.

WilsonsArmy

Reaction score
Great player but I don't think we need another volatile personally. We can be just fine without a outside the numbers guy plus that's not Wilson's strong suit.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Pre-Percy I'd have banked on it. Now we have to be careful, and in no way am I saying he's Percy 2.0 but he strikes me as a me-first guy. Still think he's got plenty to offer, but I'd much rather Fitz or Jackson.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
WilsonsArmy":27qiefzl said:
Great player but I don't think we need another volatile personally. We can be just fine without a outside the numbers guy plus that's not Wilson's strong suit.

Actually, Wilson's better outside the numbers than inside. But that's okay. I wouldn't expect a Pats fan masquerading as a Hawks fan to know that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Why would we trade picks for Marshall when we can just wait for the Bears to cut him, which they're going to do if they can't work out a trade with somebody.

Marshall's big dead cap hit was 2014, and is only like 5M in 2015. So all signs point to him being cut.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3fa796vj said:
Why would we trade picks for Marshall when we can just wait for the Bears to cut him, which they're going to do if they can't work out a trade with somebody.

Marshall's big dead cap hit was 2014, and is only like 5M in 2015. So all signs point to him being cut.

A trade guarantees you have him under contract (no free agent visit where you try to convince them to sign with you) and you don't get in a bidding war with other teams. You already know what their contract is, so you can work that into your budget and negotiate down from there. If you want the player, sometimes a trade is the cheaper and easier route.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
My biggest concern would be his ability to actually focus on football while fooling around with his gig on the TV show. It didn't work so well last year.

NINEster

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":3mkj05rx said:
Trading for a former high end WR just past his prime.

I like that idea!! Because, you know, it's worked SO well for us in the past!

Well, you're still waiting for your high end WR. Harvin was never a game changing WR, he was just a threat in space.

Victor Cruz often gets accused of just being a slot WR and he has done more in one season than Harvin has/will do over his entire career at the WR position.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkFan72":6dapawrc said:
Sgt. Largent":6dapawrc said:

A trade guarantees you have him under contract (no free agent visit where you try to convince them to sign with you) and you don't get in a bidding war with other teams. You already know what their contract is, so you can work that into your budget and negotiate down from there. If you want the player, sometimes a trade is the cheaper and easier route.

No thanks. Marshall is not worth 10M a year for three more years.............AND the loss of draft pick(s).

Is he worth going after if he's cut? Absolutely, cause you could get him for less money, less years and no picks.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I love Brandon Marshall and really hope we get him . He is a team player to the fullest and represents everything we see in our Seahawks .

Its gonna happen. :thirishdrinkers:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seahawkwalt1967":ej7njz0a said:
3 yr 30million extension 5/14
He'd hv to restructure
Hope he's a team player... Always felt he had a bad attitude

He has really matured, especially this year. Watching him on Inside the NFL you could see how much he has changed since he was diagnosed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":2k5x6108 said:
Seahawkwalt1967":2k5x6108 said:
He'd hv to restructure

He has really matured, especially this year. Watching him on Inside the NFL you could see how much he has changed since he was diagnosed.

Calling out a bunch of your teammates in the press, especially your QB isn't mature.

http://deadspin.com/report-brandon-mars ... 648357159#

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1p41zpue said:
ivotuk":1p41zpue said:
Seahawkwalt1967":1p41zpue said:
He'd hv to restructure

Calling out a bunch of your teammates in the press, especially your QB isn't mature.

http://deadspin.com/report-brandon-mars ... 648357159#

You do realize that the link you put in there doesn't show what you suggest it shows, right?

In that link, it mentions how Marshall's outburst on his teammates was behind closed doors, and anything published from that was just what was overheard by the media through the locker room doors. And it didn't sound from the reported stuff like he was tearing guys down; it sounds more like he was trying to motivate them and get some fire in them.

Then, when he actually did talk to the press, he said they had great guys on offense and that it was unacceptable that "we" had put up 14 points. I don't see any way that what he actually said to the press would be considered immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.