Rumor.. Hawks interested in trading for Brandon Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Vincent Jackson is rumored to be close to restructuring his deal to stay in Tampa.

If the Seahawks want a big veteran WR.. their options are dwindling by the day. A trade for Marshall may be a necessity at this point

CHawK247

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":mngmh5l2 said:
Im almost off the Suh wagon and just fine having the Seahawks going after 2 of Nick Fairley, Stephen Paea, Henry Melton, or Jared Odrick. Likely cutting just one of McDaniel or Mebane.

But with Fitz staying in red and white. Now I want B-Marsh even more.

His salaries arent that much to take on considering the cost of Kearse is 2.5-3. Cutting Zach Miller saves 2.4m thats already 5m of that 7.9 cap figure.

In reality Seahawks can work around that figure if Marshall plays hardball and then they can try restructure his contract next year where he doesnt have a single bill of guaranted money.

Im just imagining right now:

6-4, 230 Brandon Marshall at Flanker
6-6, 220 Dorial Beckham-Green at Split-End
Little ADB in the slot.

With Clive Walford or Ben Koyack competing with Luke Willson at TE.

Am I the only one who wants Chris Matthews to work out? Im all for getting B-Marsh in here, but Marsh & Matthews on the outside and ADB/Kearse working the Mid ha good luck.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":37v0lb77 said:
Vincent Jackson is rumored to be close to restructuring his deal to stay in Tampa.

If the Seahawks want a big veteran WR.. their options are dwindling by the day. A trade for Marshall may be a necessity at this point

Struggling to think of too many reasons for Jackson staying in Tampa. He's not winning anything there, they have a legit QB in Glennon and don't realise it, he'll get good money playing for a contender and I don't think he has any children to think about. He's 32 years old now, this will be his last deal, if he has any hope of winning a ring, or at least experiencing a post-season again it ain't happening in Tampa.

At this point, I'd probably still give up a fourth to get him on the team. He maybe 32 now, but he's a better athlete than Marshall and even though he's not the same guy who had the freakiest workout numbers I've ever seen, he's got plenty to offer.

For anyone who never saw his results:

At 6,5 241lbs he ran the 40 yard dash in 4.46 seconds, had a 4.00 short shuttle, 1.57 10 yard split, 6.84 3-cone and a 39" vertical with 23 reps of 225lbs.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3cyvx1kg said:

Could be the Bucs trying to drive up his trade value. "Give us something we can't refuse or he's staying"

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1vgwes80 said:
At this point, I'd probably still give up a fourth to get him on the team. He maybe 32 now, but he's a better athlete than Marshall and even though he's not the same guy who had the freakiest workout numbers I've ever seen, he's got plenty to offer.

Tampa Bay has plenty of cap space, why wouldn't they want to keep a 70-80 catch a year dependable receiver?..........and why wouldn't Jackson want to stay if he can get another year or two at 10-11M per year?

Would you want the Hawks to trade a guy like Jackson for a 4th round pick?

Hyak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3822fblf said:
SomersetHawk":3822fblf said:

Tampa Bay has plenty of cap space, why wouldn't they want to keep a 70-80 catch a year dependable receiver?..........and why wouldn't Jackson want to stay if he can get another year or two at 10-11M per year?

Add in that they are likely picking a QB at #1 and surrounding him with weapons makes sense. I'll be really surprised if they cut Jackson.

I would agree, however, that I would rather have VJ than BM if both were available.

McGruff

Reaction score
CHawK247":28ic53ya said:
Am I the only one who wants Chris Matthews to work out? Im all for getting B-Marsh in here, but Marsh & Matthews on the outside and ADB/Kearse working the Mid ha good luck.

Of course everyone wants Matthews to build on his SB performance and "work out" but its not something you can count on.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xn34ghj said:
SomersetHawk":2xn34ghj said:

Add in the fact that I just can't see a guy like Jackson or Marshallactually WANTING to play for us and get 4 targets a game.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":z1rde84w said:
SomersetHawk":z1rde84w said:

They've said they want to keep him now and they probably should, but they were supposedly willing to offload him for the right price last season and they owe him $24.5m over the next two seasons so who knows. They have a lot of positions to fix, they might want to spend big in FA and Jackson's certainly expendable if it came to it.

What I'm saying is if they want to restructure then I can't think of too many reasons for Jackson to stay.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2h5fxx14 said:
Sgt. Largent":2h5fxx14 said:
SomersetHawk":2h5fxx14 said:

Add in the fact that I just can't see a guy like Jackson or Marshallactually WANTING to play for us and get 4 targets a game.

Chris Matthews had himself 4 targets in something like 16 snaps, putting up over 100 yards and a TD. Not hard to think bigger guys like Jackson and Marshall might have looked at that performance and thought 'I could do that'. Both are undoubtedly superior to Matthews too, and would receive more than 16 snaps.

I sound like a broken record but I don't think the Super Bowl did us any harm of appealing to bigger guys, or at least it should make them think twice about Seattle as a viable destination.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2e3glrr5 said:
Chris Matthews had himself 4 targets in something like 16 snaps, putting up over 100 yards and a TD. Not hard to think bigger guys like Jackson and Marshall might have looked at that performance and thought 'I could do that'. Both are undoubtedly superior to Matthews too, and would receive more than 16 snaps.

I sound like a broken record but I don't think the Super Bowl did us any harm of appealing to bigger guys, or at least it should make them think twice about Seattle as a viable destination.

Plus, Browner asked to cover Matthews when he saw how good he was doing and shut him down the rest of the game. A guy like Marshall or Jackson would be able to hold their own against Browner. Matthews might if he gets more experience, but in the Super Bowl he was only making plays because of the size mismatch he was up against. Once the mismatch was gone, he disappeared. D-Coordinators will find ways to shut him down next year since he wouldn't catch them by surprise. Our Offense needs a big veteran that can adjust to any coverage.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":20n0vvzs said:
What I'm saying is if they want to restructure then I can't think of too many reasons for Jackson to stay.

He's under contract for two more years, it's not really his call unless he wants to hold out and demand a trade. At which time the Bucs will let him hold out and let Jackson watch his bank account dry up.

My guess is you're right, he'd rather be on a contender. But with two more years it's in his best interest at his age to get another year or two of guaranteed cash.......rather than risk injury in 2015 hoping he makes it until next off season where he has more leverage.

Kinda where we were with Lynch last year when he threatened to retire or hold out. Hard for a player to win that battle with multiple years left on a deal.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2hwsfk8g said:
SomersetHawk":2hwsfk8g said:

Plus, Browner asked to cover Matthews when he saw how good he was doing and shut him down the rest of the game. A guy like Marshall or Jackson would be able to hold their own against Browner. Matthews might if he gets more experience, but in the Super Bowl he was only making plays because of the size mismatch he was up against. Once the mismatch was gone, he disappeared. D-Coordinators will find ways to shut him down next year since he wouldn't catch them by surprise. Our Offense needs a big veteran that can adjust to any coverage.
Matthews did have a catch against Browner

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1oq9vx41 said:
SomersetHawk":1oq9vx41 said:

I keep hearing that Browner shut him down, but considering how few snaps Matthews saw and that some of them were running plays, plus he caught one on a hitch vs Browner IIRC, it's hard to make a case for him being 'shut down'.

I agree with you that a pass catcher who can consistently pose mismatches should be our #1 target though, and would take this team to the next level. Matthews did some promising things but he's not the athlete or caliber of player of a Marshall or Jackson, and never will be.

hawksurething

Reaction score
Dez is in trouble again ! This is why I want Marshall over dez. Dez still has a few more years of growing up to do. Marshall has learned to keep off field issues away from him.

Either marsh or vjackson or dthomas and lynch wont have to run vs 8 man fronts. the hawks will be unstoppable

hawksurething

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... hall-trade

WOW both AJ & Marshall is avalible like I said they would be. Both can be had for just 7.5 mill & 10 mill this year, if hawks wait til AJ is cut he can come even cheaper.

= just 15-19 mill for two pro bowl caliber WRs who had bad QBs. Amazing hawks can get both WR spots on the outside fixed.

All we have to do is cut miller & kearse to get t real WRs for the red zone too. Revis & browner & noname can't stop us then :)

Jville

Reaction score
It appears to be at that point in the proceedings where Marshall has worn out his welcome in Chicago, much as he did in Denver and Miami before arriving in Chicago in 2012. While it's not known yet whether the Bears will follow suit and decide less is more when it comes to Marshall and his spotlight-seeking ways, there are rumblings that the new management tandem of head coach John Fox and GM Ryan Pace may see the gifted receiver as more a part of the problem in Chicago than the solution. - Don Banks

Looks like that prognosis has been validated.

[urltargetblank]http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/10/2015-nfl-free-agency-wide-receivers-dez-bryant-demaryius-thomas-mike-wallace[/urltargetblank]

mikeak

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":15uy5fci said:
Marshall's base contract is 7.5 million (2015), 7.9 (2016) and 8.3 (2017)
In light of the Fitzgerald signing that looks like a bargain.

What portion is guaranteed is what matters. You basically need to be willing to pay 1st years salary and guaranteed money

flyingHigh

Reaction score
food for thought. Russell and kearse just became followers to Brandon Marshall on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.