Reaction score
volsunghawk":26tg7rem said:
Sgt. Largent":26tg7rem said:
ivotuk":26tg7rem said:
Seahawkwalt1967":26tg7rem said:
3 yr 30million extension 5/14
He'd hv to restructure
Hope he's a team player... Always felt he had a bad attitude

He has really matured, especially this year. Watching him on Inside the NFL you could see how much he has changed since he was diagnosed.

Calling out a bunch of your teammates in the press, especially your QB isn't mature.

http://deadspin.com/report-brandon-mars ... 648357159#

You do realize that the link you put in there doesn't show what you suggest it shows, right?

In that link, it mentions how Marshall's outburst on his teammates was behind closed doors, and anything published from that was just what was overheard by the media through the locker room doors. And it didn't sound from the reported stuff like he was tearing guys down; it sounds more like he was trying to motivate them and get some fire in them.

Then, when he actually did talk to the press, he said they had great guys on offense and that it was unacceptable that "we" had put up 14 points. I don't see any way that what he actually said to the press would be considered immature.

My bad, he sounds like an amazing teammate that prefers to scream at his teammates inside a closed room with the press standing outside where they can hear every word.

ivotuk said he's really matured, and I was saying that's wrong. He hasn't matured, in fact if anything his health, stats and attitude last year say he's regressed.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27o40sez said:
volsunghawk":27o40sez said:
Sgt. Largent":27o40sez said:
ivotuk":27o40sez said:
He has really matured, especially this year. Watching him on Inside the NFL you could see how much he has changed since he was diagnosed.

Calling out a bunch of your teammates in the press, especially your QB isn't mature.

http://deadspin.com/report-brandon-mars ... 648357159#

You do realize that the link you put in there doesn't show what you suggest it shows, right?

In that link, it mentions how Marshall's outburst on his teammates was behind closed doors, and anything published from that was just what was overheard by the media through the locker room doors. And it didn't sound from the reported stuff like he was tearing guys down; it sounds more like he was trying to motivate them and get some fire in them.

Then, when he actually did talk to the press, he said they had great guys on offense and that it was unacceptable that "we" had put up 14 points. I don't see any way that what he actually said to the press would be considered immature.

My bad, he sounds like an amazing teammate that prefers to scream at his teammates inside a closed room with the press standing outside where they can hear every word.

ivotuk said he's really matured, and I was saying that's wrong. He hasn't matured, in fact if anything his health, stats and attitude last year say he's regressed.

I would imagine that the difference between Marshall's exhortations to his Bears teammates and Kam's to his Seahawks teammates largely lies in the timing and in the resultant proximity of press to the locker room doors. That's a far cry from Marshall going off on his teammates in the press, which is what you said he did.

Every team that's faced a slump or some turmoil has had one of these types of "come to Jesus" talks. This illustrates nothing about Marshall's attitude; it only shows that he's one of the more vocal team leaders.

If you wanted to reject the idea of Marshall coming to Seattle based on his age, based on his compensation, or based on his production, that's supportable. But going after him on this particular point and saying it's illustrative of his lack of maturity is simply wrong.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1kv9yyb2 said:
King Dog":1kv9yyb2 said:
After the compensation this FO gave up to get Harvin, I'm afraid we're going to get fleeced again.....

Harvin was 24 when we acquired him, and fresh off a season where he was a real MVP candidate until he was injured. Far different than Brandon Marshall who is going to be 31 in a month.

He was a MVP canidate in one writers mind for about 2 weeks, nothing more, he always had injury problems, and was a notorious head case.

If you can get Marshall on the cheap, do it...

ivotuk

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":2yaskw0l said:
So if Marshawn does not come back and we get Marshall...any chance that this is motivated by Russell? That we are agreeing to move towards a more pass-oriented offense to keep him happy (much like Tom Brady and the Pats)?

I mean he's a great team player but he has goals and dreams like all QBs. Winning multiple Super Bowls is obviously one of them. But you cannot tell me that any QB dreams of being in a run first offense where his role is diminished and derided as nothing more than a "game manager".

He's a humble kid, but the "game manager" title's gotta hurt him.

Not to hijack the thread, but, if it's glory he's after, he's getting that in spades with this team. Russell is about one thing, and one thing only, Legacy. You don't get that in the NFL by throwing the ball a lot, you get it by winning Superbowls.

Case in point, one Troy Aikman, who averaged less than 3,000 yards per season during his 12 seasons in the NFL. Troy Aikman is an icon now. Not so much with players with 4,000 yard seasons like Drew Bledsoe.

Russell also wants to own an NFL team one day. Winning Superbowls with a great running game and defense will get him there.

Granted, a #1 receiver would really help and would probably be the difference in the Superbowl. But it's not all about passing.

Brandon Marshall is that guy that can be a difference maker and I believe he's unselfish enough to block for Marshawn, or whoever it is that will get him that ring.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Jacknut16":2yok0mfv said:
He was a MVP canidate in one writers mind for about 2 weeks, nothing more, he always had injury problems, and was a notorious head case.
Thats just not true

King Dog

Reaction score
We couldn't even complete a pass in the Super Bowl until almost halftime lol. I'm in.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Some of you guys aren't answering the question of "would you trade for Marshall and assume another 30M for the next three years on his contract?"

If so, what picks are you willing to give up, cause 10M a year is too rich for my blood, especially if it includes giving up picks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":49a5iifn said:
Some of you guys aren't answering the question of "would you trade for Marshall and assume another 30M for the next three years on his contract?"

If so, what picks are you willing to give up, cause 10M a year is too rich for my blood, especially if it includes giving up picks.

I think it's safe to assume that if we trade for him, he will be restructuring his deal.

As far as compensation.. I'd offer the same type of deal we got for Harvin. Conditional 5th/6th that could become a better pick if he produces, stays on the field, etc.

The Bears won't get much for him on the open market, especially since it's pretty well known they are likely cutting him

Rat

Reaction score
He embarrassed the Niners in their first home game at their new stadium. That makes him an OK guy in my book.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1ihek3wj said:

Why answer a question that most likely wouldn't happen? It's highly doubtful the Hawks trade for Marshall without giving him a new deal.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And he's a hell of a lot better than ANY WR on the Hawks team, period. Dude goes up and gets it. The Hawks need a guy who can do just that.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I've written a bit in other posts about how I think Harvin checks all the boxes for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), with Antisocial Personality Disorder tendencies. I suspect the team got an official diagnosis at some point, but of course the team would never share that type of info publicly.

Marshall has acknowledged having BPD, and has done what he can to raise awareness. I can tell you (personal experience) there is a huge difference between a Borderline who comes out (Marshall) and someone who hides his issues and plays other people off against each other (Harvin). The first can be very frustrating at times, but you can work with them. With the second type, you worry that your throat will be cut in the middle of the night.

I think in the Seattle environment, Marshall would be manageable, wouldn't damage the team cohesion, and the effort would be worth it for the on-field skills and production he will bring. Russell Wilson was willing to work with Harvin after he found out Harvin's issues; Pete and John vetoed that idea, and rightly so. I believe Marshall and Wilson would get along just fine.

hawksurething

Reaction score
If the money for Marshall/Melton was equal to the money for Suh, it would be a better route.[/quote]

Since defense D-line was not the weakest link in the Superbowl since they shut blount down. A #1 WR like Marshall would fix that spot. Then all they have to do is draft 1 of the Top 5 WRs to play the #2 spot and learn from Marshall. With Baldwin in the slot chewing up nickle CBs better than Edelman.

There are plenty of great D-lineman in free agency & in the draft this year. Actually too many to chose from. :)

But Only 4 WRs in the NFL & 5 WRs in the draft that can demand a double team & produce 8 TDs in the red zone.

Here is the top 4 NFL WRs & what the players see in them...

D.Thomas https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DFly-od0COc

Dez https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YNXsxAsz8HU

Marshall https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0QcZ5kXQFJM

Fitz https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TD2f-u2lsm4

I love Dez & Thomas since speed kills along with their physical play and jump balls. Thomas has strong routes.

But Marshall is a 6'5 possession WR with subtle speed too(I mean he is 6'5 230). Has great routes,the strongest hands,best jump ball,run after the catch,great zone recognition,gets off the press with ease,catches in traffic with guys hanging all over him & trying to clean his clock,Amazing blocker,etc... He is complete WR & smart on the field. He even tore our LOB apart !

This shows how complete Marshall really is ... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=okwJA6mXpHY

He dont have personality issues either,its just some people cant handle a fire personality like the entire hawks team already has. He wants to win,there is no quit in him. You would throw the ball at cutler too for his whimpiness & give up attitude !!!

Hawks fix their weaknesses extremely fast with a true flat out football player. GO HAWKS !

hawksurething

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":qpaw3d6n said:
Sgt. Largent":qpaw3d6n said:

Why answer a question that most likely wouldn't happen? It's highly doubtful the Hawks trade for Marshall without giving him a new deal.

Yep sure would. That 10 mill a year would have caught that ball from the 1 yard line or at least got to the spot for a incompletion. Right?

A measily 10 mill for a superbowl. 12th man will take that. :)

hawksurething

Reaction score
swagcity21":2ra4ni6a said:
Spin Doctor":2ra4ni6a said:
swagcity21":2ra4ni6a said:
OOORRRRRRR...... We spend our money else where on the team and continue to develop the talent we have I.E. Chris Matthews, Kevin Norwood.

We've proven to win on the offensive side of the ball without that elite WR. Unless we draft one(Kelvin Benjamin) or pick one up on the FA market I don't see why this FO would trade for anyone.

Unless anyone thinks were going to switch in one off season from a power running team to a vertical team on the whim that Beast mode retires I don't see why we get rid of draft picks and available cap space for a questionable player for only a year or two. Doesn't sound like our type of FO move.
At the same time our offense has remained stagnate, only functioning due to the efforts of Lynch, and the improvisational abilities of Wilson. These two players, and the dynamic they bring to the football field are the only reason the Seahawks are able to move the ball.

What are we going to do after Lynch? What are we going to do once Wilson's contract makes it so we cannot have the same depth on defense that we used to? The Seahawks desperately need a good wide receiver. Even just the presence of Golden Tate and Sidney Rice opened up our other receivers. You don't give your QB a 100 million dollar contract and decide to surround him with mediocre talent.

I agree with many of your points. but I also believe that the majority of our success is on the defensive side of the ball. I think part of what makes Russell so special is his ability to elevate the players around him. We don't need that splashy name out there at the X spot to be great. Lynch is a once in a lifetime running back, at least in my eyes. So replacing will be impossible. But replacing him with another Back who can produce a 1,000 yard season is not out of the question.

Russell will always command another defender in the box just based off his improvisational skills. Still leaving many times 1 on 1's on the outside.

Its hard to commit a bunch of money to a player who will only catch 60 passes a year. Finding talent in the draft or above average talent looking for a ring will most likely be our WR corp for the future.

I'm going to help y'all on this subject. Its a myth someone threw at hawks fans that a WR won't get 1200 yards & 10 TDs in a run first offense,because Dez just put up 1300 & 13 TDs with Murray.

WRs get better stats with star RBs & vice versa...Marvin Harrison had E.James,Bruce had faulk,Rice had Craig,Irvin had emmit,etc...

Lynch will probally stay knowing he will do even better running vs 7-6 man fronts due to double coverage on the #1 WR,which is easier on his back & the #1 WR will destroy single coverage if defenses go 8 in the box. Defenses won't be able to stop the hawks both ways.

Understand now my fellow hawks fans ? Don't let the media trick us with that "a run 1st team can't have a probowl WR too" lie.

marko358

Reaction score
If this is true, that's one less veteran available:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/568048103871389696[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":xut9d896 said:
Sgt. Largent":xut9d896 said:

Cause that's the subject matter of this thread?

I'm just seeing a bunch of "hell yeah I'd take Marshall!" on this thread, and it's not addressing what it'd take to get him if he's not cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.