Rumor.. Hawks interested in trading for Brandon Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonstout

Reaction score
The Bears new FO folks met with Marshall this week and the media says that there was no strong desire to keep him. They also say that nobody would be stupid enough to trade ANYTHING for him and if a team does give them even a 7th rounder for him, Pace should get exec of the year. They want his contract, attitude, me-first mentality out of Chicago and I hope we aren't the "stupid team".

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1qsa0b1x said:
And he's a hell of a lot better than ANY WR on the Hawks team, period. Dude goes up and gets it. The Hawks need a guy who can do just that.
This. Basically if you can get him you do it. It's obvious that if we do go after him it will be under a whole different deal and maybe a 7th round pick at most. More likely he gets cut and then it's just about money not picks.

marko358

Reaction score
vonstout":33quqofw said:
The Bears new FO folks met with Marshall this week and the media says that there was no strong desire to keep him. They also say that nobody would be stupid enough to trade ANYTHING for him and if a team does give them even a 7th rounder for him, Pace should get exec of the year. They want his contract, attitude, me-first mentality out of Chicago and I hope we aren't the "stupid team".

What was his attitude with the Bears last year when they were putting up ridiculous offensive numbers and winning games? They were one of the least competitive teams in the NFL this year so I can see why he was unhappy.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":clj8h6q4 said:
Hawkfan77":clj8h6q4 said:
Sgt. Largent":clj8h6q4 said:
Some of you guys aren't answering the question of "would you trade for Marshall and assume another 30M for the next three years on his contract?"

If so, what picks are you willing to give up, cause 10M a year is too rich for my blood, especially if it includes giving up picks.
Why answer a question that most likely wouldn't happen? It's highly doubtful the Hawks trade for Marshall without giving him a new deal.

Cause that's the subject matter of this thread?

I'm just seeing a bunch of "hell yeah I'd take Marshall!" on this thread, and it's not addressing what it'd take to get him if he's not cut.
How often is it that when players are traded their contracts remain untouched by the new team?

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2s46rjl5 said:
Sgt. Largent":2s46rjl5 said:
Hawkfan77":2s46rjl5 said:
Sgt. Largent":2s46rjl5 said:
Some of you guys aren't answering the question of "would you trade for Marshall and assume another 30M for the next three years on his contract?"

If so, what picks are you willing to give up, cause 10M a year is too rich for my blood, especially if it includes giving up picks.
Why answer a question that most likely wouldn't happen? It's highly doubtful the Hawks trade for Marshall without giving him a new deal.

I'm just seeing a bunch of "hell yeah I'd take Marshall!" on this thread, and it's not addressing what it'd take to get him if he's not cut.
How often is it that when players are traded their contracts remain untouched by the new team?

The Jets didn't rework Harvin's deal. The only thing adjusted was the fallout from his signing bonus and money already payed while he was still with the Hawks. Unless i'm missing something. A re-worked deal is not guaranteed but can be done.

Largent's point still stands. If you want to get a player, you need to face the realities of paying him.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Basis4day":2iv2ypd0 said:
The Jets didn't rework Harvin's deal. The only thing adjusted was the fallout from his signing bonus and money already payed while he was still with the Hawks. Unless i'm missing something. A re-worked deal is not guaranteed but can be done.

Largent's point still stands. If you want to get a player, you need to face the realities of paying him.
I never said it was guaranteed, I asked how often does it happen

You say Harvin's deal wasn't reworked followed by saying his signing bonus was adjusted... :229031_confused2:

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":371jafec said:
Basis4day":371jafec said:

I never said it was guaranteed, I asked how often does it happen

You say Harvin's deal wasn't reworked followed by saying his signing bonus was adjusted... :229031_confused2:

Well now we're arguing semantics.

Yes, there is always an adjustment to the cap implications when a player is traded because of things like signing bonuses and how any guaranteed money was doled out. But I don't consider that a contract being reworked as the initial terms of the contract as they are written up are still in place.

Marshall's base contract is 7.5 million (2015), 7.9 (2016) and 8.3 (2017). That is what the Hawks would inherit if they trade for Marshall. The Bears would keep the cap hit on 5.6 million from his initial signing bonus.

If you're fine paying that, great. But you need to account for it as Largent points out.

Hyak

Reaction score
There is no way they would take on Marshall's salary as is and I also doubt they would trade for him. As an unrestricted FA, yeah there may be some interest but at a more reasonable cap number.

Basis4day

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1k433rpx said:
Marshall's base contract is 7.5 million (2015), 7.9 (2016) and 8.3 (2017)
In light of the Fitzgerald signing that looks like a bargain.

Could be. I think Largent only wants fans who would like to trade for Marshall to accept the cap implications as it relates to extending guys like Bobby Wagner and not assuming that Marshall is willing to rework his current deal and save the Hawks money.

Hyak

Reaction score
Regardless of trade/FA signing, there is no way Seattle would pay that much to him.

hawksurething

Reaction score
marko358":o2kokme9 said:
If this is true, that's one less veteran available:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/568048103871389696[/tweet]

Good Fitz is no where near 6'5 230 43 inch vertical Marshall who destroyed our defense and dropped 6 rec & 106 yards on revis island...he would have got more yards plus some TDs if the QB could throw the ball on target or even throw jump balls like basketball lobs. But Wilson excels at both !

Plus Marshall is the best blocking WR !

hawksurething

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ibxhshfi said:
Hawkfan77":ibxhshfi said:
Sgt. Largent":ibxhshfi said:

It won't take much since he had a down year with that sorry cutler. plus what hawks fan would NOT take a 10 million WR that makes that last catch in the Superbowl ???

hawksurething

Reaction score
Haliaetus"]
kf3339":3bm7btsp said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3bm7btsp said:
marko358":3bm7btsp said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/710ESPNSeattle/status/566398625060638720[/tweet]

Baldwin and Kearse move down to be the #2 and #3 WRs where they should be. Then you cut Miller and let Willson and Helfet continue to progress. The offense would be light years better than last year assuming Lynch returns.

Just let Kearse walk if you have Marshall.

If this was to happen and we also some how got Suh it would be pretty much a dream come true. I also think you could figure out a way to keep Miller since he is now more of a blocking TE than a move TE and may very well want to go after one more SB ring himself. After all, he didn't may feel he owes the team a year given his injury was very early on in the season. Who knows, but fun to think about!

It could be done both Suh and Marshall.

Lets say the Bears do trade us Marshall... They actually save 3.95m. I dont know where the other guy got 13m from. Marshall saved the Bears as Som6rset said 4m.

Lets also say the Seahawks trade thier 2015 4th and 6th rounder (from Jets).

Lets say the Seahawks also get Marshall to restructure with GUARANTEED MONEY.

Sidebar of Reality- Seahawks lacking WR depth will likely opt to give Kearse a 2nd round tender. Ive seen that number been estimated at 2.5 min to 3.1 max.

So lets say Seahawks give Marshall a 4 yr, 30m w/ 8m signing bonus. Up to 18 m guaranteef.

2m hits on a 4 yr spread. Right

Year 1: 2 base gtd + 8m sb = 10 m in pocket.

Cap hit = 4m

Note: 4m is about 1m more than the max estimate of the 2nd round tender slotted to keep Kearse.

Marshall @4 > Kearse @ 2.5-3

Yr 2: Doug Baldwin enters the last year of his deal @ 5.6m against the cap. Keep in mind that after the season that money will return to the WR pool.

For Marshall:

1.5 roster/workout bonus + 2.5 gtd base + sb = 6.0 cap hit

2 yr earnings = 14 m

Yr 3: Remember Baldwin comes off the books so Marshall can get a significant boost. 2017 is also the Year where the cap is expected to be 160 m and Seahawks have 100m in free cap which will change ofcourse when Wilson and Wagner plus others sign their extensions.

But what was Baldwin's can now be Marshall's and allocate some of the 5.6 m cap hit to Marshall's purse.

1m roster bonus
+ 1 m workout bonus
+ 4m base salary
+ 1 m performance pay
+ signing bonus
= 9m cap hit

BM can be cut saving 5 m or 7 m( by designating him as a June 1st cut).

Yr 4: Keep in mind this will be Marshall's age 34 season.

1m roster bonus
+1m workout bonus
+ 5 yr base
+2m performance pay
= 11 m

Seahawks can cut Marshall saving 9 m.

Total Earnings In Years:
1- 10 m
2- 14 m
3- 21 m
4- 30 m[/quote]

Dude you are a BOSS !
I love hawks fans that get into detail with actual data,instead of just opinions ! You layed cap salary down for all of us concerning Marshall.

hawksurething

Reaction score
This shows how complete Marshall really is ... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=okwJA6mXpHY

Smoked Revis island & 0ur legion of Boom ! Holds the record with 21 receptions in 1 freaking game !!!

Plus Marshall is the Complete WR. I like him more than megatron due to his blocking,routes,run after the catch,43 inch vertical with a 6'5 230 frame,jump ball, catches with DBs hanging all over him,speed for his size,and his courage to take any big hit !

With Wilson throwing him those pretty lobs...I can see him & Lynch out producing Dez & Murray with 1400 yards & 15 TDs.easily :)

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawksurething":3be9lwvw said:
Sgt. Largent":3be9lwvw said:
Hawkfan77":3be9lwvw said:
Sgt. Largent":3be9lwvw said:

It won't take much since he had a down year with that sorry cutler. plus what hawks fan would NOT take a 10 million WR that makes that last catch in the Superbowl ???

Again, Largent is talking the $ amount assuming he was traded for, not what he could collect if he is released and hits FA.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
A WR like Marshall completes the offense. Which is why I'm not surprised to hear that Hawks are possibly interested. They wanted him 4 years ago and it seems they still want him. They have their price limit (in both trade bounty and cap wise) and they won't "break the bank" or stray from their plan.

It's highly doubtful Marshall costs a high draft pick and that the hawks would trade for him with his existing contract.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Im almost off the Suh wagon and just fine having the Seahawks going after 2 of Nick Fairley, Stephen Paea, Henry Melton, or Jared Odrick. Likely cutting just one of McDaniel or Mebane.

But with Fitz staying in red and white. Now I want B-Marsh even more.

His salaries arent that much to take on considering the cost of Kearse is 2.5-3. Cutting Zach Miller saves 2.4m thats already 5m of that 7.9 cap figure.

In reality Seahawks can work around that figure if Marshall plays hardball and then they can try restructure his contract next year where he doesnt have a single bill of guaranted money.

Im just imagining right now:

6-4, 230 Brandon Marshall at Flanker
6-6, 220 Dorial Beckham-Green at Split-End
Little ADB in the slot.

With Clive Walford or Ben Koyack competing with Luke Willson at TE.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pete calls Wilson a Point Guard. Well, Marshall is one of the best post up players the game has seen. He doesn't need to be open to be open. He would fix some of our red zone issues in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.