Rumor.. Hawks interested in trading for Brandon Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
King Dog":3a08mlll said:
After the compensation this FO gave up to get Harvin, I'm afraid we're going to get fleeced again.....

Harvin was 24 when we acquired him, and fresh off a season where he was a real MVP candidate until he was injured. Far different than Brandon Marshall who is going to be 31 in a month.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
At 31 he is past his prime and really why not wait till he is cut.No need to waste picks.

trharder

Reaction score
The original Twitter post that spawned this was by someone that I've never heard of. It looked like fantasy football talk by people that don't know the Seahawks as well as we do. Chicago pulled Marshall off the scrap heap after, I think, Miami dumped him like we did Percy. This, reportedly, was at the request of Jay Cutler, who is supposed to be butt buddies with Marshall from their Denver days. That this feel good story fell apart like a soup sandwich is telling. I would think John Schneider would be exceptionally leery of this pick up.

vonstout

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":23f76a5o said:
vonstout":23f76a5o said:
dontbelikethat":23f76a5o said:
Seahawkwalt1967":23f76a5o said:
3 yr 30million extension 5/14
He'd hv to restructure
Hope he's a team player... Always felt he had a bad attitude

Yeah he was a headcase early on, but dude has really turned his life around. Would love to see him here.

You obviously haven't heard about the problems he's created this year for Chicago. He's a head case who is a "me" guy. He's a lockeroom cancer like Harvin, but not quite as bad. Don't you think it's an issue when all three teams he's played for want to get rid of him after a couple of years? No thanks.

He had reported issues with Jay Cutler and losing (and it was one report about hearing screaming and arguging?), aside from that I don't know what else there was. I don't know the extent or context of those issues either and how they affected the locker room since I'm not in there or if that makes him a cancer because I wasn't there. I guess he also had that twitter thing where the dude was talking about his mom. Off the field though, I think he's toned it down a bit. He does seem genuine with all the stuff he does about advocating for mental illness awareness since he's been doing a lot of advocating and raising a lot of awareness. Dude has also been plenty open about his history and has definitely been a leader for the Bears since his arrival there.

He was definitely an on-field and off-field issue with his past teams, but the Bears according to reports have asked to him to take a pay cut, it's not like they're out right releasing him right now because he's that much of an issue (i.e.Harvin)

BR's Jason Cole reports #Bucs and #Bears will ask Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall to take pay cuts. Could both be cut if they decline.

This is supposed to be him being a cancer lol...?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... -turnovers

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... i-dolphins

I live in Southern Wisconsin and commute an hour to Rockford, so I listen to Chicago sports talk 2 hours/day. They have former Bear players (Tom Waddle, Doug Buffone, Ed O'Bradovich) on all the time, and they hope the Bears get rid of him. He cares more about flying to NY to do his NFL Network show every week than getting ready for the next game. He's a lot like Dez. He'd rather have huge stats and lose than get little and win. He was happy when Jay always forced the ball to him, but complained and criticized him last year. He ran the wrong rout last year and it ended up being a pick, but the coaching staff was afraid to say anything about it publicly because they knew he would blow up. Go ahead and believe what you read on the Internet. Like I said before, he's been on three teams and put up great stats, but after a few years, they all want to get rid of him. Denver got 2 second rounders for the young pro-bowl WR. Then Mia got 2 third rounders for the still ProBowl WR. Why do you think teams want to get rid of a perennial pro-bowler?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
if we are gonna take an older receiver who has dealt with injuries in recent years, give me Larry Fitzgerald.

Extremely undervalued right now because his production in recent years has been down but how much of that has been due to the train wreck at QB they've paraded out there? And there are 0 concerns about the character and leadership he would bring to the team. He wouldn't be a problem if he didn't get the ball thrown his way every down here.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
How many big name WRs need to come here, receive massive compensation, and fail before the team learns? They need to not make another stupid trade and instead draft some actual size and talent at the WR position and develop it. Marahall is a great player but history shows us it would be a train wreck for him here

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
vonstout":hq7xuh8n said:
I live in Southern Wisconsin and commute an hour to Rockford, so I listen to Chicago sports talk 2 hours/day. They have former Bear players (Tom Waddle, Doug Buffone, Ed O'Bradovich) on all the time, and they hope the Bears get rid of him. He cares more about flying to NY to do his NFL Network show every week than getting ready for the next game. He's a lot like Dez. He'd rather have huge stats and lose than get little and win. He was happy when Jay always forced the ball to him, but complained and criticized him last year. He ran the wrong rout last year and it ended up being a pick, but the coaching staff was afraid to say anything about it publicly because they knew he would blow up. Go ahead and believe what you read on the Internet. Like I said before, he's been on three teams and put up great stats, but after a few years, they all want to get rid of him. Denver got 2 second rounders for the young pro-bowl WR. Then Mia got 2 third rounders for the still ProBowl WR. Why do you think teams want to get rid of a perennial pro-bowler?

And listening to the radio from former players and radio heads is any more credible than internet reports and facts from actual reporters, analyst, teammates, players, etc. lol? Believe you want to hear on the radio man lol. Again, no one has denied his past, we all know he was a a huge head case (stated many times already). MIA and DEN had legit concerns about his character and got rid of him. When he went to CHI, he toned it down a bit. The reason CHI wants to get rid of him? He's on the other side of 30 and is making a ton of money. They reportedly want him to restructure and stay on the team as I posted from Jason Cole's report above. We all know he's not worth that much anymore, but on a fair deal, he's definitely worth keeping on any team. Dude is a play maker and at the same time, he's also (to his detriment at times) very outspoken.

Again, this is supposed to be him being a cancer and attacking Jay Cutler and caring more about his NFL network show?
Dude sounds like he just wants to win.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/ ... acceptable

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... -turnovers

vonstout

Reaction score
Yeah, I think former players that have access to current players on the Bears roster that have a weekly show on their station and know what's going on in the locker room have some credibility. Do you think you get more Accurate Seahawks news in Seattle than I do in Chicago? Marshall had an injury filled year and created turmoil in the locker room. If he ends up in Seattle for more than a year, the same thing will happen.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
vonstout":ntzv80qc said:
Yeah, I think former players that have access to current players on the Bears roster that have a weekly show on their station and know what's going on in the locker room have some credibility. Do you think you get more Accurate Seahawks news in Seattle than I do in Chicago? Marshall had an injury filled year and created turmoil in the locker room. If he ends up in Seattle for more than a year, the same thing will happen.

Never said that they weren't credible, but is what they say anything besides speculative or that they just want him gone? I mean the ESPN Chicago beat writer expects Marshall to be back in Chicago and Jason Cole and his "sources/access" on the Bears say that they want him to stay on the team and restructure...so what does that mean, if anything? He's still worth all that trouble to them?

I mean, from the facts I know, this is supposed to be the big "turmoil" you're referring too? Again, sounds like he just wants to win.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/ ... acceptable

www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-10- ... -turnovers

I'm not saying he's a saint, but at the right price, I think he's definitely worth the gamble. And if you really want to point some fingers for the Bears turmoil, Jay Cutler & Trestman definitely deserve more blame for Chicago's 5-11 season than anyone, and well deserved too.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I think Martellus Bennett could give his brother some pretty good insight on Marshall if the Hawks really wanted to know how he is in the lockerroom.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kf3339":3035zt3v said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3035zt3v said:
marko358":3035zt3v said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/710ESPNSeattle/status/566398625060638720[/tweet]

Baldwin and Kearse move down to be the #2 and #3 WRs where they should be. Then you cut Miller and let Willson and Helfet continue to progress. The offense would be light years better than last year assuming Lynch returns.

Just let Kearse walk if you have Marshall.

If this was to happen and we also some how got Suh it would be pretty much a dream come true. I also think you could figure out a way to keep Miller since he is now more of a blocking TE than a move TE and may very well want to go after one more SB ring himself. After all, he didn't may feel he owes the team a year given his injury was very early on in the season. Who knows, but fun to think about!

It could be done both Suh and Marshall.

Lets say the Bears do trade us Marshall... They actually save 3.95m. I dont know where the other guy got 13m from. Marshall saved the Bears as Som6rset said 4m.

Lets also say the Seahawks trade thier 2015 4th and 6th rounder (from Jets).

Lets say the Seahawks also get Marshall to restructure with GUARANTEED MONEY.

Sidebar of Reality- Seahawks lacking WR depth will likely opt to give Kearse a 2nd round tender. Ive seen that number been estimated at 2.5 min to 3.1 max.

So lets say Seahawks give Marshall a 4 yr, 30m w/ 8m signing bonus. Up to 18 m guaranteef.

2m hits on a 4 yr spread.

Year 1: 2 base gtd + 8m sb = 10 m in pocket.

Cap hit = 4m

Note: 4m is about 1m more than the max estimate of the 2nd round tender slotted to keep Kearse.

Marshall @4 > Kearse @ 2.5-3

Yr 2: Doug Baldwin enters the last year of his deal @ 5.6m against the cap. Keep in mind that after the season that money will return to the WR pool.

For Marshall:

1.5 roster/workout bonus + 2.5 gtd base + sb = 6.0 cap hit

2 yr earnings = 14 m

Yr 3: Remember Baldwin comes off the books so Marshall can get a significant boost. 2017 is also the Year where the cap is expected to be 160 m and Seahawks have 100m in free cap which will change ofcourse when Wilson and Wagner plus others sign their extensions.

But what was Baldwin's can now be Marshall's and allocate some of the 5.6 m cap hit to Marshall's purse.

1m roster bonus
+ 1 m workout bonus
+ 4m base salary
+ 1 m performance pay
+ signing bonus
= 9m cap hit

BM can be cut saving 5 m or 7 m( by designating him as a June 1st cut).

Yr 4: Keep in mind this will be Marshall's age 34 season.

1m roster bonus
+1m workout bonus
+ 5 yr base
+2m performance pay
= 11 m

Seahawks can cut Marshall saving 9 m.

Total Earnings In Years:
1- 10 m
2- 14 m
3- 21 m
4- 30 m

JonRud

Reaction score
Brandon is gonna have a hell of a long flight every week from Seattle to NY (or Mount Laurel NJ?) to film 'Inside The NFL' every week.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
My dream scenario would be a three way trade.

Marshall to Arizona for Fitz and a 4th.

Zona gets big bodied WR that fits their vertical passing game better at a price they could afford.

Seahawks trade a 4th plus maybe a future 5th round pick for Fitz... And put him on a team friendly contract like the model I gave to Marshall above. Seahawks get thier elite possession WR Wilson needs in short to intermediate passing game + RZ

Bears save 4m and get two 4th round picks this year plus another possible in 2016.

Win-win-win.

But this scenario is highly unlikely.

kearly

Reaction score
I've been waiting for this story for some time. Everyone should remember that Seattle was the frontrunner for months to trade for Marshall when he was in Denver before the Dolphins jumped in at the last minute.

Marshall has a base salary of 7.5 million next season that becomes fully guaranteed on March 12th, which is two days after the start of free agency and trades. Basically, the Bears structured his contract so that there would be a lot of incentive to cut or trade him this offseason.

Seattle obviously needs a guy just like Marshall and doesn't want to spend a 1st round pick and $11 million APY to do it right now. Chicago will want to trade. You are probably looking at a 3rd or 4th round pick being enough to get this player. JS is always looking to make moneyball moves (good contribution vs. cost ratio) and this is a situation that could very easily fit the moneyball mold while also filling an urgent need for the team.

If a trade doesn't happen, it probably won't be over draft picks, but money. Seattle will probably want Marshall to take less money. If Marshall worries about being cut, and likes the idea of being a star on a potential SB winner, he might go for it. But if he doesn't, I doubt Seattle does the trade.

Marshall turns 31 next month, and did appear to take a small step back last season. He is still easily a top 20 WR in this league and extremely tough to defend in the red zone, and great on deep routes. The advantages he has with his size and his hands will not suffer from age, though of course I expect him to decline and I don't know if he will force double teams at this stage of his career.

I am not worried about his mental problems. It seems he has put those to bed in recent years, and even when he was troubled, he's generally gotten along well with his QBs.

It would be interesting to see if Seattle goes after Suh if they trade for Marshall. They could probably make it work, but they'd have to get very creative with their contracts and might have to cut a good player to make it work.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
While Brandon Marshall would be a good add....I'd rather see them wait to see if he gets released and not trade for him. Andre Johnson is just as good as Marshall and he should be free soon. I'd like the Seahawks go that route. If they want to trade for anyone that's a Bear, I'd rather they traded for Alshon Jeffery.

marko358

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2qdve9sj said:
While Brandon Marshall would be a good add....I'd rather see them wait to see if he gets released and not trade for him. Andre Johnson is just as good as Marshall and he should be free soon. I'd like the Seahawks go that route. If they want to trade for anyone that's a Bear, I'd rather they traded for Alshon Jeffery.

Maybe my mind is getting too old but isn't Andre Johnson injured all the time? Seems like he misses games every year.

kearly

Reaction score
marko358":12h3267c said:
Maybe my mind is getting too old but isn't Andre Johnson injured all the time? Seems like he misses games every year.

And for whatever reason, Andre Johnson isn't a very productive red zone player. He should be, but isn't.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
joeseahawks":20itrlxv said:
I'm sure PC/JS have learned from the Percy Harvin trade.
They won't make the same mistake again. There are better options (age, salary, .. etc) than Marshall, if we need a possession receiver.

Dude dont quit your day job.

Rat

Reaction score
hawkfan68":rvd6vgwy said:
If they want to trade for anyone that's a Bear, I'd rather they traded for Alshon Jeffery.
That'd easily take a first rounder, while landing Marshall probably wouldn't take more than a 4th-5th to acquire. Plus Jeffrey would require a much larger contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.