Report: Seahawks suspect Wilson wants to play for other team

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Sometimes you are the 76ers and have to trade Barkley.

But the thing is, it tends to work out much more for the Charles Barkley in this story than the 76ers.

Still, we have to just trust that whatever deal gets made - it is going to have to be the best deal they can make. We aren't going to SuperBowls anymore for a long time. So we are shooting for just being good to very good.

A 40M contract will hamstring us on that, so will losing one of the best QBs in the league and one of the only QBs that can produce in our system.

You work with what you got. Hopefully it turns out.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
AirStrike":362ubrc6 said:
Hawkpower":362ubrc6 said:
Sports Hernia":362ubrc6 said:
Hawkpower":362ubrc6 said:
What if you pay your QB 35 million and he can't cover up the deficiencies of the players around him?

This is the dilema facing the hawks. Is he good enough to do so? Is any QB good enough to make up for the fact that a huge percentage of the team's salary is allocated to him?

It's a tough call.
Not to sound flip, but I don’t think it’s not a tough call at all. Pay the man and give him the keys to the offense Peyton Manning style.

But hes not Peyton Manning....

Has he ever been given autonomy though? That's the problem here, put the game in his hands instead of pounding the football. Aside from the goal line in the Superbowl which was absurd, let him win us some games with his arm and his mind.

We relied quite a bit on his arm in 2017 with mixed results. I know...Bevell, o-line, etc :D

In Russ' career, including college, he hasnt ever shown to be THAT kind (Peyton Manning) of QB...the guy with the dynamic arm or razor accuracy that just sits in the pocket and dissects defenses with ease, looking off coverages and running deeo into his progressions. Again, doesnt mean he cant....but there may be a reason no coach has asked him to play that style of football....ever......

And thats ok. Pete, along with all of his other coaches, are playing to his strengths. That's what coaches do. But if we are going to pay him 35 million, that's a different conversation with his skill set....

Scorpion05

Reaction score
BlueThunder":11pf0ta3 said:
I'm so torn by this. Damnit, why couldn't he be a true team player, more concerned with rings than a couple more $$'s. Ala Tom frickin' Brady. I love Russ, but my opinion of him is declining rapidly. I'm more leaning to if we can get a blockbuster draft pick deal for him to restock the team, and then hopefully roll the dice and actually come up with a decent future franchise qb, then I'm game (MASSIVE "IF", of course). Rebuild the D, get a RB and go from there. If we pay Russ what he's greedily looking for, we're not gonna sniff another SB while he's still here. JMHO. And if we do trade him, trade him to a lower-tier AFC team. Yeah, then I'd be all over it. I think the roll the dice option has a greater chance of getting another ring than relying on practically Russ alone to do it.

Why can't owners be the same way? Why can't they put the team and the fans ahead of their own profits?

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Hawkpower":fgowfhju said:
AirStrike":fgowfhju said:
Hawkpower":fgowfhju said:
Sports Hernia":fgowfhju said:
Not to sound flip, but I don’t think it’s not a tough call at all. Pay the man and give him the keys to the offense Peyton Manning style.

Has he ever been given autonomy though? That's the problem here, put the game in his hands instead of pounding the football. Aside from the goal line in the Superbowl which was absurd, let him win us some games with his arm and his mind.

We relied quite a bit on his arm in 2017 with mixed results. I know...Bevell, o-line, etc :D

In Russ' career, including college, he hasnt ever shown to be THAT kind (Peyton Manning) of QB...the guy with the dynamic arm or razor accuracy that just sits in the pocket and dissects defenses with ease, looking off coverages and running deeo into his progressions. Again, doesnt mean he cant....but there may be a reason no coach has asked him to play that style of football....ever......

And thats ok. Pete, along with all of his other coaches, are playing to his strengths. That's what coaches do. But if we are going to pay him 35 million, that's a different conversation with his skill set....

There really is no need to make this more complicated than it is.

Patrick Mahomes, Carson Wentz, Baker. No one is comparing them to Peyton Manning. But people have high hopes for them

Russ has shown that he can throw into extremely tight windows (this is actual fact), read defenses, and he throws a great deep ball. That doesn't even include his ability to pull the read option or extend plays. He's a major threat in any offense.

A lot of the arguments being made here are silly. We made it to the playoffs with nothing but young talent and injuries. No Earl, Kam still on contract, KJ injured, Kendricks suspended. The idea that we can't make a deep playoff run with a great QB like Russ makes very little sense. You don't need superstars to win, the Patriots literally do this every year

The Tom Brady argument never works because Bill rarely pays for superstars and STILL wins. He relies on the draft and good valued free agents. Why can't we do the same? How many teams with top Defenses and crappy Qbs have won Super Bowls? The Jaguars? The Ravens?

Smellyman

Reaction score
AirStrike":1qvf8s1s said:
Hawkpower":1qvf8s1s said:
Sports Hernia":1qvf8s1s said:
Hawkpower":1qvf8s1s said:
What if you pay your QB 35 million and he can't cover up the deficiencies of the players around him?

This is the dilema facing the hawks. Is he good enough to do so? Is any QB good enough to make up for the fact that a huge percentage of the team's salary is allocated to him?

It's a tough call.

Game on the line and 2 minute situations he has always shined. Amazing what happens when the shackles are removed.

Pete's philosophy of keep it close and have RW win in the 4th only works because of RW. Would be nice to win in the first half sometimes.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Hmm. Wonder if Florio is getting anything from Russ’ agent for helping to spread this completely unsubstantiated rumor.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Nope, he did NOT want to play for another team. It's beyond obvious he is exactly where he wants to be.
Shoot, he could have demanded and received a lot more $.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
John63":2ue5at8u said:
Russ Willstrong":2ue5at8u said:
I'm really worried. I thought JS could have gotten Russ to bite on a 4 year contract with atleast 110 mil guaranteed.
I guess our "little" QB really wants to become a Giant.
PC shouldn't have promised Wilson a "masters level" quarterback experience and keep providing high school curriculum. Sigh....

Well for one you are assuming they offered that, maybe they have not, maybe they will. The reality is we don't know what has or has not been offered. Just people making stuff up to allow them to much a side or push their opinion. Example look at you, you say 4 year with 110 guaranteed and say Wilson must have wanted to be a giant implying they offered him that, and he said no, When the reality is you don't know. You post make sit clear you paint Wilson as the bad guy or reason there is no deal, when the reality is it could be the hawks, For all we know they low balled the heck out of him, or he asked for the moon, we don't know. Just a lot of people making stuff up that is all.

Not assuming anything about Wilson other than he was disappointed in the playoff loss and isnt getting the masters level quarterbacking opportunities that was promised.
Either way JS got it done. :lol:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkpower":33sra7u8 said:
Sports Hernia":33sra7u8 said:
Hawkpower":33sra7u8 said:
TheHawkster":33sra7u8 said:
Best thing I heard all day.

Pay your elite QB $35 million and he'll cover up the deficiencies of players around him.
or
Pay any QB $20 million and cover up his deficiencies with $25 million worth of skill position players.

It's a tough call.

How do you know that. He’s never been given the opportunity to be.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":hu2hdbdn said:
Lots of mediots and their fanboys looking real stupid today!

Not the first time Russell Wilson and the Seahawks have done this to them, probably why they dislike us so much.