Seattle Seahawks' Uchenna Nwosu wants bigger role than at Los Angeles Chargers

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nwosu spent four seasons with the Chargers, with his last being the most productive. The 25-year-old registered a career-high five sacks in 2021, featuring in 17 games last season.

However, he believes he can play an even bigger role at the Seahawks, who are expected to deploy a 3-4 defensive scheme, similar to the one which finally brought out his best abilities in his last season with the Chargers.

Nwosu has been assisting the NFL with training prospects in Ghana, with a pool of 49 African players, scouted predominantly by New York Giants legend Osi Umenyiora, congregating at the Right to Dream Academy's soccer venue.

Nigeria has been the most prominent African country in NFL history, with 92 players in the league currently, and Nwosu, who was born in Carson, California, expressed pride in his heritage.

keasley45

Reaction score
Have a feeling this kid is going to be a lightning rod difference maker in our defense. He's on a mission, on and off the field and carries with him not just a chip, but the duty to be a standard setting role model for a new pool of players coming out of Africa.

Love it!

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Hopefully he can still get a sack every three games or so without a BOSA on the other end of the line.

i have no problem with this signing if it was your 3rd or 4th best player signed. But this is your highlight signing? That’s sad.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
I like his spirit and appreciated seeing the video. (He threw that ball pretty good too).

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Hopefully he can still get a sack every three games or so without a BOSA on the other end of the line.

i have no problem with this signing if it was your 3rd or 4th best player signed. But this is your highlight signing? That’s sad.
Jesus Christ, dude. Just give something other than relentless pessimism a shot here and there.

He's not gonna be a down lineman rushing every play. That's kind of the point.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Jesus Christ, dude. Just give something other than relentless pessimism a shot here and there.

He's not gonna be a down lineman rushing every play. That's kind of the point.
So how many sacks do you expect from him after a career high …checks one hand . . . Five sacks in one year?

like I said. No issue with him or the signing. Hope he does well. Just should have been our third best signing.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So how many sacks do you expect from him after a career high …checks one hand . . . Five sacks in one year?

like I said. No issue with him or the signing. Hope he does well. Just should have been our third best signing.
Meh. Not the year to blow their wad on free agency guys. Bad thing to do at the outset of a light rebuild. They ain't winning shit this year, postseason wise.

Nwosu, I like, because there's upside there and they need a true versatile 3-4 OLB.

I'm not going to judge his season by sack total. He's going to play like 50% of the snaps and needs to be able to drop, too. That's what this whole Fangio shit is built on - being able to disguise pressure and coverage.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Its nice to have the inside scoop on the talent pool from an entire continent.

keasley45

Reaction score

Same talk when we brought in Chris Clemons. How'd that work out? Clem had 7...combined... over the prior two seasons with Philly before tallying 11 his first year with us.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Playing time and team roles are earned in Seattle.

The team has now got a good number of potentially good edge rushers, so Nwosu will need to show he deserves the job.

I hope he does and is steadily challenged for the spot, by Taylor, Mafe, and a couple of others. This competition will be interesting to watch.

sutz

Reaction score
Well, that is essentially why he was brought in.

chrispy

Reaction score
DLinemen in Seattle are much more successful when they bring some flexibility. Proficiency in containing the run and dropping into coverage add more value than a couple sacks/yr. "Bigger role," to me, sounds like he wants to show he can play more than 3rd and long. A Pete Carroll TCamp will allow enough competition to sink/swim.

Bennett and Avril and Clemons all did multiple things well. They were all also smart enough to recognize the situation. Good players with upside potential are always a good thing.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Dude is a baller I’m sure he’ll start right off the bat with Taylor on the other side

BASF

Reaction score
I can imagine all of the Packers fans that had misgivings about the signing of the two Smiths three seasons ago. The pairing of the two transformed that defense and have majorly contributed to the most wins in a three year span in that storied franchise's history.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I can't speak to his pro career, but at USC Chenna had a habit of making a big play when it was most needed. He was a fan favorite. I hope he balls out in Seattle.