Report: Seahawks suspect Wilson wants to play for other team

lukerguy

Reaction score
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1756959/report-seahawks-suspect-wilson-wants-to-play-elsewhere

The Seattle Seahawks sense Pro Bowl quarterback Russell Wilson wants to play for another team, a league source told Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.

Seattle also believes Wilson's unspoken desire to move on has led him to take a harder stance during contract negotiations, according to Florio.

Wilson, who's spent his entire career in Seattle, previously gave the Seahawks an April 15 deadline to complete an extension.

Rumors throughout the offseason have linked Wilson to the New York Giants. No credible reports have substantiated that speculation, though Kansas City Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu seems to believe Wilson does indeed have his sights set on the Big Apple.

Tyrann Mathieu

@Mathieu_Era
Russ wants New York. But you ain’t heard that from T..

ProFootballTalk

@ProFootballTalk
As his April 15 deadline looms, it's fair to wonder whether Russell Wilson actually wants to stay with the Seahawks (because the Seahawks are wondering whether he doesn't) https://wp.me/p14QSB-aX1s

11:19 PM - Apr 13, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
551 people are talking about this
Wilson has one year left on his current deal with Seattle but the team could use the franchise tag to keep him off the open market once it expires.

The 30-year-old pivot has earned six Pro Bowl selections in seven years with the Seahawks and led the club to a championship in Super Bowl XLVIII. Seattle has made the playoffs in all but one season since selecting Wilson out of Wisconsin in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft.

Wilson threw for 3,448 yards with 35 touchdowns and seven interceptions last season

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Pete’s system is proven and it works but it’s not for most. With the right cast, all bought in, we’ve seen what it can do. We’d better get the haul of the century. Don’t think Pete’s changing Philosophy any time soon. Russ is actually a good fit and n NY, but he’s a great fit in Pete’s system, we’ll see.

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
So after being treated like just another cog in the wheel for 3 years, a pro bowl QB wants a team that will likely protect him and utilize all his talents. Shocking. We lost the playoff game against the Cowboys because of poor, 4th qtr. play calling. We lost a Super Bowl that way too. Loyalty goes both ways. If I was Wilson, I’d run; but not on the Seahawks’ playing field. If we lose him, I won’t give up my season tickets, but I will sell them. I’m sick of this sh*t. They got the running game back together and that’s great. But I can’t take another season of the frustration of knowing how good we could be on offense if the head coach and coordinator would simply use common sense. Everyone sees it, they know it and somehow it gets lost in the hoopla of the defense and the maneuverings of the coaching staff and front office.

toffee

Reaction score
Giant? May be the LA Charger will do a Rivers + picks for Wilson? LA has Hollywood and nicer weather; Charger has way better roster than Giants. Rivers could offer Hawks time to find and develop that next Wilson, but wait, Hawks could just keep Wilson.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'd imagine he wants to play in NY. However, with what Oakland has done, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gruden overpay massively for WIlson both in contract and trade- Carr, 4th overall, 1st next.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
There sure is a lot of smoke around this rumor. Concerning.

That said, this forum is way more interesting when there is a full blown QB controversy.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Is Seattle that awful a place that everyone wants out? I m perplexed. You never hear Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay and that’s a pretty small market frozen wasteland.

I can’t see how this is really true. Successful franchise, dedicated to winning, stable ownership and FO. Why would someone leave unless he’s eyeing the Michael Strahan career post football.

uncle fester

Reaction score
The exact same style of bravado was being exerted last time Russ’s contract was being negotiated in 2015. The same culprit: Mark Rodgers. Russ’s agent.

This, from an NBC article at the time -

Rodgers had put a Friday deadline to get a deal done, stating talks would be cut off and Wilson would become a free agent next season.

If no new contract was signed, Wilson faced being tagged as the franchise player next February

Source

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/nfl ... n-seahawks

There’s a familiarity to this headline-making, wouldn’t you say?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Nothing new here. New York theory has been around for a couple of months. Russ and Ciara both like NY - big stage for both, big media, big endorsements, etc...

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
If Russ leaves, do not sign Wagner or Clark. Start the rebuild right now and prepare for the future. Russ has elevated everyone around him including his coaches. Everyone can enjoy the 8-8 seasons until Carroll and Shotty retire or get kicked to the curb.

kobebryant

Reaction score
bevellisthedevil":17g2s8sg said:
If Russ leaves, do not sign Wagner or Clark. Start the rebuild right now and prepare for the future. Russ has elevated everyone around him including his coaches. Everyone can enjoy the 8-8 seasons until Carroll and Shotty retire or get kicked to the curb.

Why not Clark? I would think a 25 year old pass rusher with a career trajectory pointing way up is the exact type of asset you’d want to prepare for the future with.

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
kobebryant":1idott8u said:
Why not Clark? I would think a 25 year old pass rusher with a career trajectory pointing way up is the exact type of asset you’d want to prepare for the future with.

He had a great year last year. He wants Lawrence money. I'm just saying if you lose Wilson, there is no reason to sink money into any player that once you are competing for a championship he will be in decline.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Typical behavior from his agent Mark Rodgers who is leaking this shit to get leverage.
Agents, especially baseball agents pull this move all of the time, Mark Rodgers is primarily a baseball agent.

knownone

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2iuf08r0 said:
Is Seattle that awful a place that everyone wants out? I m perplexed. You never hear Aaron Rodgers wants out of Green Bay and that’s a pretty small market frozen wasteland.

I can’t see how this is really true. Successful franchise, dedicated to winning, stable ownership and FO. Why would someone leave unless he’s eyeing the Michael Strahan career post football.
If the rumors are true I don’t think Seattle is the problem. Wilson just seems like a guy who wants to be in New York. He idolized Jeter growing up. He asked for a trade so he could attend spring training with the Yankees. His camp leaked the New York rumors...

This could all be a negotiating tactic, but it certainly seems more like Russell’s true intention.

summesm

Reaction score
glad2bdada3":u0mhtiya said:
So after being treated like just another cog in the wheel for 3 years, a pro bowl QB wants a team that will likely protect him and utilize all his talents. Shocking. We lost the playoff game against the Cowboys because of poor, 4th qtr. play calling. We lost a Super Bowl that way too. Loyalty goes both ways. If I was Wilson, I’d run; but not on the Seahawks’ playing field. If we lose him, I won’t give up my season tickets, but I will sell them. I’m sick of this sh*t. They got the running game back together and that’s great. But I can’t take another season of the frustration of knowing how good we could be on offense if the head coach and coordinator would simply use common sense. Everyone sees it, they know it and somehow it gets lost in the hoopla of the defense and the maneuverings of the coaching staff and front office.
Well said and I agree .

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3dg688fd said:

It's not personal, Seattle (the city) is to taste.

For some people, it's great.

For others, the isolated location, weather, etc. are not their cup of tea.

If (and obviously thats a big if) that's true of Russ....or even if he loves Seattle but he and his wife would rather the limelight of NY, then it is what it is.

Interesting that after all this teeth knashing about what Pete and crew should do with Russ, it may not come down to what they want at all. If he wants out, then lets get the best haul possible and focus on re-tooling for a new run.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
Russ posted a tweet from a prosperity gospel preacher (I think TD Jakes but I’m not sure ), and it was about taking courage to be rich, famous , powerful.. etc.

I believe Russ is being his true self to seek in a word, MORE. If he believes his true brand and riches are limited in Seattle and elevated in NY, he will execute his plan. He will. There’s no denying his scope of brand is greater in NY so if that’s the case, then Russ will be a Giant.

Be prepared that Seattle is Ashton, and Ciara is the big apple. Russ will get what he want a y’all better hope he doesn’t believe that or it’s already done.

Largent80

Reaction score
This is totally normal to see these articles. People want you to click the link, they :roll: get paid for the clicks.

The reality is Seattle basically has 3 years of control over Russell Wilson.

John63

Reaction score
glad2bdada3":eaeaw2p7 said:

I agree with you, but still not convinced all this rumor Rama is true.