Report: Seahawks suspect Wilson wants to play for other team

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
Popeyejones":o1obnhra said:
Most importantly I DON'T think this is true, but if it is true, I think the answer is obvious:

If you're Russell Wilson and you're 30 years old why would you want to be stuck in this offense?

Wilson was 3rd in the NFL in QB rating and the Seahawks were last in the NFL in pass attempts per game.

Everyone else down in the bottom for pass attempts is running a lot because their QBs suck. The Seahawks are doing it as a matter of philosophy. Wilson's rating is nearly 20 points higher than two of the other guys in the bottom five for pass attempts, and more than 40 points higher than the other two. That's insane. Two guys with QB ratings in the 60s got to take more pass attempts per game than Wilson last year. :D

While the rest of the NFL is incorporating air raid schemes to make their mediocre QBs look very good, you're running stone age passing concepts when you're even allowed to throw. Why would any wildly talented QB want to spend their last prime years just handing the ball off over and over again?

Again, I think he stays, but if he wants to go that's the answer IMO.

_————————————-

Man.......you’re killin’ me. You’ve ruined my self-pity and self-righteous indignation with facts. You shouldn’t do that to people. I’ve gone from simple uninformed anger and frustration based on what I was observing on the football field to a clear understanding that “IT’S NOT JUST ME!” You’ve given me reason to abandon self-abasement. I should be thanking you but it just doesn’t feel right. (I like to use words with hyphens) I’ll be going out to Thriftway now to get a quart of Hagen-Daez (see) Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream and the family size bag of Double Stuff Oreos. Thanks a lot for f*ckin’ up my diet. And just so you know, I’ll be washin’ those cookies down with a quart of Half n’ Half. Here’s to my XXXXL Janikowski Jersey........same size he wears.....opps......wore.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I've been saying this all year, and been shouted down routinely because of it.

Wilson has always had an outsized expectation of himself. He almost seemed narcissistic in how he believed in his ability to achieve despite conventional wisdom. What kind of rookie gives a press conference where he believes he can take his team to the Super Bowl the next year?

Now, contrast one of the better and more exciting QBs in the league with his usage numbers.

I always felt that Wilson was going to be having people whispering in his ear, telling him he needs to get out of here. Because if I knew the guy, I would be telling him that too!

How can you be a All Everything QB and only pass for 50 yds in a half?

Well, you deal with it because Pete is a winning coach. But the thing is, we are not winning enough to justify what we are asking Wilson to put up with.

Pete's plan is great for a few extra regular season wins, but it comes at a cost to Wilson himself. He only gets to be 1/5 the QB he can be. And consequently, someone with that big of an expectation of themselves is going to have to chafe at that.

If he has to endure 200 yd passing games AND barely gets to sniff the playoffs? Then why bother?

$40M or even $50M might seem like it would ease the pain but these are people that spent their whole lives training to be the best of the best. This is how they measure themselves in many instances. QBs like that are not going to be happy with 200yd games when they know they can do 350. They aren't going to be happy with getting outshone by Dak Prescott because our coach is trying to be the 2nd coming of Chuck Knox.

I don't think it is NY that is the draw. It is the ability to be the best QB he can be and that is clearly not going to be here. He probably expects more from himself and does not see his ability to produce will get the window here.

Everything about Wilson's personality, besides his loyalty, says he should want to leave here. No surprise all the whispers he does?

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Yes, the clarity of the last two posts(Popeyejones +glad2bdada3) were; well, really clear. This is how I've been seeing it too. Unimaginative run, run up the middle of the field over and over.

Here's a philosophy for Pete and the offensive coordinator: Hand the keys to Russell Wilson and watch from the sidelines as you win another Super Bowl.

Largent80

Reaction score
I've been saying all year that it's spring and birds are chirping and bugs are biting and snakes are coming out.

knownone

Reaction score
I see many people saying Seattle is holding Wilson back when we have zero evidence of what he'd look like outside of Seattle and Pete's system.

Why are we assuming he'd be a better player outside of Seattle without at least considering the possibility that the opposite is true? What if Seattle is the best situation for Wilson?

Russell is a great player, but he has played his entire career with an elite defensive coach, and he's never played on a team without a top 15 defense. In 6 of his 8 season he had a top 5 defense.

I know Wilson played behind bad offensive lines, but is performing behind a bad offensive line indicative of anything? Phillip Rivers played behind the 3rd worst offensive line in football last year. He had statistically one of the best seasons of his career, his team made the playoffs. Rivers is an interesting case study because his time until pressured is less than Wilson, yet his sack% is only 5.8% and Wilson's is 10.7%. In other words, a QB with no mobility who has pressure in his face at a higher frequency is significantly better at avoiding sacks.

He may have the skill set to play in a pass heavy system and put up gaudy numbers, but that doesn't necessarily translate to team success. For all we know Wilson is a more mobile version of Matt Stafford outside of Pete's system... so lets stop pretending like we know for sure that Seattle is holding him back.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
knownone":13fwdow4 said:
I see many people saying Seattle is holding Wilson back when we have zero evidence of what he'd look like outside of Seattle and Pete's system.

Why are we assuming he'd be a better player outside of Seattle without at least considering the possibility that the opposite is true? What if Seattle is the best situation for Wilson?

Russell is a great player, but he has played his entire career with an elite defensive coach, and he's never played on a team without a top 15 defense. In 6 of his 8 season he had a top 5 defense.

I know Wilson played behind bad offensive lines, but is performing behind a bad offensive line indicative of anything? Phillip Rivers played behind the 3rd worst offensive line in football last year. He had statistically one of the best seasons of his career, his team made the playoffs. Rivers is an interesting case study because his time until pressured is less than Wilson, yet his sack% is only 5.8% and Wilson's is 10.7%. In other words, a QB with no mobility who has pressure in his face at a higher frequency is significantly better at avoiding sacks.

He may have the skill set to play in a pass heavy system and put up gaudy numbers, but that doesn't necessarily translate to team success. For all we know Wilson is a more mobile version of Matt Stafford outside of Pete's system... so lets stop pretending like we know for sure that Seattle is holding him back.

Russ is doing exactly what Pete wants him to do, protect the ball, so he hesitates instead of just cutting loose, Rivers has a LOT more freedom to just sling it...That would drive Pete nutz.
Imagine what Wilson could do with Offensive minded coaches like Chuck Gruden, or Andy Reid.

knownone

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2kixaa4x said:
knownone":2kixaa4x said:

Russ is doing exactly what Pete wants him to do, protect the ball, so he hesitates instead of just cutting loose, Rivers has a LOT more freedom to just sling it...That would drive Pete nutz.
Imagine what Wilson could do with Offensive minded coaches like Chuck Gruden, or Andy Reid.
This is what I am talking about though. How do you know any of this to be true? It's one thing to believe that Wilson could be better outside Pete's system. It's another thing to assume he would be better.

We don't know why Russ hesitates or even if he's hesitating. We don't know how much more freedom Rivers has than Wilson. Those are just assumptions based on observations. They have their place in the conversation, but what troubles me is when people use these types of assumptions as evidence when there is literally no concrete evidence that supports the assumption.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Best thing I heard all day.

Pay your elite QB $35 million and he'll cover up the deficiencies of players around him.
or
Pay any QB $20 million and cover up his deficiencies with $25 million worth of skill position players.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I'm so torn by this. Damnit, why couldn't he be a true team player, more concerned with rings than a couple more $$'s. Ala Tom frickin' Brady. I love Russ, but my opinion of him is declining rapidly. I'm more leaning to if we can get a blockbuster draft pick deal for him to restock the team, and then hopefully roll the dice and actually come up with a decent future franchise qb, then I'm game (MASSIVE "IF", of course). Rebuild the D, get a RB and go from there. If we pay Russ what he's greedily looking for, we're not gonna sniff another SB while he's still here. JMHO. And if we do trade him, trade him to a lower-tier AFC team. Yeah, then I'd be all over it. I think the roll the dice option has a greater chance of getting another ring than relying on practically Russ alone to do it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
knownone":1nti5wji said:
scutterhawk":1nti5wji said:
knownone":1nti5wji said:

This is what I am talking about though. How do you know any of this to be true? It's one thing to believe that Wilson could be better outside Pete's system. It's another thing to assume he would be better.

We don't know why Russ hesitates or even if he's hesitating. We don't know how much more freedom Rivers has than Wilson. Those are just assumptions based on observations. They have their place in the conversation, but what troubles me is when people use these types of assumptions as evidence when there is literally no concrete evidence that supports the assumption.
Just as there is no concrete evidence to lend a lot of support for your notion, that he wouldn't flourish, but I do know that Wilson has adjusted his play to fit whatever schemes that's been thrown at him, I also am pretty confident that he could have gained even more success under a Quarterbacks Coach than he has under Cable/Bevell.
Hell, even with all World Sucky O-Line, he's managed to take chicken shit and make chicken salad.
One can only imagine what he could have done if he'd have had Mike Holmgren's 2005 O-Line....Hell, just imagine if both he & Lynch had that line to play behind.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
TheHawkster":2k1zgjzo said:

Pay your elite QB $35 million and he'll cover up the deficiencies of players around him.
or
Pay any QB $20 million and cover up his deficiencies with $25 million worth of skill position players.

What if you pay your QB 35 million and he can't cover up the deficiencies of the players around him?

This is the dilema facing the hawks. Is he good enough to do so? Is any QB good enough to make up for the fact that a huge percentage of the team's salary is allocated to him?

It's a tough call.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawkpower":30xmlmr2 said:
TheHawkster":30xmlmr2 said:

or

What if you pay your QB 35 million and he can't cover up the deficiencies of the players around him?

This is the dilema facing the hawks. Is he good enough to do so? Is any QB good enough to make up for the fact that a huge percentage of the team's salary is allocated to him?

It's a tough call.
Not to sound flip, but I don’t think it’s not a tough call at all. Pay the man and give him the keys to the offense Peyton Manning style.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
So long Russell Wilson.

I actually don't believe this front office pays Wilson, at least, not what Wilson wants.

Can you imagine if Seattle gives Wilson his ultra mega diva contract, and the Seahawks start losing, consecutive games, guarantee players in the locker will point blame at Wilson, 100 percent.

Players will leave after their rookie deals.

A contract this big (what Wilson wants), like it or not, rubs teammates the wrong way.

OP
OP
lukerguy

lukerguy

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1qbhu5w4 said:
How can you be a All Everything QB and only pass for 50 yds in a half?

Well, you deal with it because Pete is a winning coach. But the thing is, we are not winning enough to justify what we are asking Wilson to put up with.

Pete's plan is great for a few extra regular season wins, but it comes at a cost to Wilson himself. He only gets to be 1/5 the QB he can be. And consequently, someone with that big of an expectation of themselves is going to have to chafe at that.

If he has to endure 200 yd passing games AND barely gets to sniff the playoffs? Then why bother?

In 2017 he made more pass attempts than half of the league. The Hawks went hardcore run this year, and it worked. His stats were better than ever to boot. I believe it has something to do with the stage, fame, riches, not the stats. NY gives him in a word, MORE.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ottwruq8 said:
Hawkpower":ottwruq8 said:
TheHawkster":ottwruq8 said:

or

It's a tough call.
Not to sound flip, but I don’t think it’s not a tough call at all. Pay the man and give him the keys to the offense Peyton Manning style.

But hes not Peyton Manning....

AirStrike

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2neoex6b said:
Sports Hernia":2neoex6b said:
Hawkpower":2neoex6b said:
TheHawkster":2neoex6b said:

or

It's a tough call.

But hes not Peyton Manning....

Has he ever been given autonomy though? That's the problem here, put the game in his hands instead of pounding the football. Aside from the goal line in the Superbowl which was absurd, let him win us some games with his arm and his mind.