Re-Sign Lynch Now

Jeremy517

Reaction score
dunceface":43ia8elg said:
Like someone said on the first page he is set to make 7.5 mil next year which we would never pay because even for Lynch that is way up there.

He would make $7MM next year ($5MM salary, $2MM roster bonus).

You say we wouldn't pay him that much, but guess what we're paying him this year: $6.5MM. To say we're unwilling to pay him $500k more than this year is silly.

With no sign of slowdown, with the big regression in the passing game this year, with the cap increases coming over the next two years, and with the Harvin cap hit for next year being roughly $5MM less than anticipated, there is a very good chance he'll be back.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Jeremy517":hwz8lh8p said:
dunceface":hwz8lh8p said:
Like someone said on the first page he is set to make 7.5 mil next year which we would never pay because even for Lynch that is way up there.

You say we wouldn't pay him that much, but guess what we're paying him this year: $6.5MM. To say we're unwilling to pay him $500k more than this year is silly.

With no sign of slowdown, with the big regression in the passing game this year, with the cap increases coming over the next two years, and with the Harvin cap hit for next year being roughly $5MM less than anticipated, there is a very good chance he'll be back.

The goal of the FO is not to wait for the slowdown to happen before cutting him. The goal is to forecast a slowdown and cut ties before he is sitting on the bench or average 2.5YPC and $8 million dollars.

It's ok to be wrong, sometimes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2ifphb6b said:
He is due a $5 million base salary plus a $2 million roster bonus. That is the same $7 million he made in 2013 and close to the $6.5 million he is making this season. His overall cap hit, including signing bonus, will be No. 5 in the NFL, which seems more than fair.

Fair is in the eye of the beholder.

My guess is Marshawn and his agent see him as either THE top RB in the league, or top 2-3. So if you're Lynch who's proven that he still is one of the top 2-3 healthy and productive RB's in the league, is making almost half of what the top RB makes for one year with no extension acceptable?

The answer is no if you're Marshawn and his agent.

Bottom line, just being a top 5 paid RB when you consider yourself top 2-3 with that big of a disparity between #1 and #5 is not going to fly........especially in the last year of your contract. Lynch is 28 and still has one big contract left in him, and he's going to fight to get it..........and IMO he will get it because someone's going to gamble on him.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2w7s9i16 said:
The goal of the FO is not to wait for the slowdown to happen before cutting him. The goal is to forecast a slowdown and cut ties before he is sitting on the bench or average 2.5YPC and $8 million dollars.

He only has one more year on his deal, so it can never be that big of a mistake to keep him (if he has shown no signs of slowing down; there are usually hints of RB slow downs). We're not talking about giving him a new deal, but rather just letting him play out his existing deal.

The loss of championship equity by cutting him and being wrong is far greater than the gain in championship equity by cutting him and being right.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pf9wm5u said:
hawknation2014":3pf9wm5u said:
He is due a $5 million base salary plus a $2 million roster bonus. That is the same $7 million he made in 2013 and close to the $6.5 million he is making this season. His overall cap hit, including signing bonus, will be No. 5 in the NFL, which seems more than fair.

Fair is in the eye of the beholder.

My guess is Marshawn and his agent see him as either THE top RB in the league, or top 2-3. So if you're Lynch who's proven that he still is one of the top 2-3 healthy and productive RB's in the league, is making almost half of what the top RB makes for one year with no extension acceptable?

The answer is no if you're Marshawn and his agent.

Bottom line, just being a top 5 paid RB when you consider yourself top 2-3 with that big of a disparity between #1 and #5 is not going to fly........especially in the last year of your contract. Lynch is 28 and still has one big contract left in him, and he's going to fight to get it..........and IMO he will get it because someone's going to gamble on him.

True, I meant more than fair to the Seahawks. He very well could hold out again to add another ~$500,000 to next year's salary and maybe get a two-year extension on top of it. In fact, I would expect that to happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":17ssqy0y said:
True, I meant more than fair to the Seahawks. He very well could hold out again to add another ~$500,000 to next year's salary and maybe get a two-year extension on top of it. In fact, I would expect that to happen.

I think it'll be much more than that. I could easily see a team with a bunch of cap room giving Lynch a monster deal in the 9-11M a year range. You're telling me teams with a bunch of cap room wouldn't want to give Lynch 10M a year for 3-5 years?

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3l7i9ozg said:
hawknation2014":3l7i9ozg said:

I think it'll be much more than that. I could easily see a team with a bunch of cap room giving Lynch a monster deal in the 9-11M a year range. You're telling me teams with a bunch of cap room wouldn't want to give Lynch 10M a year for 3-5 years?

That would require him to test free agency, which means having no guaranteed money after next season. I don't think either Lynch or the Seahawks will allow that to happen.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Jeremy517":224htx8a said:
SonicHawk":224htx8a said:

He only has one more year on his deal, so it can never be that big of a mistake to keep him (if he has shown no signs of slowing down; there are usually hints of RB slow downs). We're not talking about giving him a new deal, but rather just letting him play out his existing deal.

The loss of championship equity by cutting him and being wrong is far greater than the gain in championship equity by cutting him and being right.

You say that now, as he rushes for 190 yards all of next season.

Hey, I hope Lynch is here next year and he's as good as he was yesterday as much as the next guy.

dunceface

Reaction score
Jeremy517":1jrci9aj said:
dunceface":1jrci9aj said:

Good point, didn't really think about it that way.
Either way I want him here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2m9umbwr said:
Sgt. Largent":2m9umbwr said:
hawknation2014":2m9umbwr said:

That would require him to test free agency, which means having no guaranteed money after next season. I don't think either Lynch or the Seahawks will allow that to happen.

No I don't think it would require him to test free agency, that'd mean we'd cut him or he'd play out the last year of his deal. Neither will happen.

We'll either agree with Lynch on an extension, or he demands a trade to a team that will give him a new deal, and we get the dreaded "conditional pick."

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ltzbt06 said:
hawknation2014":2ltzbt06 said:
Sgt. Largent":2ltzbt06 said:
hawknation2014":2ltzbt06 said:

No I don't think it would require him to test free agency, that'd mean we'd cut him or he'd play out the last year of his deal. Neither will happen.

We'll either agree with Lynch on an extension, or he demands a trade to a team that will give him a new deal, and we get the dreaded "conditional pick."

He will have practically no leverage to demand such a thing, and I don't think we would ever trade him. If he holds out through training camp, we would just continue fining him. I also can't imagine him sitting out games in his prime.

Lynch will exchange some guaranteed money for the security of adding years to his deal, like all 29 year old running backs do.

Tical21

Reaction score
With the lack of a dominant passing game I don't think we have a choice but to make sure he's around next year.

Giblien

Reaction score
Just a few weeks ago, I would have disagreed with you. However, over the past fee games, I think that resigning him to a two-three year deal is a necessetiy. He is the difference (properly utilized) between an average team and a contender.

sign him, sign him, sign him.

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
SonicHawk":vxu9vca1 said:
Jeremy517":vxu9vca1 said:
dunceface":vxu9vca1 said:

So you personally forecast a drop off to 2.5ypc in 2015? That's what you're going with?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1esqffe8 said:
He will have practically no leverage to demand such a thing, and I don't think we would ever trade him. If he holds out through training camp, we would just continue fining him. I also can't imagine him sitting out games in his prime..

He threatened to retire last off season before we gave him more money, what makes you think he wouldn't just leave the game if he doesn't get what he wants next off season?

With Marshawn's personality, I have no doubt he wouldn't just walk away if he doesn't get what he wants.

So the question is what does Lynch want? He's such a weird dude, I don't even think he knows yet what he wants. Which is why this probably won't be resolved til maybe late next summer.

Latest posts