Would you sign here ?

xray

Reaction score
If you were a high end FA , and could get your money anywhere ; would you want to sign with the Hawks , or sign with a team that has a legit chance of contending ? It's probably a given , that with a brand new coaching staff and a rebuild in progress ; the Hawks won't be a contender for 2-3 years at least . Right now , the team has too many unknowns going on , and probably doesn't look like an attractive destination for the best FAs on the market . imo

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
We are a pile of puzzle pieces right now and no one knows what the puzzle will look like or how new players would fit.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Hopefully within a season or two, we will be the envy of the NFL and everyone will want to sign here. It felt that way back during the days of the LOB.

chris98251

Reaction score
It depends on the players mind set, if you want to be part of a special program and it's core and willing to work you want to be here. If your looking for instant gratification you used to go to the Patriots. Players that want a payday don't care win or lose just pay me, it's when they get to like year 5 and they see that the path they are on won't get them a Championship they start looking at the Gold and not the dollar sign as much and hope a team that goes to the Dance wants them.

As the chart shown and the Redskins in the past, paying for the names don't mean you get a Super Bowl, Patriots had a knack of getting guys in on the cheap and winning Championships along with some shrewd drafting for a long time.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Atlanta and Vegas both have new coaches, both had worse records than Seattle last year, and they got two of the biggest free agents on the market this offseason.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If you were a high end FA , and could get your money anywhere ; would you want to sign with the Hawks , or sign with a team that has a legit chance of contending ? It's probably a given , that with a brand new coaching staff and a rebuild in progress ; the Hawks won't be a contender for 2-3 years at least . Right now , the team has too many unknowns going on , and probably doesn't look like an attractive destination for the best FAs on the market . imo
I understand your point but the Falcons, Bears, Cards, and Panthers are not in the mold of contending teams. They are the ones doing the most signings so far.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Hell, for those salaries I would sign in a heart beat. Even a low base salary would be fine with me ;)

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
If i'm a defensive player probably. Any improvement in Seattle's defence this year and your going to look great. I also think defensive scheming will improve with Macdonald and playing to players strengths.

Offense- hard to say. Grubb is unproven at this level and it's mostly new staff.

Smellyman

Reaction score
implying that Seattle has even offered more than ~insert team here~ to a FA you want. they probably haven't.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I really don't understand the distress that people have over the Seahawks not signing FA's and the wild conclusions that "it's because of the staff". Or Mike is not it because we haven't signed anyone! That talk is completely nonsensical.

Want to know the truth? It's going to blow your mind. We haven't signed anyone because we haven't offered them money! Players care about the money first and foremost. Why else do you think FA's are signing onto the worst teams, with the worst cultures in the NFL? Some of these teams being being perennial losers at this point. Money is the ONLY thing that matters in most cases and we aren't offering it up.

Why aren't we offering it up? First and foremost, spending big in the FA has never really been Schneiders MO. He's always preferred to take of our own guys first and foremost that fit the team moving forward (Williams) then from there picking up second tier FAs. Schneider was one of the top ranking executives under Ron Wolfe at GB. Those guys almost never tested the FA waters. Even here in Seattle, we've generally avoided the first round of the FA frenzy and went for more value propositions.

We also have to understand that on paper Seattle has money, but we also have the least amount of players signed in the NFL. We also have the highest dead cap hit of any team aside from the Broncos. We never were going to be major players in the FA this year. The main priority this period was the right the books. Our team was in a horrid position salary cap wise both this year and in the future. That's we designated Jamal Adams as a Pre June 1st cut, rather than shifted that cap hit into the future. That alone should tell you that the FA this year was never was going to be a huge priority.

In addition, many of the players we didn't sign either got huge contracts (Parkinson, Lewis) or were mismatches for the teams new system (Brooks).

The Seahawks not signing FA's has nothing to do with Mike MacDonald's and his staff's reputation. The only thing that really matters in regards to the FA's is overall fit into what the team is trying to do.

This years FA period has all been about setting the teams finances in the future to be able to get a blue chip player should we chose to do it in the future. This team is realistically not going to compete for a SB this year.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
This really isn't going to be that much different than most normal jobs. There are multiple things to balance, not just that total potential dollar amount and perceived championship chances. The most sought after free agents can't "get their money anywhere" if we're talking about getting maximum value. There's a pretty good inverse correlation in how much teams are willing/able to pay to how good they are. Tradeoffs:

What money is guaranteed?

What is the net pay (mostly state/local income taxes)?

Do you like/fit with the coaching staff?

Does your position and playing abilities/style seem like a good fit?

How much potential fun is there on this team (is a lot of winning likely)?

Do you have personal reasons for signing there (family nearby/desirable place to live)?

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
My agent just asked me that question...I'm weighing between that or the line guy at Dutch Bro's. The hotties there have a strong pull.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Atlanta and Vegas both have new coaches, both had worse records than Seattle last year, and they got two of the biggest free agents on the market this offseason.
It's Vegas and Atlanta the cities vs Seattle the city, then, for alot of players. Gotta remember that these are RICH young men. & Alot of them are from the southeast.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
My agent just asked me that question...I'm weighing between that or the line guy at Dutch Bro's. The hotties there have a strong pull.
So weird that you say this 😳. Last night I almost pulled out my phone to record the retarded ass line at that place. I have never spent a dime there because the line is always dumb long. Is their coffee really hittin like that? They are gonna do an expose in 5 years and find out they have been putting cocaine in their drinks 😂

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
So weird that you say this 😳. Last night I almost pulled out my phone to record the retarded ass line at that place. I have never spent a dime there because the line is always dumb long. Is their coffee really hittin like that? They are gonna do an expose in 5 years and find out they have been putting cocaine in their drinks 😂
I've never partook myself...but my 22 yrs old daughter has traded her retirement strategy for big gulp sized beverages from there. Agree on the lines...I wish I owned one.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Knowing that Jerhawk would be rooting for me, I would sign here immediately regardless of the condition of the team.