Re-Sign Lynch Now

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Everyone knows Lynch hasn't missed a step, including Pete..........and I don't think Pete really cares about Lynch's so called attitude.

So the real question is how do we fit a monster new deal for him under the cap with so many players next year getting new deals. Russell, KJ, Wagner, Maxwell, Avril, Irvin, Okung, Sweezy, Carpenter.............all are UFA's or in last year of rookie deals when they can renegotiate.

So if you want Lynch to stay, then some hard choices are going to have to be made about other important extensions.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score

jblaze

Reaction score
Extending ML is crazy. We already have him next year, why not see how that goes before getting ahead of ourselves and possibly seeing a significant decline?

Starting the 2016 season he'll be 30. Why would you sign a RB past 30? Even if ML bucks the trend and continues to be effective, there will eventually be a dropoff. The point is to sell before that hits and not overpay for previous performance.

As much as I love Lynch, he won't even be here next year let alone extending him. PC/JS know more than us, trust in them. The front office knows he won't be here, Lynch knows he won't be here. That's the reason he held out, otherwise why hold out and have money moved from 2015 to 2014 if he's going to be here anyways.

Everyone is letting their emotions get the best of them here. This is a business and players have finite lifecycles.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jblaze":3gp8t2eg said:
We already have him next year, why not see how that goes before getting ahead of ourselves and possibly seeing a significant decline?.

People keep saying this. What makes you think Lynch is going to show up to camp next summer without a new deal?

There's not a chance in hell he plays the last year of his current contract. That's why we gave him an extra 1.5M this year, 500k of that he was suppose to make next year......that was the concession.

jblaze

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1alrz31q said:
jblaze":1alrz31q said:
We already have him next year, why not see how that goes before getting ahead of ourselves and possibly seeing a significant decline?.

People keep saying this. What makes you think Lynch is going to show up to camp next summer without a new deal?

There's not a chance in hell he plays the last year of his current contract. That's why we gave him an extra 1.5M this year, 500k of that he was suppose to make next year......that was the concession.

He'll show up because he's under contract. If he holds out, he loses a lot of money which seems to be his sole motivator at this point per his buddy Robinson. Holding out again does nothing for him, he has no leverage.

He's set to make 7.5m next year which is WAY overpaying for him, he'd be an idiot to not show up. If he gets dropped, his next contract with whomever will be something like 2 yrs/7m, 3.5 gteed (year 1). The RB market is junk right now, they are replaceable and are not focal points in most offenses.

All of this is well documented and understood. Players very rarely play into the last year of their deal and for good reason.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jblaze":uxdzidzw said:
He'll show up because he's under contract. If he holds out, he loses a lot of money which seems to be his sole motivator at this point per his buddy Robinson. Holding out again does nothing for him, he has no leverage.

I can't remember the last time a player actually lost money for holding out.

They either get their new deal, get traded or cut..........and hold out fines miraculously vanish.

Bottom line, if Lynch was willing to hold out this year for more money, he's certainly willing to hold out in his last year when he has even more leverage. He's either going to get a new monster deal here, or get traded to somewhere where they give him a new deal.

jblaze

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kntkm47 said:
jblaze":2kntkm47 said:

I can't remember the last time a player actually lost money for holding out.

They either get their new deal, get traded or cut..........and hold out fines miraculously vanish.

Bottom line, if Lynch was willing to hold out this year for more money, he's certainly willing to hold out in his last year when he has even more leverage. He's either going to get a new monster deal here, or get traded to somewhere where they give him a new deal.

He does not have more leverage next year, he had very little this year and none next. He actually got very few "concessions" compared to what he wanted and that's because the team was holding the cards. Hold outs are not always beneficial to the player and especially when your worth is most to the current team you're on as opposed to a passing type of offense on another team. No team would ever sign him to a contract where he'd make more money there than he would here playing out his contract and thus he'd stay if he could, but he won't. This is all without pointing out the fact that he'll be 29 next year and he's been in the league a long time and taken quite a punishment.

These contracts are planned out 2-3 years in the future as this has been by the front office. This is standard operating procedure for the NFL, he was never going to play out his contract here as that rarely happens nowadays beyond paid out gteed money. I'm sure he'd love to get 7.5m next year if he could but it's moot, he's getting cut and that's common knowledge regardless of any perceived attitude problems. It's about money and the cap.

Extending ML would be foolish. There is a 0% chance that happens, our front office thinks with their head, not their heart and rightly so.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Unfortunately with the cap, I think he's gone but maybe they can find a way for him to play out his remaining contract. I just don't see his replacement on the roster and we all know what happens to this team when we can't run the ball.

If we consider the SB window open right now, I hope they find a way to make it happen.

nanomoz

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":wxye6raj said:
nbk35zw":wxye6raj said:
Just asking the FO to extend Lynch. I am unsure many on this board appreciate how excellent Lynch is.

I do not see a talent drop off for Lynch soon.

If you rather, we can discuss how the 7-1 cards are frauds.

There is literally not one scenario in which a team should extend a running back past age 29 while he's 28. People always think that their favorites are going to keep being awesome forever, but the running back wall is a very, very consistent thing.

As the season wears on, I think more people will side with the OP. So many people take Lynch for granted to such a degree that it absolutely baffles me. No one said to extend him long-term. He's still the soul of this football team and hasn't begun to slow down.

It's true that not many RB's have great production after the age of 30; but Darren Sproles, Corey Dillon, Thomas Jones, Curtis Martin, Ottis Anderson, and Ricky Watters poo on your usage of "literally."

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Let him test the market the re-sign if we can get a good deal.

Chawks1

Reaction score
jblaze":1d02e2ng said:
Sgt. Largent":1d02e2ng said:
jblaze":1d02e2ng said:

He's set to make 7.5m next year which is WAY overpaying for him, he'd be an idiot to not show up. If he gets dropped, his next contract with whomever will be something like 2 yrs/7m, 3.5 gteed (year 1). The RB market is junk right now, they are replaceable and are not focal points in most offenses.

All of this is well documented and understood. Players very rarely play into the last year of their deal and for good reason.

He won't play the last year of the contract. It's dummy money. None of it is guaranteed. And he counts only $5 million plus another $2 million in roster bonus . If he held out this year because there was little guarantee, why will he show up next year. If we want him to finish the contract then the team needs to guarantee a lot of his salary. This offense does not move without him.

Pandionidae

Reaction score
fire_marshall_bill":7b4deeq8 said:
Don't give him any more guaranteed money. Running backs usually really fade around 28-30 and he's 28.

You must watch sports center. That is an awesome analysis.
:sarcasm_on:

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
It'll come down to if lynch is willing to take a pay cut next year. If he doesn't then he'll be cut. If he does then they'll sign him for two years as an act of good faith.

If the seahawks keep him at his current salary next year there is no fricken way Lynch will be holding out. He would make more next year at his current salary than he would in two years somewhere else.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I am just baffled at all the people who want to extend Lynch when he is already signed through the next season.
We have this year, and all of next year. There's a lot that can happen in that time.
If indeed he's set to make $7.5M next year, Lynch would be a fool to hold out. Nobody else will pay him that as a 29-30 year old.

I feel the same way about Lynch the player as everyone else; he's been our MVP so far this season. Let's not confuse emotions about Lynch the player with sensible courses of action as a GM.*
There's just no sensible reason right now to do anything but to continue to feed the beast and deal with personnel and contract issues after the season for Lynch.

* Pete got overly in love with the idea of Percy Harvin and used flawed logic to justify an emotional decision and sucked JS into making a really dumb deal for Percy. Let's love Lynch this year (and hopefully next) and see what happens without doing anything that will be both unnecessary and dumb in hindsight.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Chawks1":37pkierk said:
jblaze":37pkierk said:
Sgt. Largent":37pkierk said:
jblaze":37pkierk said:

He won't play the last year of the contract. It's dummy money. None of it is guaranteed. And he counts only $5 million plus another $2 million in roster bonus . If he held out this year because there was little guarantee, why will he show up next year. If we want him to finish the contract then the team needs to guarantee a lot of his salary. This offense does not move without him.
i think you are confusing things. If lynch is on the team next year, his salary is guaranteed for the whole season. There isn't a hold out scenario where lynch wants more guaranteed money. When training camp comes around Lynch will either be in seahawk blue and making his money or have been cut in June or before.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2mnmkm2r said:
No.
<snip>
-----------------------------------------
I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

Nice! You are the first selection to my all-signature team. Sorta like the all-Madden team, except without factoring in how dirty your uni gets.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Pandionidae":21182mln said:
fire_marshall_bill":21182mln said:
Don't give him any more guaranteed money. Running backs usually really fade around 28-30 and he's 28.

He states something that has been shown to consistently happen and you make fun of him for it? Instead of a smart $$$ remark why not prove him wrong? What does past history say about RBs 28-30?

olyfan63

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1kfaqq9u said:
Pandionidae":1kfaqq9u said:
fire_marshall_bill":1kfaqq9u said:

He states something that has been shown to consistently happen and you make fun of him for it? Instead of a smart $$$ remark why not prove him wrong? What does past history say about RBs 28-30?

Oh, get down off your high horse!
<sarcasm>
At age 29 and 30, right after his MVP season at age 28, Seattle paid Shaun Alexander like the talent he was, $15mil per season, and Shaun continued to light up the NFL at age 29 and 30 and earn his money.

Right? I mean, just look it up on Wikipedia and do the math. I mean, 5.1 yards per carry in his MVP season of 2005, and still got 3.5 yards per carry both seasons after that. What more could you want from a 29 year old back?

Year/Games/Rush Att/Rush Yds/Avg Yds per Carry
2005 16 16 370 1,880 5.1
2006 10 10 252 896 3.6
2007 13 10 207 716 3.5
2008 4 0 11 24 2.2

And by age 31, in 2008, Shaun was still lighting it up (for the Redskins) at 2.2 yards per carry!
Anyway, by the evidence and logic, Seattle should lock up Lynch for those extra-productive age 29 and 30 years.
</sarcasm>

HawkWow

Reaction score
olyfan63":13gjznwj said:
I am just baffled at all the people who want to extend Lynch when he is already signed through the next season.
We have this year, and all of next year. There's a lot that can happen in that time.
If indeed he's set to make $7.5M next year, Lynch would be a fool to hold out. Nobody else will pay him that as a 29-30 year old.

I feel the same way about Lynch the player as everyone else; he's been our MVP so far this season. Let's not confuse emotions about Lynch the player with sensible courses of action as a GM.*
There's just no sensible reason right now to do anything but to continue to feed the beast and deal with personnel and contract issues after the season for Lynch.

* Pete got overly in love with the idea of Percy Harvin and used flawed logic to justify an emotional decision and sucked JS into making a really dumb deal for Percy. Let's love Lynch this year (and hopefully next) and see what happens without doing anything that will be both unnecessary and dumb in hindsight.

I read this and thought it was me that wrote it.

Welcome to the .net 1% club, bro. ; )

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawkWow":1iyf668v said:
olyfan63":1iyf668v said:

I read this and thought it was me that wrote it.

Welcome to the .net 1% club, bro. ; )

Hey man, good to see you now that I'm up there with you! It's never lonely at the top, bro, cuz I'm keeping track, and I'm pretty sure about half of us here at .NET are in the 1% now, at least by our own self-evaluation ;-)