Re-Sign Lynch Now

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Lynch became my favorite player when he got here from the Bills. I didn't know too much about him but damn I loved his running style. It was something about it that made you just think he would be a special player with our team. So I ended up checking out his highlight videos when he was playing with the Bills, and his college highlights and I could see that he would be a force to be reckon with. I want him to retire with us, and he's got the drive to at least play for 2 more years. Age won't stop him, he's got an insane training regiment and always come to training camp in shape, and sometimes even better shape than the year before. There's a reason he's faster and stronger than the year before. Everyone was scared that he might pull a Shaun Alexander when he got extended. He plays hard 200%, when he has the ball he will give you that. We have him sign for next year, and in 2016 I hope he takes a lower payment to retire with the team. This is my wish of course but that's because I have an emotional tie with him. There is no quit in him, so why should we quit on him.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I would let this season play out before I'll jump on that train, but right now it's hard to argue with him being called the teams best player and best chance at moving on in the playoffs (if the team makes it).

OP
OP
N

nbk35zw

Reaction score
I am amazed at how paranoid Shaun Alexander has made us. What, aside from age of potential extension, do Alexander and Lynch have in common. Answer: nothing.

Paying Lynch through 2016 rewards greatness and honors "winning forever".

We could always resign Julius Jones. He would be a cheap replacement, right?

Sport is risk. I am amazed how few of us embrace this concept.

I'm all in.

AVL

Reaction score
I hope they trade him to Oakland with a "This team will not move until after you retire" clause.
Then maybe he will play until 40.

RiverDog

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3jm1qcl3 said:
nbk35zw":3jm1qcl3 said:
Just asking the FO to extend Lynch. I am unsure many on this board appreciate how excellent Lynch is.

I do not see a talent drop off for Lynch soon.

If you rather, we can discuss how the 7-1 cards are frauds.

There is literally not one scenario in which a team should extend a running back past age 29 while he's 28. People always think that their favorites are going to keep being awesome forever, but the running back wall is a very, very consistent thing.

I remember well the debate on Shaun Alexander when some of us brought up the 30 year wall. Many argued that SA was an exception, that his running style was such where he never took the big hit, thus it was reasonable to think that he could maintain his production well into his 30's. The favorite example was Emmitt Smith, who like Gore, was an an exception to the 30 year rule.

But Smith was running behind the best OL in football, perhaps one of the best of all time. Frank Gore is in the same boat, running behind a gaggle of Pro Bowlers and #1 draft choices in front of him. Lynch gets his yards in spite of his OL, not due to it, and all those YAC carries are going to take a toll at some point. Extending a contract beyond Age 30 is never a good idea, unless it is heavily laden with performance incentives.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The first sports science segment I ever saw was on Lynch shortly before we signed him. He ran with the force of a Mack truck or something. I'd just like to see him behind some consistent blocking where the first contact he has to break is not a DL or LB. We know what we have with him. If we can just keep him a little longer and focus on our line the running backs that have to replace him might have better chance at success.

Chawks1

Reaction score
His play today speaks for itself. Enough said. Beastmode all day long.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
One day, hopefully later than sooner, Marshawn and the Seahawks will part ways.

I hope each of us 12s truly appreciates #24 for the enjoyment he brings each and every inch of each and every game he plays.

God bless us....everyone!

pmedic920

Reaction score
You know, for me it's like this.

I LOVE ME SOME BEASTMODE.

Dude has been one of my all time favs. Hope he retires as a Hawk.

I pray we NEVER have to play against him to earn anything. Could you imagine that feeling?

Edit: the whole age thing baffles me too, because he isn't a speed guy any way. ML "lost a step" IMHO won't be THEE issue, ever.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1pfxxsku said:
kearly":1pfxxsku said:
DavidSeven":1pfxxsku said:
He is the best player on this offense right now, and I don't think it's been particularly close. Russell obviously has the upside, but Lynch is the primary reason this offense hasn't sunk yet. I voted him mid-season MVP last week, and my opinion hasn't changed on that.

Seconded. Wilson is in some kind of weird funk. This is the third straight game where he's had significant accuracy issues for at least half the game. Lynch's numbers might not always show it, but he's been a dominating force on a very consistent basis this season. Even in the games where he barely touched the ball, he was looking very good per touch.

I feel like I'm beating the same drum over and over, but mark my words, in a few years we are all gonna hear that what happened this past offseason with Russell and his ex and all that was really eating at him this season and destroying his concentration. Until then everyone will continue to go "oh not that can't be it!"
Possible or it's been the whole Percy/not black enough thing. I believe it may well be one or the other.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Games like today really want me to see the front office to keep Lynch around for a few more years.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Dude... All this talk about age and he is 28 is GARBAGE!!! Look at frank gore... He's doing alright, eh? Saying that he will fizzle out at 29 is like saying a starting pitcher in baseball can't throw 100 pitches. Lynch is the hawks and sign him for whatever it takes!

djb28

Reaction score
hawk45":s6nygnof said:
He's a little high maintenance but I'm not sure I've ever seen a Seahawk try harder play to play than Lynch had through his career. That run today where he was stopped and kept his feet going until the rest of the line had time to get up and push him across the goal line...

I think anyone who is a Star Player will be a little high maintenance. If the team is not willing to deal with that then we will never have a #1 threat WR or RB.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":3i5gl61v said:
Dude... All this talk about age and he is 28 is GARBAGE!!! Look at frank gore... He's doing alright, eh? Saying that he will fizzle out at 29 is like saying a starting pitcher in baseball can't throw 100 pitches. Lynch is the hawks and sign him for whatever it takes!

I can't agree with the "whatever it takes" part.
I love ML and hope he is with us till he's done but not at the cost of "whatever it takes"

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
pmedic920":1fv5s1kk said:
Seahaaaawks":1fv5s1kk said:

I can't agree with the "whatever it takes" part.
I love ML and hope he is with us till he's done but not at the cost of "whatever it takes"

Okay... So that's what we call agreeing to disagree...

dunceface

Reaction score
Like someone said on the first page he is set to make 7.5 mil next year which we would never pay because even for Lynch that is way up there.
So I think our best bet would be to renegotiate a new 2 yr deal for a fair amount which I desperately hope happens. And if we decide to do that we have a leg up because he wouldn't be able to test the market unless we cut him.

#BEASTMODE4LYFE

hawknation2014

Reaction score
dunceface":j1g9210u said:
Like someone said on the first page he is set to make 7.5 mil next year which we would never pay because even for Lynch that is way up there.
So I think our best bet would be to renegotiate a new 2 yr deal for a fair amount which I desperately hope happens. And if we decide to do that we have a leg up because he wouldn't be able to test the market unless we cut him straight up.
#BEASTMODE4LYFE

He is due a $5 million base salary plus a $2 million roster bonus. That is the same $7 million he made in 2013 and close to the $6.5 million he is making this season. His overall cap hit, including signing bonus, will be No. 5 in the NFL, which seems more than fair.

1 Adrian Peterson (30 yo)
$15,400,000

2 LeSean McCoy (27 yo)
$11,950,000

3 Arian Foster (29 yo)
$9,000,000

4 Matt Forte (29 yo)
$8,800,000

5 Marshawn Lynch (29 yo)
$8,500,000

6 Jonathan Stewart (28 yo)
$8,300,000