Re-Sign Lynch Now

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I realize that there are occasional exceptions. You don't do business based on the hope of your guy being an exception; you play the odds, you do it coldly and ruthlessly and allow no personal feelings to enter the situation. If the player wants a big payday after age 29 and can get it elsewhere, you tip your cap to him and wish him well.

Chawks1

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":ruize2kp said:
I realize that there are occasional exceptions. You don't do business based on the hope of your guy being an exception; you play the odds, you do it coldly and ruthlessly and allow no personal feelings to enter the situation. If the player wants a big payday after age 29 and can get it elsewhere, you tip your cap to him and wish him well.

You sign him to an extension to avoid a holdout. That's what will happen if you don't extended in February. His history this summer reflects that. Nothing will rock the boat more than that. Give him front $$$ so there is no drag on the cap space aftr ext year. Worth it.

CHawK247

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":3f0pbs3z said:

If anyone deserves a fair shot to continue their legacy with a Team it's ML. The amount of effort and passion he gives the city and team is unparalleled. You don't just cut the identity of your team coldly because of "odds". Especially when he's proven and has done everything within his power to literally carry us. There's a certain line you don't cross, when you start putting "business" before common sense and loyalty it hurts your football team. ala Tate, Red, and Clemons.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He is the best player on this offense right now, and I don't think it's been particularly close. Russell obviously has the upside, but Lynch is the primary reason this offense hasn't sunk yet. I voted him mid-season MVP last week, and my opinion hasn't changed on that.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":32l1te4i said:
He is the best player on this offense right now, and I don't think it's been particularly close. Russell obviously has the upside, but Lynch is the primary reason this offense hasn't sunk yet. I voted him mid-season MVP last week, and my opinion hasn't changed on that.

Seconded. Wilson is in some kind of weird funk. This is the third straight game where he's had significant accuracy issues for at least half the game. Lynch's numbers might not always show it, but he's been a dominating force on a very consistent basis this season. Even in the games where he barely touched the ball, he was looking very good per touch.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
CHawK247":1o92mx5p said:
If anyone deserves a fair shot to continue their legacy with a Team it's ML. The amount of effort and passion he gives the city and team is unparalleled. You don't just cut the identity of your team coldly because of "odds". Especially when he's proven and has done everything within his power to literally carry us. There's a certain line you don't cross, when you start putting "business" before common sense and loyalty it hurts your football team. ala Tate, Red, and Clemons.

Has nothing to do with "deserves." If it did, I would agree with you, I'm certainly a big fan of Marshawn's (his is the jersey I wear most often). What he has proven is that he's awesome today, he was awesome yesterday...nothing at all is proven about what's happening two years from now.

Obviously nobody is advocating putting business before common sense...I'm advocating that making a good business decision IS common sense. Running backs are the most replaceable commodity not only in football, but maybe in any major sport. It's the one position where you can actually count on rookies to make a big impact immediately (if they're good, of course), where you don't really have to spend a bunch of resources developing players.

I'm not going to be happy when it's time to move on from Lynch either, but I'm not going to advocate making an imprudent decision just because I personally like him so much.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Lynch has proven, in multiple games, that he is the most important piece of the puzzle.

The team may run with Wilson, but only because everyone has to focus to stop Lynch. And when Wilson is struggling? You can could on Lynch to keep drives alive pretty consistently.

Also, by the goal line? He is pretty much money. Go watch other teams insides the 5 and see just how often that can easily turn into a FG.

He might have an attitude? So what. He earned it. In fact, any player that carries 6-7 people an additional 8 yards on average can feel free to have an attitude too.

The idea that he has to like his coaches is ludicrous. For one thing, his OC has the intellect of a sea urchin, but for some reason decides to call games like he only has the intellectual capacity of a drunken sea urchin. I would flip my OC off too if I was consistently bailing out the team and they were doing everything they can to showcase their QB instead.

The guy produces when we look like we ran a casting call for OL instead of drafting solid for each position. He is dangerous as a receiving threat. He gets TDs and he consistently bails his QB out when his QB is struggling (to me this means Wilson is injured...we always have these weird issues and then find out Wilson was hurt in game X or game Y).

The day we cut Lynch is the day we should prepare ourselves to lose 2-3 extra games per year. Because that is the impact his loss will have.

chris98251

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":owb4afr9 said:
CHawK247":owb4afr9 said:

Has nothing to do with "deserves." If it did, I would agree with you, I'm certainly a big fan of Marshawn's (his is the jersey I wear most often). What he has proven is that he's awesome today, he was awesome yesterday...nothing at all is proven about what's happening two years from now.

Obviously nobody is advocating putting business before common sense...I'm advocating that making a good business decision IS common sense. Running backs are the most replaceable commodity not only in football, but maybe in any major sport. It's the one position where you can actually count on rookies to make a big impact immediately (if they're good, of course), where you don't really have to spend a bunch of resources developing players.

I'm not going to be happy when it's time to move on from Lynch either, but I'm not going to advocate making an imprudent decision just because I personally like him so much.

So CM is a second rounder and can't take the job away from a old man running back thats digging his own grave, while Arian Foster tears things up and was a UDFA and lights things up, now go look at the Cardinals and Rams and ask them if they would want a Marshawn Lynch over the last few seasons and if they would take him now based on his performances.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/OOwUXDJ3VbQ/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Best 3 yard td in history, it's what they are calling it.

https://vine.co/v/OOwUXDJ3VbQ/embed

sorry, couldn't embed it..

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
kearly":1t2g9qop said:
DavidSeven":1t2g9qop said:

Seconded. Wilson is in some kind of weird funk. This is the third straight game where he's had significant accuracy issues for at least half the game. Lynch's numbers might not always show it, but he's been a dominating force on a very consistent basis this season. Even in the games where he barely touched the ball, he was looking very good per touch.

I feel like I'm beating the same drum over and over, but mark my words, in a few years we are all gonna hear that what happened this past offseason with Russell and his ex and all that was really eating at him this season and destroying his concentration. Until then everyone will continue to go "oh not that can't be it!"

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
2 year/ 8 mill, 6 mill signing bonus. good thing I'm not a GM lol

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
nbk35zw":2j6yhl8j said:
Frank Gore says hi.

hahaha! The funny thing about "absolutes" is that they're never consistent. :)

Lynch is another Gore (but better imo). As another stated and I've also been saying it since he's joined, Lynch is "consistently" the best player on the field. If he's not giving 1000% busting yards, he's wearing defenses down yard by yard. You can't ask for much better.

Wilson's been off (but just a bit), but if you aren't factoring Oaks D and our line not giving adequate time you're not understanding how important Oline play is.

Take the win and move on.

dunceface

Reaction score
Lynch is already my all time favorite Seahawk.
Wilson isn't in a funk, he is trying his best to perform behind the worst o line play he has seen here and making little of it other than his spectacular drives here and there.
So yes we need Lynch next year and forever always or until our o line improves
...and people should quit with all this knitting circle BS

Love,
Seahawks fans everywhere forever

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Commit to Lynch at the running back position so that we can focus our draft and off season on the Oline and TE positions.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1i1pw3w1 said:
Commit to Lynch at the running back position so that we can focus our draft and off season on the Oline and TE positions.

Like that plan. Need OL and TE help first.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
Don't give him any more guaranteed money. Running backs usually really fade around 28-30 and he's 28.

themunn

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":r6l4hlbo said:

Replaceable running backs are replaceable. The 49ers have drafted the following players since 2011 at RB:

LaMichael James
Carlos Hyde
Marcus Lattimore
Kendall Hunter
Trey Millard

In drafting those 5, they have used 3 second round picks, a 4th round pick and a 7th round pick.

And they are still no closer to finding Frank Gore's replacement. When you are a team that relies on passing to open up the run, or have a remarkable O-Line, then finding a RB that is adequate is not difficult (albeit, not quite easy either).
When you are a team that wants to tell people "we want the ball, we're going to run it, and you are not going to be able to stop it even if you put 9 in the box", and you want that guy to be among the top 5 backs in the league year on year... you might have a little trouble.

But hey, I'm sure you'll be able to provide me with a massive list of guys that Pete could have drafted over the last...say 5 years in the draft that would have meant we could have moved on without a misstep.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
kearly":glucx3bm said:
DavidSeven":glucx3bm said:

Thirdeded.

BTW, I always love the astute businessmen that show up in these threads...

BlueTalons

Reaction score
I was thinking of starting a new thread but this seemed like a good place....

All this media talk about "phasing Lynch out" is way over-blown IMHO. To me, it's all part of Pete's master plan. You don't want to overwork you workhorse too early. Save him for the second part of the season where our truly meaningful, division games are.

If Wilson is our heart, Lynch is our blood. Lynch is a unique RB that is not easily replaced. He is not like SA; he doesn't NEED a dominant OL to be good. I think we would be taking more of a chance if we DON'T extend his contract to at least 32. If the RB position is truly expendable, then you take more of chance trying to replace Lynch than you do to keep him past his "shelf-life." A similar Seattle case in point: Randy Johnson.