Purposely tanking?

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t think we’re trying to tank…we would’ve unloaded DK if that were the case.

But, it’s going to look like we’re trying.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I don't understand why people think a good or better coach would be around the corner then.

Who goes to a team that is missing a QB, the roster is decimated, and the entire franchise is used to winning and now will be underperforming from the perspective of the fanbase?
A good owner could navigate this. A great QB could attract accomplished coaches AND solid FAs. We have neither.

It feels like we have an owner running this thing like a tax shelter or long-term investment. We will see if the reality is different. But this does not appear to be an involved ownership group. Maybe it gets sold to one.

The 9ers took three years to hire Shanahan. But coaches like that tend to bring their own luck.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
Just curious what you all think about this year. Do you think we are purposely tanking like I do or do you think Pete and Cos. are actually trying to win as many games as possible? IMO without acquiring the likes of Baker, Jimmy G ext… it appears that we are hoping to land a very high pick. Thoughts?
Thats funny. Research preseason games... specifically Pete Carroll and preseason games. Then tell me what you find.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
And what QB options are you referring too?
Mayfield, Mariota, Winston, Bridgewater, Foles,,,, ALL better than Geno Smith. If Jimmy G becomes available for free and we don’t pick him up the tank is on.

BASF

Reaction score
Mayfield, Mariota, Winston, Bridgewater, Foles,,,, ALL better than Geno Smith. If Jimmy G becomes available for free and we don’t pick him up the tank is on.
We have thirteen million in cap space. That amount is usually held in the pocket in case we need to bring in people after injuries. We have very limited options with that amount of money. We already have a lot of young people with little veteran leadership, and we would have to cut more veterans to make up the money to sign any of those QBs. This is the real world, not Madden.

Lagartixa

Reaction score

On how long a deal, and for how much money, with how much guaranteed?

Follow-up question, without even seeing the answers to the ones above: why do you think Garoppolo would accept such a deal?

Second follow-up: what would the Seahawks gain by signing Garoppolo? He's unlikely to want a short-term deal with a non-contending team with a mostly new offensive line and a largely new defense. What would the Seahawks gain by signing him to a multi-year deal, given that he's been proven to be bad at staying on the damn field (he's started almost the equivalent of three seasons, despite having been in the NFL for eight seasons), and that he's been shown to be "meh" even when healthy, and given that the Seahawks have the draft capital to get a top QB prospect in next year's draft?

Even if Garoppolo were to perform at the top of the range of what can reasonably be expected of him in 2022, he wouldn't be enough to make the 2022 Seahawks title contenders. So why would the Seahawks want him?

I just don't see Garoppolo and the Seahawks making any sense for each other at this point. It seems like it's in the best interests of both parties for them to stay away from each other.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
On how long a deal, and for how much money, with how much guaranteed?

Follow-up question, without even seeing the answers to the ones above: why do you think Garoppolo would accept such a deal?

Second follow-up: what would the Seahawks gain by signing Garoppolo? He's unlikely to want a short-term deal with a non-contending team with a mostly new offensive line and a largely new defense. What would the Seahawks gain by signing him to a multi-year deal, given that he's been proven to be bad at staying on the damn field (he's started almost the equivalent of three seasons, despite having been in the NFL for eight seasons), and that he's been shown to be "meh" even when healthy, and given that the Seahawks have the draft capital to get a top QB prospect in next year's draft?

Even if Garoppolo were to perform at the top of the range of what can reasonably be expected of him in 2022, he wouldn't be enough to make the 2022 Seahawks title contenders. So why would the Seahawks want him?

I just don't see Garoppolo and the Seahawks making any sense for each other at this point. It seems like it's in the best interests of both parties for them to stay away from each other.
So if you were the HC, you would be starting Geno or Lock as your best options and staying with them this entire season?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I think we are in a semi tank fully acquiesced to by Pete, FO and Jody.

Pete has a built in excuse now with his two placeholder QBs. The team beats Vegas spread by winning six games, or even slightly under at five, might be enough to keep Pete one more year. Then he gets another one because most rookie qbs do not show out in Year 1.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The moves they've made make zero sense if they aren't trying. I think Pete truly thinks his system is bigger than Russ was and this team is good right now. If he can get decent QB play who will play ultra conservative and not make mistakes then he thinks this team is really close. I think that's delusional but props to him for believing in himself. I think the Pete apologists are in for a long year though. Pete deserves a ton of respect for making this franchise a SB and playoff team year after year. We can argue if it was more because he lucked into Russ or not but regardless he deserves praise. I think sadly this is going to end really badly though because he's stubborn and probably past his prime

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
If the only alternative were a multiyear deal with Garoppolo? Yes.
They could have had traded for Baker, given up little and had him on a 1 year deal paying him little.

Way better than Geno or Lock

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, it's not even close. But some actually believe that Geno is just fine. No......not at all. And no, I'm not saying that Lock will be great either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The moves they've made make zero sense if they aren't trying. I think Pete truly thinks his system is bigger than Russ was and this team is good right now. If he can get decent QB play who will play ultra conservative and not make mistakes then he thinks this team is really close. I think that's delusional but props to him for believing in himself. I think the Pete apologists are in for a long year though. Pete deserves a ton of respect for making this franchise a SB and playoff team year after year. We can argue if it was more because he lucked into Russ or not but regardless he deserves praise. I think sadly this is going to end really badly though because he's stubborn and probably past his prime
What “moves” are you talking about? Resigning DK was a must for the long term prospects of the team. You don’t let a guy that young and unique walk. Again they are tanking for this year not long term.

rcaido

Reaction score
I don’t think we’re trying to tank…we would’ve unloaded DK if that were the case.

But, it’s going to look like we’re trying.
I think Seahawks fans would have freaked out. They will see DK pouting and temper tantrum by mid season, he will demand a trade if he cant get his stats. That way Seahawks wont be blame for trading him.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I don't understand why people think a good or better coach would be around the corner then.

Who goes to a team that is missing a QB, the roster is decimated, and the entire franchise is used to winning and now will be underperforming from the perspective of the fanbase?
A good owner could navigate this. A great QB could attract accomplished coaches AND solid FAs. We have neither.

It feels like we have an owner running this thing like a tax shelter or long-term investment. We will see if the reality is different. But this does not appear to be an involved ownership group. Maybe it gets sold to one.
I agree with much of what you say here.

It's like it's on autopilot until the PA non-sale clause/holdout is complete. It's like they are just maintaining some sort of 'status quo' until a sale.

I've sold a business. Just did a year ago. You do NOTHING when you're about to market. Stability and the perception of normalcy. Cover up all the warts and spackle whatever you need to.

Which, I can't help but notice, is what we seem to have going on here. I think honestly as much as I like alot of the personalities. Needs to be sold. House needs to be cleaned. Even JS. I see videos of him half-heartedly high-fiving himself (tom brady style anyone?) in the draft room after the draft this year - and i'm like 'cmon - trying too hard a little bit?'.

Love a lot. But it needs to be completely blown up. And not just players. I think the entire system is marking time at this point. I also think that there was a sneaky deal for JimmyG or Carr that fell through after/as part of the RW thing. It would explain all the false confidence and the 'don't look behind the curtain stuff'.

There is NO WAY that PC/JS are taking us NEAR another Owl. Those days are done.

Want to see something prophetic? Watch this. Enough said. Reminds me of how Julio Jones ******* ABUSED Sherman late in his stay with us. THAT was embarassing - and so is the video link following - i'll have to find the Jones link - it was horrific.

Again, I'll watch this season - but as I said last year with RW - days are NUMBERED here. You can ******* smell it. I don't know where the next front office is coming from - but it's coming.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Pete Haters (like me): He’s not trying to tank. He just sucks now though he was once good.

Pete Lovers today: He’s a competitor. He’d never tank.
Pete Lovers after a few losses: He is tanking on purpose.

Torc

Reaction score
😂😂😂1st or 7th rd he’s a bust. Small,slow and a cancer in the locker room. He isn’t going to amount to squat in Carolina, nor would he anywhere else.
Mayfield led the Browns to the playoffs.

THE BROWNS.

In the past 5 years, he has more playoff victories than the Russ-led Seahawks.

with THE BROWNS.

If that doesn't indicate some amount of talent, I don't know what does.