Purposely tanking?

seabowl

Reaction score
Just curious what you all think about this year. Do you think we are purposely tanking like I do or do you think Pete and Cos. are actually trying to win as many games as possible? IMO without acquiring the likes of Baker, Jimmy G ext… it appears that we are hoping to land a very high pick. Thoughts?

Ruminator

Reaction score
Since the Seahawks have two first-round picks and two second-round picks in 2023, I doubt they'll try to lose games this season, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if they're not as hell-bent on winning as they've been in past seasons, either.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
I dont think they would have re-signed Diggs and Woods, or insisted on acquiring Shelby Harris in the Russ trade, a player I'm sure Denver really wanted to keep given he was a defensive leader, if they were tanking. They might be outsmarting themselves, but I think they're still trying to win as many games as they can.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think they will TRY a and win. …but winning with severely limited talent at the QB position will be very tough.

sutz

Reaction score
I don't buy that they will intentionally tank the season. Intentionally losing isn't something that you can just flip a switch and stop doing. You play to win the game.

That's all I have to say in this discussion.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pete and John have a plan, which I believe to be to re-stock the cupboards with youthful talent and develop them.

With almost $50M in dead cap space this year, the opportunities to sign a veteran QB that could take the team to the playoffs were very limited, and every one of them weren't without risk. Pete was hoping for the best... hoping that Geno could play better than he has, and that Drew Lock would prove that he should get another chance as a starting QB. Unfortunately, neither has materialized.

Pete certainly wants to win now, and I'm guessing that he has some degree of regret for sticking with Geno and Lock. But, tanking? It's not in Pete's DNA, so I say "no way".

The die has been cast for 2022. The team will play hard but we're likely headed for the season that none of us wanted. Getting to 9-8 or 8-9 would be somewhat of a win.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Tanking? Not realistic or even logical at this time. We haven't even seen who is staying in final roster. Lock is going to be a key in this QB competition but he has not been available to show anybody his qualities (good or bad) with first team, whoever that might be. No, way too many variables yet to play out.

KinesProf

Reaction score
You don't purposefully tank in football. Way too violent of a sport for that and it would get a lot of people seriously hurt. And, it'd be absolutely awful for the culture that they are trying to reset.

That said, they'll likely have a losing record; but that doesn't = tanking. There's many parallels to the 2011 season, the last time they had a bridge qb season. That team wasn't tanking, they just didn't have quality at QB; but the foundation was being laid for an emerging young core.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Baker’s a bust.
If you drafted him Number 1 overall you might think that. But if you used a FOURTH round pick (or 5th) and we’re paying him $4.85 million this year he would be a great choice. Lock couldn’t hold his jock and Geno even be in the same league as Baker Mayfiele.

Rosco

Reaction score
If you drafted him Number 1 overall you might think that. But if you used a FOURTH round pick (or 5th) and we’re paying him $4.85 million this year he would be a great choice. Lock couldn’t hold his jock and Geno even be in the same league as Baker Mayfiele.
😂😂😂1st or 7th rd he’s a bust. Small,slow and a cancer in the locker room. He isn’t going to amount to squat in Carolina, nor would he anywhere else.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Just curious what you all think about this year. Do you think we are purposely tanking like I do or do you think Pete and Cos. are actually trying to win as many games as possible? IMO without acquiring the likes of Baker, Jimmy G ext… it appears that we are hoping to land a very high pick. Thoughts?
Let’s try a decision tree and see where we diverge.

do you think PC is trying to win?

If NO, then he is tanking without admitting he is tanking. And he is tanking because a team he 100% built is a loser.

IF YES then PC thinks he can WIN with Geno Smith or Drew Lock at QB. Two QBs that those much more objective than us here think are the WORST in the league.

I am not sure when I suggest that PC COULD have Traded for, Signed or Drafted several QBs better than what we have I get blow back. If he is too incompetent to do one of those three for a better QB WHEN he is TRYING to win he needs to go. If he is so arrogant that he thinks he can turn Geno or Lock into a winning QB with this team he needs to go.

to me, he just needs to,go.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
😂😂😂1st or 7th rd he’s a bust. Small,slow and a cancer in the locker room. He isn’t going to amount to squat in Carolina, nor would he anywhere else.
Time will tell but I think you football acumen matches your Dukes of Hazard moniker.

and what did you want to get Bakers record is better than the Seahawks - no matter who starts?

Rosco

Reaction score
Time will tell but I think you football acumen matches your Dukes of Hazard moniker.

and what did you want to get Bakers record is better than the Seahawks - no matter who starts?
My football acumen can’t be too bad, the entire NFL sees Baker the same way I do.
If Baker were any good, the Browns would never have gone after Watson. Even if they did, teams would have lined up to trade for Baker. Bakers 19M salary is peanuts in comparison to what the market is paying for starting QBs.

Rat

Reaction score
My football acumen can’t be too bad, the entire NFL sees Baker the same way I do.
If Baker were any good, the Browns would never have gone after Watson. Even if they did, teams would have lined up to trade for Baker. Bakers 19M salary is peanuts in comparison to what the market is paying for starting QBs.
Baker would have drawn more interest if he had been available earlier in the process. By then, most teams were already committed to somebody.