Purposely tanking?

Rosco

Reaction score
Baker would have drawn more interest if he had been available earlier in the process. By then, most teams were already committed to somebody.
Earlier in the process?! Baker was available within 1-2 days of the beginning of free agency. Once they signed Watson, Baker went on the trading block. Unfortunately nobody wanted him.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
This is a Seahawks forum and I think it is indisputable he is better than what we have. You can hate on him and any other QB suggested all you want but it doesn’t make it true.

so, Seahawks wins this year vs Baker Mayfield wins this year (who we could have had for a 4th rounder and $4.8 million of salary)? Who gets more wins?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Earlier in the process?! Baker was available within 1-2 days of the beginning of free agency. Once they signed Watson, Baker went on the trading block. Unfortunately nobody wanted him.
Nobody wanted him because he isn't worth near what they would have had to pay at that juncture. Then there is the diva thing that began during his college career and is still going. I'm still shocked he was picked so high in the draft, but because of that a lot of people are assuming he is worth selling the farm to get. He would have looked good in our QB competition but I don't think he has a thing on Lock, other than having been surrounded by tons of talent his entire football career.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Let’s try a decision tree and see where we diverge.

do you think PC is trying to win?

If NO, then he is tanking without admitting he is tanking. And he is tanking because a team he 100% built is a loser.

IF YES then PC thinks he can WIN with Geno Smith or Drew Lock at QB. Two QBs that those much more objective than us here think are the WORST in the league.

I am not sure when I suggest that PC COULD have Traded for, Signed or Drafted several QBs better than what we have I get blow back. If he is too incompetent to do one of those three for a better QB WHEN he is TRYING to win he needs to go. If he is so arrogant that he thinks he can turn Geno or Lock into a winning QB with this team he needs to go.

to me, he just needs to,go.
This is what I meant the thread to be about. By not acquiring one if the options out there like Baker etc. the team is flat out tanking without saying it. Just by even hinting at Geno being the starter on day 1 is all you need to know.

If they start him or Lock as their #1 they’re tanking and dong so to hopefully draft a top qb in the draft.

Rat

Reaction score
Once Watson signed, it was basically just the Colts and Seahawks who were desperate for a QB. The Saints were in on Watson, but clearly had Winston as their backup option. The Colts got Matt Ryan for a steal. Panthers eventually made an offer.

Nobody wanted him at his salary, I agree with that, but I think the timing of the situation made it difficult to negotiate a trade.

Regardless, he's much better than anything we have.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
Tanking is a valid NFL strategy when available players look like

Reggie Bush
Andrew Luck
Trevor Lawrence

Reggie Bush worked out for the Saints. He gave Drew Brees' Drew's only SB win.
Andrew Luck is a highly skilled architect.
Trevor Lawrence would concern me if I were in Indy, Nashville, or Houston.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't think Pete will tank. Well not intentionally.

Pete wouldn't lose a meaningless game against the 49ers that would have allowed us to miss the Rams (a team that owns us and him). In winning that game, we had a few key players injured that screwed us even further.

Pete won't lose intentionally. Not even if it is a massive strategic advantage.

And again, the valid question would be who we tank for?

So far, I haven't even got a clear idea IF there is a generational QB in this bunch. I don't see one. So what then?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
This is what I meant the thread to be about. By not acquiring one if the options out there like Baker etc. the team is flat out tanking without saying it. Just by even hinting at Geno being the starter on day 1 is all you need to know.

If they start him or Lock as their #1 they’re tanking and dong so to hopefully draft a top qb in the draft.
I certainly agree that acquiring our QB of the future via the draft has been the plan since deciding to let Russ go. Taking close looks at what was in the draft this year made them decide none of those guys were going to be the ultimate answer so they decided to improve talent and depth at other positions and wait for the much deeper QB draft next year. Looking at what was available on the open market brought them to the same conclusion.
They will do everything they can to win as many games as they can this year, believing a brighter future is just around the corner. I don't in any way consider that to be tanking.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Pete and John have a plan, which I believe to be to re-stock the cupboards with youthful talent and develop them.

With almost $50M in dead cap space this year, the opportunities to sign a veteran QB that could take the team to the playoffs were very limited, and every one of them weren't without risk. Pete was hoping for the best... hoping that Geno could play better than he has, and that Drew Lock would prove that he should get another chance as a starting QB. Unfortunately, neither has materialized.

Pete certainly wants to win now, and I'm guessing that he has some degree of regret for sticking with Geno and Lock. But, tanking? It's not in Pete's DNA, so I say "no way".

The die has been cast for 2022. The team will play hard but we're likely headed for the season that none of us wanted. Getting to 9-8 or 8-9 would be somewhat of a win.
This. I agree with this. I think the front office had higher hopes for what was in the cupboard and coming down the pike.

I've been saying we'll play 500 ball this season - and again, whether that's 400 ball or 600 ball - it's all semantics.

I like PC enthusiasm - but I just gotta wonder at this point - what's the ******* point? I get that lock and geno are a bit bustier than anticipated - but honestly - no one thought we were bound for another owl with them.

Pete's up there. I think he's got like 1 or 2 years on his contract. Not enough time for a rebuild and a draft of an amazing RW like replacement QB.

I hate to side with the naysayers, and I am looking forward to the season - but I think even though PC is 'happier' with RW gone - I think we're kinda rudderless for the next 1 or 2 years. He's a bit of a lame duck now - with not enough time before proper retirement to re-harvest/reload and rejig things for another run.

I wish that were not the case - but it's seemingly increasingly futile this season. Yea, we might have a couple DB's and a 3-4 thing, and we got 14 and no e. Just doesn't feel right when at game 2 preseason, PC is on the post game presser saying "we're doing a bunch of stuff that doesn't make you win football games.".

I think there was something in the works post Russell that didn't pan out the way they wanted.

My guess: 500 ball ish this year. Pete leaves at the end of the year. I don't trust him at this point (unfortunately) with a 3 year rebuild. I don't think he has the chops, no matter how 'happy' he is.

Redzone for the win this year - and we'll see how it goes. I feel like we're whistling past the graveyard at this point a bit - unfortunately.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pete's up there. I think he's got like 1 or 2 years on his contract. Not enough time for a rebuild and a draft of an amazing RW like replacement QB.

He's a bit of a lame duck now - with not enough time before proper retirement to re-harvest/reload and rejig things for another run.

I wish that were not the case - but it's seemingly increasingly futile this season.
Pete's current contract runs through the 2025 season, so he'll have three years after this season to draft the team's future QB and start the path back to the top of the league.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't understand why people think a good or better coach would be around the corner then.

Who goes to a team that is missing a QB, the roster is decimated, and the entire franchise is used to winning and now will be underperforming from the perspective of the fanbase?
A good owner could navigate this. A great QB could attract accomplished coaches AND solid FAs. We have neither.

It feels like we have an owner running this thing like a tax shelter or long-term investment. We will see if the reality is different. But this does not appear to be an involved ownership group. Maybe it gets sold to one.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
There’s no “tanking” in the NFL.

Carroll’s Head Coach and Schneider’s GM position isn’t guaranteed for next year.

You know how difficult it is to tell every coach and every player to half ass their performance?

No human playing a brutal sport like football will half ass anything.

They’ll get killed physically if they do.

A players pride and dignity will not allow him to tank any snaps, let alone, entire games.

rcaido

Reaction score
I really think Geno will be the fall guy. They used him to get rid of Russ. They will do the same when they trade either DK or Lockett. Or maybe even both during the trade deadline. They will then put in Lock after all the booing and losing. Probably the Carolina game.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
There’s no “tanking” in the NFL.

Carroll’s Head Coach and Schneider’s GM position isn’t guaranteed for next year.

You know how difficult it is to tell every coach and every player to half ass their performance?

No human playing a brutal sport like football will half ass anything.

They’ll get killed physically if they do.

A players pride and dignity will not allow him to tank any snaps, let alone, entire games.
It’s not about telling the players not to perform. It’s all about not acquiring a competent qb to run the O this year. When there were options. That is tanking.

balakoth

Reaction score
Just curious what you all think about this year. Do you think we are purposely tanking like I do or do you think Pete and Cos. are actually trying to win as many games as possible? IMO without acquiring the likes of Baker, Jimmy G ext… it appears that we are hoping to land a very high pick. Thoughts?
How did you think they would aquire Jimmy G? giving up draft picks knowing hes going to be cut?

I love these takes.. that dont go beyond... even simple logic

balakoth

Reaction score
This is a Seahawks forum and I think it is indisputable he is better than what we have. You can hate on him and any other QB suggested all you want but it doesn’t make it true.

so, Seahawks wins this year vs Baker Mayfield wins this year (who we could have had for a 4th rounder and $4.8 million of salary)? Who gets more wins?
He is.. but you want to be picking the same spots as when we had apparently a "top tier QB" ? to not go any further... Interesting