Pick #227, 7th Round: FB Kiero Small, Arkansas

hawksfan515

Reaction score
The one thing I don't get is smalls lack of athleticism. Apparently the Seahawks care about combine numbers and SPARQ scores. So, I go and look at the SPARQ scores for fullbacks... Lo and behold, look who's at the bottom:

2014Draft fB

86.2 rSPARQ, and even more pitiful 79.7 pSPARQ..... This pick just doesn't even seem Seahawk like to me because he isn't athletic.

hawk45

Reaction score
Highlight vids show me a kid who puts a huge smile on my face in terms of identifying the key defender to block and then breaking they teef off in they mouths

Not just on rushing plays but passing plays as well.

Lynch and Russ could be fighting over who is this guy's BFF if he does some of what I saw in that vid. Like what I see.

jake206

Reaction score
From Seattle Times

Schneider on Kiero Small: “He’s a total thumper, man. I like him a lot. He’s super tough, plays really low, digs guys out. He’s seriously tough. Pete C: He’s a great attitude guy, we love adding him to the team, because he is the epitome of the fullback.”

chris98251

Reaction score
If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":2uo1pfa8 said:
If we can see Lynch, Turbin, Michael get 3 yds untouched and into the second layer routinly I will be ecstatic. Everyone thinks it's a passing league and wants us to wing the ball, it looks fun but ask Manning or both of them how well that works when it counts against a team that can run and plays defense.
I agree to a point but ideally I'd prefer a 55/45 pass/rush ratio(Wilson passing it 30-32 times a game rather then 25).

themunn

Reaction score
HawkMeat":ghvgdfe6 said:
Crizilla":ghvgdfe6 said:
least fav pick so far
Agreed. This the only pick I generally don't like. Not the player, the position.

Disagree completely, even when MRob came back last year, our lead blocking was generally poor (hence why we ended up running a lot of plays without a fullback at all), and I am definitely not sold on Ware or Coleman as blocking fullbacks.

chris98251":ghvgdfe6 said:

This exactly, Lynch had 4.2 yards per carry in the postseason, but had an extremely impressive 2.8 yards after contact per carry - however, this means that on average he was making first contact after 1.4 yards, this is pretty similar to his regular season stats of 2.5 yards per carry after contact, with 1.7 yards coming before first contact.

If we can get our lead blocker to give Lynch a 3-4 yard headstart then he could post 2012 numbers all over agin

Threedee

Reaction score
Our goal line offense was dreadful last year. If this kid develops into an elite FB, then he's worth the pick right there.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Brock Huard did a couple of games. Interesting to hear what he has to say.

Also, Collins sure looks good in those vids.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
He's a really tenacious guy. An inch and a half taller and a lot of people are happier about this pick.

He's clearly been bought in for the competition, he's a tough competitor and I bet he motivates the other guys to step up their game. He nearly always picks the right guy to block, and in that respect Coleman could probably learn something from him. Who knows, he might even surprise a few people.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":7j2udiyk said:
Check out his lead-block at the 10 sec mark :twisted:

[youtube]xk2WAHkTDvI[/youtube]

Wait, he broke 26 of his own facemasks or just 26 total including others? That dude got popped.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
themunn":715ebn9i said:
HawkMeat":715ebn9i said:
Crizilla":715ebn9i said:
least fav pick so far
Agreed. This the only pick I generally don't like. Not the player, the position.

Disagree completely, even when MRob came back last year, our lead blocking was generally poor (hence why we ended up running a lot of plays without a fullback at all), and I am definitely not sold on Ware or Coleman as blocking fullbacks.

chris98251":715ebn9i said:

This exactly, Lynch had 4.2 yards per carry in the postseason, but had an extremely impressive 2.8 yards after contact per carry - however, this means that on average he was making first contact after 1.4 yards, this is pretty similar to his regular season stats of 2.5 yards per carry after contact, with 1.7 yards coming before first contact.

If we can get our lead blocker to give Lynch a 3-4 yard headstart then he could post 2012 numbers all over agin
I will try to pull up numbers from a couple years ago, but I recall rushing ypc was really good if not better without a FB in the play a couple years ago. The position isn't used all that much. Optimistic.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Some interesting notes on Kiero from Schneider's appearance on Brock & Danny:

--Brock Huard said Bret Biliema (Arkansas HC) told him before that Kiero Small was his favorite player on the Arkansas roster. Beliema describes him as a butcher knife; basically says he couldn't run his offense without him during his first season at Arkansas.

--Aaron Himeline (area scout, former fullback) was given the task of scouting all the major fullbacks, including J.C. Copeland (LSU), Jay Prosch (Auburn), Nikita Whitlock (Wake Forest), Trey Millard (Oklahoma). According to Schneider, Himeline liked Kiero Small the best of the group.

But note: in another interview, Schneider says their first choice in the 7th round was taken three picks before Kiero. Called it an "upset." Many are saying this was Beau Allen (Wisconsin NT, SPARQ beast).

themunn

Reaction score
HawkMeat":1lhslclw said:
themunn":1lhslclw said:
HawkMeat":1lhslclw said:
Crizilla":1lhslclw said:
least fav pick so far

chris98251":1lhslclw said:

I will try to pull up numbers from a couple years ago, but I recall rushing ypc was really good if not better without a FB in the play a couple years ago. The position isn't used all that much. Optimistic.

Of course it does - because A: going with a fullback means we're far more likely to run and defenses know it and key in and B: our fullbacks weren't very good last year

It's like how "3rd down running backs" seem to have a great average YPC, so why not use them on 1st and 2nd down? Eh because they're not actually all that good. But if you run out of I formation and can get 4-5 yards a pop, it opens up the passing game immensely - compared to the opposite when you go with 1 tailback, where the running game is opened up because teams are keying in on the pass - Pete's philosophy is to run to set up the pass, and if you have a good fullback it's a hell of a lot easier

lsheldon

Reaction score
Jville":3kat93k1 said:
Says he has broken 28 face masks in his college career.

He broke 26 last season blocking. He's a tank. I love this pick, having him lead block for Beastmode will be huge if he makes the cut...

Kiero Small broke 26 face masks while blocking last season for the Razorbacks.

http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/05/12/ ... ahawks-do/

This is some interesting tape on him against 4 teams. His motor never stops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ZtRbf4T8o