Pick #172, 5th Round: DT Jimmy Staten, Middle Tennessee St.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
chris98251":3bx9kewk said:
Had a lot of interest from multiple teams so he has something people saw. This years Jesse Williams maybe, teach and condition for next year.

They're finally catching onto Schneider. He scours police blotters. :mrgreen:

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":15ieqm8r said:
6'3", 305 lbs. No NFL.com grade or analysis. 5.11 40 yard. 5th year senior.

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/201 ... mmy-Staten

[youtube]jc-z2MNbOWE[/youtube]

Ha! No, I wasn't clairvoyant about this guy when I put the placeholder thread in. Sorry, Jimmy "The Placeholder" Staten, for your brand new nickname!

Our sixth pick of the draft. Discuss.

I'm guessing that's a different J. Staten, unless Jimmy converted from CB/WR to 300 pound DT in the last three years.

It would be hilarious if it actually was the same guy.

drdiags

Reaction score
I do think that there is a strong chance Brandon Mebane is cut next year. The contract/salary cap hit is low but it is $5.5M with about $200K of dead money if they cut him. That is a $5.3M cap savings. Hate to see Meebs hit the road but I see Avril moving on after this year and Meebs being a salary cap casualty.

BTW, I am going to adopt that Marsh kid as my Adopt-a-Rookie. He could be a surprise. Dude has a nice look to him as a defensive hell-raiser.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
So what exactly do we know about aside from the fact that he needs a new cellphone provider based on his phone interview after he was selected lol.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Timmahawk":d9wvhrxr said:
DT, needed for depth and competition.

Really? How many DTs does one team need...list of all DTs on the team so far -

Brooks, Michael

DT

6-3

East Carolina

Cherrington , Dewayne

DT

6-3

Mississippi State

Hill, Jordan

DT

6-1

Penn State

McDaniel, Tony

DT

6-7

Tennessee

Mebane, Brandon

DT

6-1

California

Smith, D'Anthony

DT

6-2

Louisiana Tech

Staten, Jimmy

DT

6-3

R

Middle Tennessee St.

Williams, Jesse

DT

6-3

Alabama

sutz

Reaction score
Only eight going into camp? That doesn't sound all that outlandish to me. It's all about the competition.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Seattle also uses 3 DTs at a time on first down. So you're talking about a potential 6 man rotation. 8 DTs in camp sounds about right to me.

etanate

Reaction score
Also, he was a team captain, like some of our other picks, that's clearly a trait this FO was looking for...

jake206

Reaction score
From Seattle Times:

Carroll on whether Staten is a 5-technique guy: “We’d like to play him inside, at the 3-technique stuff, and give us some good big-man play there. We think he can play some at the 5-technique as a swing position for him, but we’d like for him to really solidify a spot inside. We’re looking for a big body guy, so that’s why we’re happy to get him.”

“Staten, he was at the Players Association game, and had a really good week of practice, played well in the game. 3-technique, good first step, good hands. Still has a good upside on him. He had a knee injury that he overcame, that he worked through, but he missed a portion of the season, so there was a little chunk there.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I like this pick, because going into the draft I felt like the Hawks lacked another 'big' 3-tech in the Tony McDaniel mold....and McDaniel is pushing 30 and on a 2-year deal, which is structured more like a 1-year deal. If you look at our depth chart, the 'ideal' 3-tech's are D'Anthony Smith (6-2) and Michael Brooks (6-2). I consider both Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams better suited to the 1-tech role, and they're 6-1 and 6-3 respectively. I felt we needed another 3-tech with 'length' and a big/tall frame, and if you look at the draft board of those who fit that mold and had draft-able grades, there were only four......Tuitt, Hageman, Staten and DeAndre Coleman.....and Coleman is maxed out and brings injury issues to the table...and is less athletic than Staten. This was a good pick/flier. Was it a bit of a reach in round 5? Yeah, maybe. But if you like the guy (which they obviously did), and he sits well on your board, then you take him. I'm good with this pick. Fits a need, and the value works for me.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Jimmy Staten was a head scratcher for fans and draft heads, but not NFL teams.
Teams Staten worked out for :Chargers, Chiefs, Packers, Texans, Eagles, Jaguars, Raiders.

What do those teams have in common? Except for the Jags, who will run a 5 tech 3-4 guy just like we do, they are all 3-4 teams. There were a raft of 3-4 teams selecting in the 4 5th round compensatory picks right after us, and a bunch of 3-4 teams early in the 6th.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Finally, here's some tape available...thank you Aimal Arsalla/Draft Breakdown.

I don't see consistent penetration generated from him. Got good penetration at 240, but failed to complete the TFL. Seems to have a hard time disengaging from blocks. Hopefully his other games are better.
[youtube]CMOLfm4ESN4[/youtube]