Pick #199, 6th Round: OT Garrett Scott, Marshall

nwgamer

Reaction score
This pick looks prime for competition. Let's see what he has at Rookie Camp and let him know what positions to focus his studying on.

Rainger

Reaction score
Tical21":26newhbb said:
Big, strong, really athletic, good feet. Potentially a good pass blocker.. What am I missing here? Why the 6th round? That reads like a 1st rounder. Is he dumb as a rock? Take plays off? Can't run block?
They say he has a passive attitude. All though he has all the tools and body, I think he is a gentle soul and they are going to have to instill desire or meanness or something.

hawk45

Reaction score
I'm just ecstatic to see signs of not counting on Okung to be healthy all season long. If McQuistan is your plan B, you have no plan B.

jake206

Reaction score
From Seattle Times

Carroll on whether Scott can play multiple positions: “He could, but we like the shot of him playing left tackle, because he’s done it and it’s a difficult spot to find. He looked very comfortable there. Really has the kind of quickness and light on his feet ability that gives us the thought that he could do that. But, we always need our guys to be flexible, and he does help us there.”

Then, Garrett, he was kind of an under the radar guy, really quick hands, played in that Marshall, good angles, real nice first kick step. Competitive guy, just stays in front of people.”

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Largent80":28zbai9i said:
This pick could end up being the steal of the draft.

Golly....I read this phrase on nearly every player who was drafted...and even those undrafted. You and I know that there are only about five players who have a proverbial "snowball's chance in hell" to be on our 53 man roster.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
hawk45":3b1ehs8m said:
I'm just ecstatic to see signs of not counting on Okung to be healthy all season long. If McQuistan is your plan B, you have no plan B.

That's what I'm saying. The love for versality with o-line players by this staff is clearly understandable. We might not have been real great across the line but I'd say the verasatily that they've focused on has really saved our bacon the last couple seasons, and now hopefully they are upgrading that versatility. The big fella has missed significant time 3 of his first 4 seasons and has yet to play all 16 games.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
To give you an idea of just how athletic Garrett Scott is, he recorded the exact same time in the 3-cone drill at his Pro Day (7.09) that Paul Richardson recorded in the same drill at the Combine. And Scott weighs over 125 pounds more than Richardson. Scott's 3-cone time was also better than those clocked by Martavis Bryant, Kelvin Benjamin, Carlos Hyde, Eric Ebron, C.J. Mosely, Lamarcus Joyner and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, among others. And it was only .02 "slower" than that of Darqueze Dennard.

This is one nimble bigman.

razgriz737

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1bnz1knk said:
To give you an idea of just how athletic Garrett Scott is, he recorded the exact same time in the 3-cone drill at his Pro Day (7.09) that Paul Richardson recorded in the same drill at the Combine. And Scott weighs over 125 pounds more than Richardson. Scott's 3-cone time was also better than those clocked by Martavis Bryant, Kelvin Benjamin, Carlos Hyde, Eric Ebron, C.J. Mosely, Lamarcus Joyner and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, among others. And it was only .02 "slower" than that of Darqueze Dennard.

This is one nimble bigman.
I can't even wrap my head around that.

kigenzun

Reaction score
I liked this pick for the SPARQy athleticism, but personally thought they might have taken Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (LDT) for the brains & toughness combination. (I saw him mocked to us in the late rounds quite a few places, and he ended up going the very next pick to the Chiefs.)

Both guys were basically raw clay for Tom Cable to mould as he deemed fit.

We ended up going Garrett "Great" Scott, I believe, for the off the charts SPARQ, and the possibility of playing Left Tackle.

Unfortunately, he was waived just today, after the discovery of a rare heart condition. :(

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-offseason ... -condition

I pray it is a correctable condition over time. Perhaps he might be able to I.R., heal up, and still be able to pursue his dream of playing in the NFL sometime in the future; hopefully with the Seahawks.

Tough break. I wish him the best of health.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kigenzun":m9g1nfz1 said:
personally thought they might have taken Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (LDT) for the brains & toughness combination. (I saw him mocked to us in the late rounds quite a few places, and he ended up going the very next pick to the Chiefs.)
Yeah, that didn't make sense to me. But, after I saw the KC pick of LDT, I just rationalized that the Hawks must value Scott more than LDT. The Chiefs must have been targeting the guy and probably felt fortunate to still see LDT on the board after the Hawks drafted a Tackle. Hope that doesn't end up being a player they missed out on that was there for the taking. But, they must not have seen what they wanted in a player in him b/c they chose not to draft him.

halfrack

Reaction score
Hope it can be corrected and maybe even return to football. That would be so disheartening, to be drafted then have a heart condition discovered. What a fricking pisser. Poor kid, I'm praying for him.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Man, I really like this guy. Seems a good dude with the right attitude

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Genuinely expect his career isn't over and we'll see this player next season after he's had a year of hanging around the VMac and watching film while getting healthy and stronger.

If he doesn't ever play again that's sad, but somehow I think he wants to play and if he can clear his medical he'll be at camp next season.

Fingers