Pick #227, 7th Round: FB Kiero Small, Arkansas

theascension

Reaction score
JS compared him to Rock Cartwright so he might become a short distance RB as well? Can never have enough options with a once in a generation player like Lynch leaving in a year or two.

Jville

Reaction score
I could have sworn I heard 28 broken face masks ....... but it was only 26 ..... bummer ,

Maybe he will make up the difference in preseason.

Conference call >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Conference-Call-Kiero-Small/2bfd30dc-954d-4b13-be18-7e69a5fb67ba[/urltargetblank]

kearly

Reaction score
I don't have to like every pick, and I don't like this one.

He just looks like a little kid out there making blocks. Even at Arkansas, he looks a bit out of his league. Not much power or athleticism or size. Decently smart, but zero tools.

When trying to convert a 4th and 1 against the 49ers, Rams, or Cardinals, I'd like to a lot more "truck" in our lead blocker than what he provides. Seattle likes unique qualities but occasionally they outsmart themselves because of it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, Seattle always targets the weirdest fullbacks. A converted Heisman nominated QB, a lanky deaf guy and now a Volkswagen Beetle.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Not too sure about this pick either, I know we always like to have multiple FBs for training camp. But I think we could of gotten one as a UDFA.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm on to PC & JS. After leading one of the youngest teams in history into our first Superb Owl win, their goal is to take the shortest team in history into our second win next year.

-bsd

kearly

Reaction score
If anyone is going to give a midget FB a chance, it's a GM who is a former midget division III RB.

seabowl

Reaction score
cover-2":25z8v16r said:
I thought this was a laughable pick, that is until I watched the video provided. He has natural leverage to take on bigger defensive players, great initial quickness, tenacious as hell as a blocker, he plays to the echo of the whistle, nice hands for a FB, his head coach loves him because of his physical style of play...he will defiantly help improve our running game. He will no doubt be a fan favorite, and I could easily see him getting multiple Pro Bowls.

I would say HOF is a lock. :sarcasm_on:

ivotuk

Reaction score
Block at 3:45 was impressive. Kid is smart and almost always picks the correct player to block

gohogs14

Reaction score
Keep in mind he's only been playing FB for two years. Petrino brought him in a few years ago after he played LB in junior college

CANHawk

Reaction score
looks lik he has good instincts as a lead blocker. doesnt blow everyone up every time, but always seems to be in the right place. cant get mad at this pick.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Well, I do suppose none of us can say he can't make it because he's too short....

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kearly":35z7clm4 said:
I don't have to like every pick, and I don't like this one.

He just looks like a little kid out there making blocks. Even at Arkansas, he looks a bit out of his league. Not much power or athleticism or size. Decently smart, but zero tools.

When trying to convert a 4th and 1 against the 49ers, Rams, or Cardinals, I'd like to a lot more "truck" in our lead blocker than what he provides. Seattle likes unique qualities but occasionally they outsmart themselves because of it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, Seattle always targets the weirdest fullbacks. A converted Heisman nominated QB, a lanky deaf guy and now a Volkswagen Beetle.

Riiiiiiiiight.

Because Lead Blockers don't rely heavily on:
Leverage (to get underneath positioning and pancake defenders) ,
Mass (to inflict or parry forceful damage),
Intelligence (to know and understand Blocking Assignments)
Instincts (to react to your Intelligence quickly as well as improvise if need be),
Mind Set (the biggest one to me, really, to be a FB and be successful you have to be one tough badass and a glutton for pain and punishment, willing to not only dish it out on a daily basis but dine on a buffet of it yourself)

This Kiero Small guy seems like he possesses all of those things and could be a better FB prospect than either Coleman or Ware. He'll have to compete for it but Coleman will need to fend this guy off his roster spot, it won't be handed to him like it was last year with M-Rob getting sick and Ware getting hurt.

Either way Seahawks will get better FB play in the process, no matter how it plays out... Either Small is an upgrade or Coleman competes his ass off to stay on top.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Looks Like a great goal line back. It might take a year of practice squad First though.