Best draft in years

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Peyton Manning and Matt Stafford are 2 guys who I can think of off the top of my head who threw more interceptions than TDs in their first year in the league, both went on to win a superbowl.

Howell is a different case in that he effectively redshirted a year before starting, but those 2 were first overall picks compared to Howell's 5th round, so you'd have expected them to be more ready (Manning actually played 4 years in college to Stafford/Howell's 3).

Not saying by any means that indicates Howell is the next coming of Peyton Manning of course, but like both of those guys he was a guy playing in a dumpster team with little offensive talent around him. I don't think it's fair to rule him out. That said I don't expect to see much of him while Geno is here who I think still has what it takes to take us all the way - providing his supporting cast stays healthy (Geno last season was night and day with Cross/Lucas playing).

Manning and Stafford were 1st round talent. Coaches and evaluators knew what they had in those two. Howell is more akin to Jameis Winston than Manning or Stafford.

Seahawker

Reaction score
At this point I hope John has learned a lesson from the Adams trade and returns to team building through the draft. No way he should have carte blanche over any trade involving 1st & 2nd round picks without approval from ownership. That bridge has been burnt.
John got his get out of jail free card after going under water with the cap, it's time to keep things on the upside now.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Peyton Manning and Matt Stafford are 2 guys who I can think of off the top of my head who threw more interceptions than TDs in their first year in the league, both went on to win a superbowl.

Howell is a different case in that he effectively redshirted a year before starting, but those 2 were first overall picks compared to Howell's 5th round, so you'd have expected them to be more ready (Manning actually played 4 years in college to Stafford/Howell's 3).

Not saying by any means that indicates Howell is the next coming of Peyton Manning of course, but like both of those guys he was a guy playing in a dumpster team with little offensive talent around him. I don't think it's fair to rule him out. That said I don't expect to see much of him while Geno is here who I think still has what it takes to take us all the way - providing his supporting cast stays healthy (Geno last season was night and day with Cross/Lucas playing).
By the time Peyton Manning's rookie contract was up, he had thrown exactly 100 INT's. Can you imagine that in today's NFL? I don't think any team or fanbase these days, would want to keep a QB with that many INT's so early in his career.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Manning and Stafford were 1st round talent. Coaches and evaluators knew what they had in those two. Howell is more akin to Jameis Winston than Manning or Stafford.
Except that Jameis Winston was also the overall number 1 pick. I'm gonna say that Howell will have a better career than Winston and probably 3 of the top 6 QBs in the '24 draft.

WarHawks

Reaction score
We are going to waste the next two years finding out that he's not the answer, when most of us already know that.
Except that Jameis Winston was also the overall number 1 pick. I'm gonna say that Howell will have a better career than Winston and probably 3 of the top 6 QBs in the '24 draft.
Based on what?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score

Its why I compared him to Winston. He's going to be a journeyman QB that will show some flashes, but will never be the guy that can elevate his team.

I seriously doubt Howell will have as good as career as Winston and 3 of the top 6 QB's this year. He'd be starting over Smith if he had that kind of promise.

toffee

Reaction score
For what it's worth (and of course very subjective), the Seahawks were 1 of only 3 teams to receive an 'A' grade from the draft (the other two being the Steelers and the Chiefs).

First time to get an A in recent memories, we were always C, D if not F.

The Breh

Reaction score
To start with Howell was a 5th round pick. There's a reason for that. Again, i'm not disagreeing with you that the Hawks shouldn't have concentrated on a QB this year, it's just I can't believe that people are claiming that Howell is the QBotF. He isn't.
We needed a backup QB.
We got one with upside and recent experience.
Which QB were we to pickup with the pick we spent?

Doesn't matter. Our experienced GM with access to more knowledge and resources chose Sam over whoever that would have been.
How easy must it be to cast him away and think some rookie would have eclipsed his role or potential production.
The QB crapshoot in the draft is never a sure thing.
We've seen Sam go toe to toe with the Eagles twice last year show guts the rest of the year. That's more than what can be guaranteed from those 3rd round and after rookies.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We are going to waste the next two years finding out that he's not the answer, when most of us already know that.

Based on what?
Howell doesn't have to be "The Answer". He just has to be our "Tyler Huntley" or "Drew Lock" for a couple seasons, filling in when Geno is unable to go, and starting a few games and going .500 in those games. Anything more is gravy. Lock's win over the Eagles last season was a Seahawks classic.

Huntley is 3-5 with more Ints than TD for his career.
"Huntley has made eight starts during his time with the Ravens. He has a 3-5 record and has completed 65.6 percent of his passes for 1,754 yards, five touchdowns and seven interceptions. Like Jackson, he is a good scrambler and has run for 454 yards on 100 career carries with three touchdowns."

toffee

Reaction score
At this point I hope John has learned a lesson from the Adams trade and returns to team building through the draft. No way he should have carte blanche over any trade involving 1st & 2nd round picks without approval from ownership. That bridge has been burnt.
John got his get out of jail free card after going under water with the cap, it's time to keep things on the upside now.
sorry, Schneider and Adams are in talks to come back. Just to make Schneider's task more challenging, 9ers expressed some interest in signing Adams too.

Seahawker

Reaction score
All this handwringing over not drafting a QB. We don't know how John viewed them but:

8 Penix- Falcons
10 McCarthy- Vikes
12 Nix- Donks

Who knows if one or more had fallen to 16. It's going to be interesting to see how this QB class turns out in time.
I'm rooting for Geno & Sam.

olyfan63

Reaction score
We needed a backup QB.
We got one with upside and recent experience.
Which QB were we to pickup with the pick we spent?

Doesn't matter. Our experienced GM with access to more knowledge and resources chose Sam over whoever that would have been.
How easy must it be to cast him away and think some rookie would have eclipsed his role or potential production.
The QB crapshoot in the draft is never a sure thing.
We've seen Sam go toe to toe with the Eagles twice last year show guts the rest of the year. That's more than what can be guaranteed from those 3rd round and after rookies.
So totally THIS. I was watching Howell in several highlight packages over the season, and thought, wow, Washington got a QB who is developing nicely!
I don't think we can conclude a whole bunch about Howell from his time in Washington, other than he can be a decent NFL QB, and he was limited by Washington's lack of run game, but he showed a lot of heart and toughness and came within a hair of beating the Seahawks on the road.

I think Howell has upside beyond what people are giving him credit for. Will he achieve that upside? I don't know. He has enough weapons, he MAY have a serviceable running game, he MAY have decent O-Line protection. Can he unlearn bad habits from Washington? Will our coaching staff connect with him? All unknowns. As I said, if he is simply a serviceable backup, can go .500 in his starts, that's as much or more than we can hope for. Anything more is gravy.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Lombardi had high praise for John. Says trading for Howell was a steal. A ton of love for Murphy.

The conversation starts at the 32:00 min mark for those interested.

Last edited:

seahawks08

Reaction score
I feel last year draft for us was better given the number of picks and the order in which we drafted. This year felt like we didn’t have the leverage to pick early or in round 2. I personally would have traded someone to gather more picks and draft earlier presuming earlier picks have more upside than later picks. The excitement I am looking more is the system being implemented and maximizing talent that has to happen to leap and be atleast a close second in the division.